*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1766613-Red-Den-Chapter-1-4
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by JAC
Rated: E · Other · Teen · #1766613
When Bluebarroe becomes Red Den, it gives way for a vampire story...
Chapter 1


Bluebarroe High




October 28, 2028


         For a big city sixteen year old girl, the worst punishment a parent could possibly give is to send her away to a boring old county or town or whatever you call it just to keep her from being what-parents-now-believe-as-a-totally-wild-teen WHICH I am not by the way and will never be.

         But odds are my mom is one of those too worried parent but then not too worried to send their child away to a strange place AND I am one of those unfortunate teens who had been attacked by the TRUST LESS parent scheme and now living in the middle of their doom.

GOD! (sigh..)

         I am Elena Claise Rawthorne Haleeford, still sixteen years old and now admitted at Bluebarroe Central High School which is located at Bluebarroe of course, the most peaceful place in the world with zero case of crime for almost ten years now. CREEPY, right? Well, since I am already here, I may as well investigate about this "weirdness". And besides...



Knock, knock, knock..

Startled, I immediately got up on my feet while turning my head to the door. I wasn't expecting anyone. Not at five o'clock in the morning, that is. But then again I thought maybe it was just the dormitory dean checking on the new student.

"Miss Elena Claise?"

A girl? "Oh! Y-yes? what is it?" I replied, still nailed on my spot beside the bed.

"Can I come in?"

"Huh? umm.. Y--"

Too late. The door banged open and this strange blond girl, who was already on her uniform, barged in.

"Good morning! I am Kharrye Nixon, senior, eighteen years old. I am in charge of you so I am here to guide you on your first day. Nice to meet you by the way," she said as she made her way towards me and without her smile leaving her face. She automatically thrusted a hand and I shook it out of surprise.

"Nice to meet you too, Kharrye...?" I replied, finding her name so weird to say.

Seeing her face at close hand, I could really say that she was gorgeous. Silky blond hair with sparkling blue eyes. Luscious pink lips and smooth-looking skin. And with just that smile she gives a pleasant atmosphere. Good thing she was all these or I could have yelled in no time. I always hated people without a sense of personal space.

"I see that you are still not ready for school. And you haven't even unpacked your things yet," she observed looking over to my open suitcases on the floor. "Aren't you planning to settle in now?"

"Umm.. well, it's still five o'clock in the morning and I think the school dean would lend me the entire day for me to settle in so... I was just-"

"Doing your diary," she supplied when she noticed my diary still on my bed.

"Y-yah."

She stared at the thing for quite sometime and I just took the chance to  really see what kind of a person she was. She got sparkling blue eyes but somehow, when she was looking at my diary, she kinda lost them. In spite her smile, her lonely eyes now caught my attention. How melancholic...

"That thing..." she suddenly said. And then continued after a couple of heart beats, "is frustrating."

She hastily turned her back on me before I could ask why. Maybe she's angry. But why?

"Anyway, settle in for today. I'll come back tomorrow," she said while making her way to the door. "Same time. We'll have breakfast then", she continued. "School starts at six."

"WHAT? What kind of school starts at that time?! It's too early! Gees!"

Then just before she closed the door behind her, she turned to me with the same smile earlier and said, "this kind, Elena. Bye!"

And the door shut close.

Somehow, the way she said those words sent chills on my spine. There's something about her... no. It wasn't her. It was the school.





Chapter 2


Five rules




After I finished unpacking my things, I decided to stroll the grounds and get familiar with the school a little bit. Besides, I couldn't keep my curiosity and excitement contained any longer.

After a satisfying cold bath, I fixed myself into my normal attire (tee and jeans). I decided about a light make-up and a high ponytail.

Then, I'm off.

"The school is big...huge...enormous..." What the hell-? "It gets bigger and bigger every time I turn a corner. What IS this place? This isn't normal at all mom..." I sighed and as expected I heard that familiar laugh over the phone. I miss her already and it has only been 24 hours.

"Come on Elena, what's up with that sigh? It's good that it's big right? Ain't it beautiful?"

"It's beautiful alright but it kinda feels that this school covers most of the town! It's creepy!"

"Creepy huh? That's good."

"Huh?"

"That means that there are no clubs there nor anything that destroys a child's mind. The place is interestingly uninteresting."

A cutesy snicker followed that statement. And all I could do was sigh.

Toot,toot,toot...

"Oh! my battery's dying mom. Call you soon! B--. It's dead. Well..." I slid my phone back into my pocket and continued walking on my own.

When I turned from a corner, I found the school's gymnasium. It was gigantic as well as all the buildings around. Just as I was about to open the door, a hand snatched my wrist and dragged me.

"Uh-ah.. Not now Elena. The gym's still under clean-up duty. I'll introduce it to you tomorrow night, alright?"

That voice... "Kharrye?"

She let go of my hand when we reached a corner of a building. Then she looked around for anyone else.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Isn't that my line? What are you doing strolling the grounds on your own? It's dangerous!"

"But isn't this place the most peaceful place in the world? What's the danger? And besides you all have classes so no one's gonna..."

"Oh right! Class! Should I ditch Mr. Runburn? Well... I am in charge of you so, I could skip class and take you on a tour, 'kay?"

"Skip... class? Tour?"

"Shall we go?"

I am right. This place is creepy... and all the people in it. I think it's a wrong place mom. It's not UNINTERESTING. And it might be full of surprises.



The tour lasted for three hours. That long. But my mind was just occupied by five simple rules. That much.

Kharrye introduced this "Five simple rules of bluebarroe High" to me after complimenting my wise decision of preserving myself with tees and jeans. I didn't know if that was an insult or whatever but I never minded, really. Though she was okay with my boring clothes, she was somewhat irritated of my hairdo.

"First rule," she said."Keep your neck wrist and heart covered at all times."She freed my hair and threw my favorite scrunchy away. I thought it will be awkward if I chase after it so I left it be. "My scrunchy..." I just mumbled as sign of goodbye.

"Second rule, shut up and don't butt in on somebody else's business.

"Third rule, don't trust anyone else except yourself and your partner."

"Part-?"

"Fourth rule, never do anything reckless that would somehow lead to bleeding. Blood is unacceptable."

She was not wearing any smile now. The atmosphere around me went eerie and cold. This must be serious matter so I shouldn't cross it.

"What's the last one?" I asked.

After awhile, she suddenly smiled. "I'll tell you when the time is right."

The five rules... I didn't understand them but I took them anyway. Why? They just simply got all the nerves on my body.





Chapter 3


Bite




5:50 in the evening, Kharrye took me somewhere inside one building in the school. She said it was a tradition so I really shouldn't refuse it. On the second floor, we went inside a big room that didn't look like a classroom at all. There waiting were other girls in white knee-length dress just like Kharrye. They somehow looked like Greek goddesses.

"What are we doing here?"

"TAADAA!" they all yelled in unison as they showed me a full-length white gown with red embroidery on it. It was beautiful but I didn't get it at all until Kharrye spoke.

"This is yours. You're a red star for the night and your blood prince awaits."

Or did I?

"What?"

"No more questions and just get yourself in it! Come on!" a girl with frizzy brown hair said as they all pushed me behind a standing cover that only my head can be seen. Another girl threw me the dress and all was left for me was to wear the dress. I just thought "What the heck!" and did what they asked me to.

"Are you done? Come out already!"

"Alright, alright! So?" I asked after showing them what I look like IN a dress.

After a minute or so..."Your hair's not right." "Shall we go on the make-up next?" "What shoes should we give her?" "Oh! The circlet! I'll find it!"

"Come on girls! we don't have enough time on our hands!" Kharrye reminded.

"Yes!"

"Umm... sorry to interrupt but what are we doing? Are we playing dress up or something?"

They halted on each of their tasks and looked at me. Then they just laughed. I felt hot blood on my cheeks and I just felt like an idiot. How embarrassing...

"Then what on earth are we doing?!"

"I told you Elena! It's a tradition!" Kharrye replied in half laugh.

"That is still not an ans-"

Ding, Dong, Ding!

"The big bell! Oh no! We are really running out of time."

And after that, I was left sitting on a chair with all these four girls running and hurrying themselves on getting me ready on something I didn't even know! But somehow I felt a chilling sensation after the bell had chimed. And it didn't stop until...

"We are done!"

"Wow! you are beautiful!"

"Just look at yourself!"

"Ready, Elena?" Kharrye asked and then she turned me around to face a mirror.

I didn't expect that I could make myself drop my jaw in awe. But what I was seeing now was somehow not me. It was a goddess with her black shining hair fixed with red jewel-like accessories and a red circlet on top of her head. Her hazel green eyes were lively now under long lashes with pink thin lips that could still catch any boy's eyes. I saw her reached for me and then---- I touched a mirror.

"This is me?" I muttered.

Kharrye leaned over my ear and said, "Beautiful, right?"

"Kharrye! It's already seven o'clock! We won't make it!"

"Don't worry girls. I have it all planned. Follow me Elena!"

"Oh, o-okay..."

Kharrye led me into a small passage just beside the room we were into. Then the passage became a staircase. We went down and up and right and  finally a stop.

"We are here. Just in time." Kharrye moved a drape over and signaled me to go on. I was still lost about everything so I just obeyed.

At the other side of the drape was a dim-lit grand room which looked like an amphitheater because of the rising bleachers. In front of me was a wide circular stage made of black marble and on it were several girls who also wore the same type of dress as me.

"And now, Miss Elena Claise Rawthorne Haleeford and Mr. Andrew James Hawkins!"

"What? Who's with me?"

And then I finally noticed the little boys settled beside each of the girls on the stage. Suddenly, I felt a cold hand touched my fingers and I startlingly looked down. A little boy was also beside me, holding my hand. Then he looked up at me and I saw pitch black eyes that shouldn't be on a child's face. He then led me forward to accompany the others on the center of the room, the stage. Standing now on it, I saw a lot of people. Students are on the bleachers. Teachers and other adults are seated around the stage under the bleachers.

"Let us begin."

Everyone around me moved. The girls and the little boys faced each other.However, the girls looked like they don't know a thing about what was going on either. Then I felt a pair of eyes on me so I faced him as well. He was so little... just above my waist yet his eyes were of someone who lived years before me. He reached for my hand and drew it closer to his mouth. For a moment I though he was going to kiss my hand just like a gentleman would do (creepy for a kid though) but inches away from his lips he turned my wrist upside down and then he bit me.

Then I felt the pain. It was excruciating. It wasn't a normal bite and I felt every muscles on my being contract. As I tried to free my hand of him he got hold of my other hand and pinned me on the floor. He was so strong and I couldn't take the pain anymore. Just when I was going to scream for myself I heard everyone else's. Their voices were piercing my ears and the pain on my wrist was drawing my strength out of me. And as my consciousness flowed out of my head, I looked up at him and just saw this bright red eyes looking at me in a such a way.

What emotion was it? Oh... yes. I remember now. Sorry.





Chapter 4


Red Den




October 29, 2028


         Last night, I dreamt a very weird dream. Or was it a nightmare? It doesn't matter. But it felt like real... the pain and all that. And I also doesn't remember anything after I went back from the tour.

         Somehow, I felt light-headed like I donated my blood or something. I feel dizzy and still sleepy. It might be the effect of a new strange place. Well... anyway, It's my real first day now and I should get going to my very early appointment.

Gosh! 6:00 just for a class? Doesn't feel fair at all.

         I feel sorry for myself. Sorry... huh!?



Funny but- when I opened the window, I saw the sun way up high. Already? That's too soon.It was supposed to be dawn, right? Well, might be the reason why classes start at six.

"Oh shoot! I'm late!"

After pulling my bag out from under my bed sheets, a familiar face emerged in front of me.

"Ah!" I screamed as I was thrown back butt first on the floor. "Ouch!"

"Gees, Elena. How clumsy. Here." I let her pull me back on my feet. Then she was gone. I looked around and saw her lying on her stomach on my bed, reading my diary.

"Hey! That's my dia- Why aren't you on your uniform?" I noticed.

"Mmmm?" she just mumbled.

"And you're also late! You told me yesterday that you are going to fetch me at 5:00 and it's now six! Aren't you in charge of me or something?" When she didn't left my diary alone, I added, "HEY! Stop reading other people stuff! Com' on-"

"Say... this dream of yours..."

"Huh? What about it?"

"Well-"

The school bell rang.

"Oh no! Kharrye! Hurry up and take me to my class!" I reached for her and for some reason she reached back. I was taken aback by this because she sat up just to check my wrist so seriously.

"It hasn't completely healed yet."

"Healed?" I snatched my hand back and confirmed it myself. I had two small holes on my wrist which were covered in blood. Sure enough they weren't completely healed yet. But how did I wound myself? Moreover, I didn't notice it at all until now? Maybe because it doesn't hurt now?  and what kind of wound would th--- bite marks... from... I absentmindedly turned to Kharrye for some clarifications.

Her smile was different now. And it was bothering me.

"Don't worry. Your free to ditch class for today. It's a little reward for being so lucky last night. Your one of the 8 who survived you know. So, just rest."

She stood up and forced me to sit. I was out of the world. I didn't quite understand what she said and I couldn't put my confusion into words. Kharrye knelt in front of me so I was looking down to her.

"Last night, do you remember? That dream you are referring to... THAT happened Elena, last night. I know it's kind of a shock to say this now to you but Bluebarroe isn't what you thought it is. This is a complicated world Elena and down here... we call it Red Den. Bluebarroe is the safest place in the world and Red Den is its complete opposite."

"Wh....Ho... You...last... I... don't understand..."

"Vampires exist here. Red Den came up with the image of Bluebarroe to attract humans. More humans, more food. But because our kind figured that they need us, humans constructed a law that would seem safer for us. The vampires agreed but with that they made a game, a game of survival. A human is bonded to a vampire by blood. What happened last night was a tradition of this school. That was a test of your capability on supporting your vampire partner. And that little boy... he's your partner now. Do you underst-"

"I don't."

Silence. Kharrye refrained from explaining further because she knew that it was already too much for me. She got up and found a seat. She looked outside the window and waited for me to recollect my thoughts.

I remained bowed down, staring at my wrists. Vampires? What bullshit.... But- why do I feel that it's all real? that entire thing she said... they happened... and I'm now here.

However they were still hard to accept as reality.

Don't these things happen just in movies or books? There is no way vampires are real... right?

I raised my head and found Kharrye's eyes. I threw myself on the bed and said, "Continue."

"Since you survived last night's test and you have your partner now, It is time for both of you to join the game. Every night, a fight is held where 2 pairs of partners are locked in a concealed glass room to fight. Vampires fight each other to try and kill the other. Once the opponent is killed, it is up to your vampire whether to kill the other human or let her be one of his partners. That is all. But aside from that, you also need to remember the five rules I told you. They are important."

"Let me get this right. My vampire holds my survival and I hold his. Then what happens if we win?"

"The game continues and you fight some more."

"When am I free? How many games should we win?"

"You are only free if your vampire dies and the opponent refuses to kill you. At that time, the curse on you will be lifted and you are free to live your normal life back outside Red Den but not outside Bluebarroe. You will be one of those humans entrusted of the vampires' secrecy. If you fail to do so, you will die instantly in the middle of hungry immortals."

I gasped at image my mind gave me. Then someone came to my mind.

"My mom..." I said as I sat up again.

"That's right. You cannot contact her anymore, Elena."

"No...no! She'll be devastated! And then she'll go here. She will... I can't... That's unfair! I refuse to believe you! I-" I hastily went for my phone. But my bag was empty and I couldn't find it anywhere else. I didn't know what to do anywhere.

"Sorry Elena but we already got rid of everything that would give you any contact to the outside. And forgive me to say this, the vampire society gives no chance at all to the revelation of their kind so as of now, they are already after your mom."

Without another thought, my tears immediately came out from their cellar and I just stood there... completely blank and confused, staring at no where.

"I'll leave you for now," Kharrye excused herself and I just heard the door closed.
© Copyright 2011 JAC (xaimy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1766613-Red-Den-Chapter-1-4