*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1758653-The-Wooden-Bear
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Inspirational · #1758653
A young boy discovered the real meaning of happiness by the little child's generosity.


                I never realized that the smallest possible event that I encountered would entirely change my philosophy and my life. How did it happen? The answer lies in this story. It was almost midnight when I, feeling light-hearted, took my usual walk going home. The stars were glittered brightly in the velvet sky and the light that came from the moon serve as my guide. While watching the wonderful painting of the night, I remembered what happened this day.



              Every morning at four, I pick up the newspapers and delivered it from house to house, then I think around six, using my bicycle, I start selling hot pandesal in our neighborhood. Leaving from my sideline at eight, I had to take a little brunch before I went to work at nine in a near souvenir shop. Although my work was a bit tiring for a twelve year-old boy, I had no choice but to work as hard as I could because living in our solitary town, poor children of my own age did not usually went to school.



              Back at the shop, it was one of the sunny afternoons where few customers visited and bought some souvenirs. However, before I took my one o’clock lunch, a family entered and started looking around. I showed them our articles though I knew there were chances that they would not go to buy. But then, a little girl at the age of six fancied buying the wooden bear at the display table. She started pointing it to her father, eagerly wanting it to be hers. Surrender by the charm of his child, the father reluctantly orders to buy a cheap one. After I pack the wooden bear, I gave it to the daughter who had a ready smile on her eyes.



              The family was already several feet away from the shop when the girl came back. Holding the bear at her hand, she said, “This bear belongs to you. Please keep it for me, okay? You deserve a better gift. This would make you smile.” After giving it to me, she hastily ran back to her family. Amazed by that, those statements were still ringing in my ears giving me strength to dream a better life.

© Copyright 2011 A.L. Hen (alhen_1475 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1758653-The-Wooden-Bear