*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1766091-Distant-hearts
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1766091
‘We both reach for heavens but ours aren’t the same’
He was a silent person,or rather he is. Never speaks much, cold eyes, looks straight. Anyone would think ‘My gosh, what an evil person!’ who can blame them?

But beneath Peter’s eyes was a child. Soft, shy, but he was afraid to show it to the others. The man was a genius. Always studied hard. Peter had a target-to, someday-practice medicine as a successful doctor. It was his dream.

Peter went to some extra classes apart from schooling, to get some extra knowledge to better his grades. He may be a silent person, but he never was afraid to talk to the teachers, a common fear that his friends had. There were many other fears-insane fears-handed from generations to generations in the society they knew. Fears like boys talking to girls and girls talking to boys for an example.

Peter’s favorite was Biology. He went to professor Segmonte’s class to study the functioning of animals and plants. Life was that common for Peter until one day.

One evening before the class starts Peter was reading some notes outside the building. His friends chatting and girls doing the same in a different place away from them. Three young girls came and joined the others. Peter noticed that one of them was much more interesting than any other girl he has ever seen.

That girl was Revana. Tall, dark eyes that matched her dark hair which was cut in a bob cut style. She, unlike other girls, was not smiling. ‘She is shy’ Peter said to himself. ‘Just like me.’

Class was as interesting as ever, but for Peter it was more so. He carefully inspected and watched Revana’s every movement. Her lips are pretty, he thought. So is her face. She is so charming.

Suddenly Revana raised her head and quiet accidentally their eyes met each other. But that was for a very short time. They both looked away red with shy.

Next week Peter waited before the class starts until she comes. The whole week he missed her face. And finally she came. He felt like a great stone blocking his veins and air supplies as she went passing him in to the classroom. He wanted to say ‘Hi’. But fear grabbed him each time he tried. He cannot talk to her and that’s for sure.

Revana on the other hand felt very uneasy as she passed him in to the classroom. She, never in her life, has smiled to a boy. But she really wanted to smile at Peter. But she too, like Peter, had no guts.

‘What would she say if I talk to her, I wander. Will she talk to me or will she walk away? If I talk to her the other girls and boys will surely laugh at us. I can bare it but it is not good for HER’ Peter thought.

He doesn’t look very much friendly. He does not have a smile. He will surely scold e if I talk to him and he will surely frown at me if I smile at him. What is this strange feeling? Why do I so much want to talk to a person that I fear? Thought Revana.

‘She does not have feelings for me. That is why she never even looks at me in the class.’

‘He is a person who studies very hard. He does not have a place in his mind for a woman, especially a lonely girl like me.’

Weeks turned into months and months in to years- two long years of hard work, then came the graduation exam.


* * *

Usually after an exam there is a farewell party in every class. Peter or Revana were not kind of people who enjoyed parties but they too attended to. In professor Segmonte’s farewell party Peter took a final look at the girl who took his attention all these years. ‘What shall I do? I still can’t possibly go and talk to her- I have no guts to do so.’
Revana was silent all the time as usual. But inside, she was dwelling. Just like Peter she was also lost between love and fear. ‘Love’, she thought
‘“Love” is this love? I certainly don’t know the sensation but there are no other words to explain the feeling that I have for Peter.’

The party lasted until the mid night. Revana- really upset of the things dwelling in her head was about to leave the party hall when she was stopped by a familiar voice calling her name. She knew him. She turned around without knowing whether to smile or not, “yes?” She responded

“I er, hello Revana” Peter gasped

‘He knows my name!’ thought Revana with excitement. But she was careful enough not to show it to him.

“So, this will be the last day eh?’ asked Peter with a shaking voice.

“Yeah, the party was great isn’t it?” Revana answered.

Peter seemed to be speechless for a while but then he finally said something.

“Well good luck!”

“Thanks, you too” She smiled.

“OK then…” Peter gave a smile and backed off.

“See you” Revana turned around and went.

‘Damn, what an idiot I am’ Peter cursed himself

‘You idiot, how come you just walk away like that when he finally come and talked to you’ Revana blamed herself.

The party ended.

* * *



Fifteen years later….


Fifteen years is a very long time. A time that can make a lot of changes in one’s life. Not only a person gets older, his way of thinking his personality and his spirit is also can be changed in such a period of time.

Doctor Peter, he’s now known to the world as a healer. He succeeded his dream to become a doctor. Peter is still a silent person. The time has not changed him very much different.

Ten years after becoming a doctor his parents found him a beautiful wife. He had no feelings for her but he acted his role as a good husband. But the feelings he had for Revana stayed at the bottom of his heart all this time since the very last day he saw her at the party. Now still sometimes, he regrets for not telling her how he felt at the right time and wished-at least for a single second-to see her beautiful face once more.

Revana-on the other side-is too go married. She did her bio science degree at the University of Cambridge but was unable to find a suitable partner. She too was forcibly married to an accountant by her parents. She tried to lead a happy life; at least she acted as she was having one in front of the world. But inside her the feeling she had for Peter remained. She too prayed and started each day wishing to meet him-again.

But that never happened. Peter never met Revana again. But he knew that she is somewhere in this lonely world. ‘Did she ever had feelings for me, did she ever loved me, I will never know’

Revana also had the same question. The one person she loved will never know how much she cared about him. Her love will one day die along with her, and so will Peter’s.


* * *
© Copyright 2011 Prashan Edirisinghe (prashanse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1766091-Distant-hearts