*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1767039-The-jump
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Smokey
Rated: E · Other · Fantasy · #1767039
A story about a leap of faith.
He had never doubted much in his life but this was a serious matter.
Sweat dripped over his forehead as he looked in to the pit.
It was a leap of faith they told him, a test of manhood.
The hair in his neck was becoming static as he leaned more forward trough wards the pit.
Darkness.
That was all he saw complete darkness.
Damn it, he thought, there must be another way to prove i am a man!
Why couldn't i just catch a lion or something and escort it to the village alive, that would be a great test to prove your manhood.
Or to climb a mountain within a day or something like that.
But no his test of manhood was to jump in a dark pit and then climb out of it.
Who thought of that anyway! His ancestors must have been really stupid to think of such a test!
He started mumbling the prayer his father thought him with the hope that he would regain his faith.
"Blessed is the sun, blessed is the father who has a name, blessed is me who has no name, my name i will gain by test, the test i will take, the test will purify me and will guide me to manhood."
It did not help him regain its faith, he thought the prayer was rubbish.
The nameless boy took a deep breath and closed his eyes.
Let's get this over with, he thought and jumped.
Nothing.
Wind whooshed through his hair.
Still nothing.
And all out of the sudden.
Water.
The pit which he feared so much lead to an underground lake.
The now nameless man decided when he surfaced the water that his name from now on should be "Se li ki alèz" (he who is sceptical.)
© Copyright 2011 Smokey (smokey1990 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1767039-The-jump