*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1758535-St-Xaviers
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Entertainment · #1758535
A contest entry about a year at collage.
St Xavier's

Ashalia grew up in Bendigo Victoria in Australia, she was a bright student who found school very enjoyable. Although she was somewhat of a social outcast her small group of friends made high school an enjoyable experience. Ashalia has been labeled in many different ways, some would say she was part of the goth crowd or maybe she was an emo, others said she was a nerd and a goody goody whilst others still said she was dark and dangerous.
Ashalia didn't believe in stereo types like that, she was who she was, true, parts of her personality fit with all the groups people tried to pigeon hole her into but the truth was she didn't quite fit in with any of them. She liked to dress in bright bold clothes and wear things that made her standout, she loves talking to people and enjoys learning about everything. At school she was studious and was well known for asking a million questions, too much information was never enough for Ashalia. Applying for a place at the institute of science and technology or the IST as it was also known was the focus of her entire education, she was determined to work in forensics. Blood spatter in particular interested her or perhaps specializing in working with bones would be cool. Whatever she decided she was glad to have her best friend Paul there with her, Paul was gay and had been her best friend ever since they were in kindergarten together. Paul was also studying forensics at the IST but he wanted to focus more on crime scene investigation Some day Ashalia and Paul hoped to work together solving crimes. But for now there were best friends and study partners.


I was walking to my dorm feeling a little self conscious, I had changed my look a little since coming to college and it still felt a little strange to me. I was trying to tone down my out there style, after all I wanted to be taken seriously here.  I was still defiantly me, just a little more refined. I glanced at the cute black dress I had just brought, it was different for me but I really liked it. It was to wear to the Introduction dinner tonight where my parents were coming to see St. Xavier's and have a chance to meet the staff here. Oh boy, I thought, this is going to be interesting.


I spotted Paul as soon as walked through the doors, he broke out in a great big smile and practically pranced over to me. When Paul is excited his gayness just kind of explodes from him. It had always made me smile, he came and gave me a great big bear hug 'Oh my god there are some grade A hotties here' he gushed at me 'I know, theres this one guy in my math class that is definitely yummy' I said with a wicked smile 'your team or mine?' he asked 'I'll have to say mine judging by the look he gave me, I tell you what I like to do to him...' 'Mrs. Arnade' Paul thankfully cut me off as my parents appeared behind me. Thank you I mouthed to him, he winked and went to give my Mum a hug hello. 'Well I'm pleased to see you looking so lovely' said my Dad giving me a wide smile. Dad didn't really care how I looked but my dress sense (or lack thereof according to my mother) was kind of like a private joke between us 'Honey, you look very nice' said Mum nodding her approval 'How have you settled into your dorm dear' she asked me, Paul excused himself as his parents had just arrived and I continued talking to my parents and answering there questions. It wasn't long before Paul's parents joined us and they all started chatting together. My parents and Paul's had been friends ever since our Mums meet at the same prenatal class. When we were younger they used to joke that we would end us married together with a bunch of kids, we still joke about that. The time came for our introductions I was after Paul who had just informed all the girls that he was very sorry for dashing there dreams because he was gay and made no excuses for it, his favorite singer was lady gaga and he wanted to be a crime scene investigator. Really how was I supposed to follow that up, 'Hi' i said sounding more nervous than I felt 'My name is Ashalia but my friends call me Ash. Paul here is my beast friend, we grew up together in Bendigo. Music wise, don't laugh, I like fall out boy, simple plan and the living end, oh and panic at the disco and Adam Lambert. I really like music. Um...I'm studying  to become a forensic investigator at the IST. I guess my only hobbies are reading and my music.' I finished my pathetic introduction and shoot Paul a look, he just rolled his eyes at me and smirked. He knew how awkward I felt. The rest of the event went by without much excitement and before long it was time for the parents and staff to leave.

Paul grabbed my hand as soon as they were out the door and dragged me away 'we don't have long to get beautiful' we rushed off to Paul's dorm which was closest and I quickly ripped off my dress and threw my top and skirt that had been shoved in the bottom of my bag. Yes I get changed in front of Paul, hello we have been friends like forever plus he ain't interested in boobies. He agrees with me their just kinda weird. Actually when it comes to what we do like our tastes are remarkably similar. Which is great because if one of us likes a guy then the other is practically guaranteed to get along with them as well. I fixed up my make up and Paul 'did' his hair, I don't get that about guys they scratch their heads over and over until apparently it looks good and thats it. When we were both satisfied with the way we looked  we hurried back to the rezzie introduction.
There were heaps of people already here and the booze was already flowing I went and got a beer for Paul and I and scoped out a good place to sit and check out everyone else. It wasn't long before I spotted the guy from my math class, he was seriously hot. He had kind of ling black hair that fell to one side of his face and a lip piercing that I totally loved. That was one of the things I found incredibly sexy in a guy, along with a sexy voice and nice hands. This guy had it all, I knew from class that his name was David and that he was smart, not like nerdy smart but sexy smart. Paul followed the direction of my gaze and whistled 'boys just your type Ash' he winked at me before pooping up from his seat, I went to grab him before it was to late but I missed. I knew exactly what he was doing, I watched in horror as Paul went straight over to David and within moments they were both walking back together to me. David smiled his sexy smile at me I felt a little jolt of lightening in my chest 'Hi, Ash right?' he extended his hand I took it and was surprised when instead of a hand shake he pulled me up from my seat and said 'wanna dance?' Hell yes I thought 'sure' I said walking past him and into the crowd. I flashed a look at Paul who mocked smacking himself on the hand, yes you are a naughty boy I thought. He knew that when It came to guys I was in my element on the dance floor, Paul and I had always danced and now we had gotten pretty good at it. I was intensely aware of Davids eyes on me as I started to move in time to the music. We had been dancing for a while when I noticed Paul beside me dancing with another cute guy, I winked at him and kept dancing. Suddenly lady gaga's Bad romance came on and Paul piratically shrieked in joy, this was totally what he had been waiting for. As dorky as it sounds we had a routine worked out for this song, Paul must have requested it. It was a sure fire way for us to get the attention of the guys in the room. We started our moves and almost instantly a circle oped up around us, the crowd was whooping and getting into it as Paul and I stepped perfectly in sync before breaking off and busting out our sick moves. By the time the song had ended we were both panting and laughing and the crowd were all cheering and slapping us on the back.
We were here, there would be few people who wouldn't know us now. We had always found this a great way to break the ice with people and be generally accepted by everyone. I grinned in pleasure. This was just the beginning of my new life at St Xaviers.


I turned over in my bed for something like the one millionth time that night trying in vain to find a cooler spot on my fold out cot. I should have just admitted defeat by now, in this weather cool didn't exist when you were sleeping. Thats why we were in the rec room, at least it had air con in here, although with so many bodies all sleeping in the one area it wasn't a great deal better than our dorm rooms. One good thing about it was that I got to sleep right next to Paul, we had gotten in trouble for talking to late but it had been fun. Its been a long time since we'd had a good old slumber party. We had been gossiping and checking out all the pj's everyone was wearing. Seriously I swear some of the girls here had rushed out and brought a new ones just for the new arrangement. Me, I was in the same thing I always wore to bed. Nothing fancy, just cool and breathable. 

Luckily it was time for us all to get up before long and get stuck into our first day, I went back to my room and quickly changed into my jeans and a top and matched my favorite green pair of Mary Jane shoes with a cute silk scarf I had. I grabbed my old satchel and headed out to my classes. I had math first and I already knew that David was in my class so I was more than happy when he sat right by me. Hello handsome. The rest of the day went by without any drama (except my drama class ahhahaha) and the rest of the week was pretty much the same. I got into some serious flirting with David and agreed to be his date for Orientation day. Unfortunately for us orientation week had been cut down to just one day due to some excessive craziness in the past, but there were a few cool things set up to do so I was still looking forward to it. When Saturday finally rolled around Paul and I got up and had our favorite breakfast of Vegemite toast and Milo before getting dressed. I pulled on my cute pink bikini, cargo shorts and a little mesh top. I was all for bearing skin in this weather but there was no way MY boobs were popping out on the slip and slide today.

Paul was busy telling me his secret technique for the slip and slide as we approached the set up on the lawns. When my turn came I ran up and threw myself down it as fast as I could, no delicately sliding trying to look all sexy for me. I reached the end and thankfully stopped before chewing down on the soapy wet mud at the bottom of it. Paul was right behind me and took a long run up, he had oiled himself with baby oil before we got here to give himself some extra slip. He careened down way faster than anyone else and when he got to the very end of the slip and slide he just kept going. Had not a whole bunch of people been standing there watching I'm not sure he would have stopped. He was crowned the king of the slip and slide and we left laughing and having a great time. We had both come prepared for the mud fight quickly slipping on white clothing we joined the fray, mud flew everywhere and David turned up about half way through. He grabbed me and threw me into a pool full of it, not one to lay down and just take it I pulled him in after me and we wrestled in the mud. By the time the fight was over there was not a patch of white to be seen on anyone. We all headed to the showers to scrub up for the glow party that was being held in town.

Everyone said not to dress all in black, but seriously I could find nothing cuter than my black lace corset and cute skirt so I just went for it. David came and picked me up for our date and took me to the club. We were dancing away on the dance floor when Paul and his date Ryan showed up and joined us. The lights pulsed in time to the music and the bass thrummed through the floor. We were almost all danced out when David pulled me away and out of the club to a small coffee place not far away. We sat down and drank coffee and just talked about everything. I knew that we really connected well and I was thrilled when after he drove us back to st Xavier's he leaned in a gave me an adorable goodnight kiss. It was perfect, soft and gentle and sweet, then a little more intense before he pulled away. It wasn't the sort of kiss that said I want you to invite me up to your room, it was more like I really like you and cant wait to see you again. Which was just as well, the only boy that had ever been invited up to my room was Paul and that was the way things were going to stay for quite a while. But I had to admit I did feel bolt of lightening when his lips touched mine and I was looking forward to kissing him a lot lot more.

I smoothed down the front of my pants, I felt a little odd still in this outfit but this interview was really important to me. The end of the first year was upon us and even I had to admit my style had changed quite a bit. My studies had been thrilling and I had had the opportunity to meet some of the leading people in the forensics field. I quickly came to realize that my own unique sense of style could only get me so far, I was still all myself but I had toned the crazy way down when necessary, like today.
I strode into the office and over the next half and hour I was questioned about how I would manage events and reproducibilities if I was to get the position. I gave my most straight forward answers and by the time the interview was done I felt good about how it had gone. I had said I thought I would make a great event planner and had shared some of my ideas, they had gone down quite well and I was feeling good about it all.
Paul was waiting for me at the end of the hall 'so?' he asked 'I don't think I stuffed it up, I think I did ok actually' he did a happy little jiggle and gave me a quick hug 'I really hope you get it Ash, we would throw some awesome parties' I raised my eyebrow at him 'we?' he shoved me good naturedly and said 'as if I would ever leave you to do it on your own' we both giggled. 'So what are you wearing for the spa day tomorrow?' I shrugged I hadn't really thought about it 'did you ask Ciara about coming with us?' I asked, Paul had been quite put out by the fact that his name hadn't been automatically on the list for the spa day I had had to have a talk with him about it. I had suggested he just go ask Ciara, she was a really cool girl and I knew that she would discreetly ask the other girls if they would mind. He stopped walking beside me and dropped his head down a fraction putting on that cheeky look I knew all to well 'of course she said yes' he said rolling his eyes at me. I shoved him in the shoulder 'so then the question really is what will you be wearing tomorrow?'. Paul babbled on about how he had come to his ultimate decision in clothing all the way back to the dorm and the next morning as we were lining up for the bus that would take us I could see he had changed his mind again and then possibly again after that. Similar to Paul I had chosen a plain white shirt and a comfy pair of shorts, we both reasoned that the ability to get in and out of the clothes was much more important than how they looked after all most of the day would be spent in white fluffy robes and flip flops anyway.

The day at the spa was heavenly Paul and I had manicures and pedicures followed by a full body wrap followed by a massage with essential oils. We were both relaxed and sipping detox juices while we had our hair seen to. I had decided on a very classic updo to go with my purple and black dress. When everything had been done Paul gave me an appraising look and concluded I looked ready to party. We had been gossiping all day about the formal and who would be going with whom. It was a bit of a tradition for the guys not to tell the girls until the last moment I was almost certain David would be taking me but I wouldn't put it past him to pull something on me for fun. It was a bit different for Paul he was going to ask a guy he had had a crush on for a while now but he wasn't sure if he should wait to see if Daniel would ask him first or should he just go for it and ask him straight away.

As luck would have it he didn't need to stress as we were walking up to the formal together Daniel was standing out the front and they both asked each other at the same time. I had to stifle a laugh, they were so cute together. I was on my way in after them when a soft touch on my shoulder caused me to turn around 'David' I said in surprise, I hadn't heard him coming 'Ashalia' he said extending his hand 'will you do me the honor of attending the formal with me?' I smiled what I hoped was my most dazzling smile and took the proffered hand 'I would be delighted' I replied mimicking his formal tone. The night was beautiful and so much fun Ciara had really outdone herself on this one I thought, the food was amazing and the wines were top quality. David and I danced to the band and when it came to a slow romantic song he spun me around the floor and made me feel as much like a Disney princess as any real girl can. Tonight was the perfect end to a great year of school. Looking back I could see just how much I had grown and changed and everything was for the better, I felt happy and content and I couldn't wait to start the new year to come, here at St Xavier's.
© Copyright 2011 Natbutterflyblue (missblue at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1758535-St-Xaviers