*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1758867-Life-Goes-On
Rated: E · Other · Emotional · #1758867
You can't change what has happened.
As I was walking around in the market, following Mother, roaming around in search for the day's dish, my mind wandered back to the time when the most devastated earthquake in history took place: a magnitude of 8.9 earthquake has just invaded Japan without warning.

Converting the time, it would've happened around yesterday afternoon (11th March 2011) at my current location where I was still in school, preparing for the upcoming Uniform-Body Marching Competition. The sky was gray; droplets of rain falling from the clouds, as if the Gods and Angels in Heaven were shedding their tears for all the burden and misfortune the people of Japan had to suffer for; the cold albeit cooling weather a blessing to us but a reminder of something bad to others.

The market was as lively as ever: people wandering around like ants in search of food; fishmongers selling their catches; butchers measuring the right amount of meat; farmers trying to make a profit after a hard day back at home; the sound of cheap clothes sales and chit chat filling the air. It was still the same.

People in Japan had experience the worst ever recorded earthquake magnitude in history and are still posting videos, images, tweets, news, and more onto the internet, showing us what really happened there without really being there ourselves.

We see waves coming in one after another, crashing into ships, boats, harbors, buildings, houses, landmarks, vehicles, lives... Ships got overturned; cars got piled up one another; planes being swept off their lanes; buildings in bricks and pieces; people on top of roofs.

Hell, an industrial building got blown up as fire rushed out of the building to rise in the air to form an over-sized glowing mushroom. And while this happened, people living nearby (or faraway but close enough to witness the whole thing) could only stand by idly, watching as the sky darkens, illuminated only by the afterglow of the explosion. Wondering whether is this the sign where their lives would end.

Citizens of Japan were still in motion of their daily routine: going to work, going to the bank, going to school, going somewhere. When all of a sudden, the ground shook, tremble. At that moment, the clock stopped. Everyone stood still, is it just me or the ground's shaking? Water in the cups starts forming mini waves; the ceiling fan begins to sway; pencil holders begins to jump.

Grab onto something! The first thought that came to their mind getting rid of their state of stupor. Inside buildings, they glance around one another; outside, everyone just stood. Both groups waiting for the quake to subside. What they didn't know was that the prefectures facing the ocean were being hit by gigantic waves.

After about half an hour, I came across the newspaper stand. Every newspaper, be it English, Chinese, or even Malay, were putting Japan's aftershock view as headline news.

The view of Natori City in northeastern Japan in chaos; Balls of fire rising out from the burning oil refinery in Ichihara in Chiba Prefecture; Tsunamis sweeping the shore along Iwanuma.

They were all staring back at me.

As I marvel on the horrible situation in which Japan is in, my thoughts drifted back to the atmosphere in the market.

People walking pass me as they go on about their business; children being held by the hand by their parents; women talking about the latest market-gossip; the 'hellos' and 'thank yous' exchange.

I wonder: did whatever happened in Japan not affect us at all? We still go around our morning routine, yet we do not bat an eye about the fray that happened in our neighboring country?

Somehow, I do not believe this true.

Looking closely, it has affected all of us in a way.

Parents are gripping too tightly onto their child's lithe hand; women smiling politely to one another; more chit chat about each others families; the sellers hoping to make more profit to be able to grant the wishes of their loved ones at home; buyers buying more stuff than usual; workers working harder and obeying without retort.

I glance about as these events took place. Outside, they might be smiling, laughing, chuckling, giggling, grinning. But inside, they're just hoping that they will be able to pass this day without worry; to finish work early to return back to their loved ones; to be able to rush home to spend more time with family; to savor each and every moment while it lasts.

They say the world might be ending by the end of 2012. Everyone who hears that scoff at the idea, saying it's too early to be ending. Global warming is happening, earthquakes are acting, tsunamis are attacking. What more of a sign do we really need?

In the end, it's just life... We face obstacles and hardship every day. Tsunamis happen, and people will hide in fear, then stand up, and start to pick up bits and pieces of their lives again. Earthquakes happen, and the same thing is being done by everyone as they thank God for being alive, picking up fallen objects, asking their friends about their conditions, and packing more supplies in preparation for the next worst disaster.

We might have lost loved ones be it famous or not, be it family nor friend, be it partner or foe, be it known or unknown. But, we still move on.

And life just goes on...
© Copyright 2011 VinBlack (vinblack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1758867-Life-Goes-On