*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1767264-Jane-Austens-Life-and-Why-I-Love-Her
Rated: E · Essay · Fanfiction · #1767264
I am writing about Jane Austen's life. I am her biggest fan and I love her.
** Image ID #1767030 Unavailable **

My friend Jennifer is an author at Writing.com She and I watched the movie Lost In Austen and she introduced me to Jane Austen's novels. This is how I fell in love with Jane Austen and her books. I have all Jane's novels and the BBC Jane Austen movies. I just love Jane and I have written several stories referring to Jane and her Pride and Prejudice characters. I became a Janeite over night. I researched Jane's life and this is what I came up with.

Jane Austen {16 December 1775-18 July 1817}. She was an English novelist who wrote novels of romantic fiction and she is one of the most widely read and beloved authors of the 18th and 19th centuries.

She was close with her family and was educated by her father and brothers. She wrote three major novels: Sense and Sensibilty, Pride and Prejudice and Emma. I love Pride and Prejudice and Emma best. These are her claim to her success. She was working on a novel Sandation but she died before completing it.

Her novels contained some humor and highlight the dependency of women and marriage.

Jane's parents were: George Austen and his wife Cassandra. George's family were in the wool industry and Cassandra was a member of the prominent Leigh family. George was a rector of the Anglican parishes at Steventon, Hampshire. He farmed and taught three boys who stayed at his home.

Jane had six brothers: James, George, Edward, Henry Thomas, Francis William, Charles John and and her sister Cassandra. Jane was close to Cassandra and Henry. Henry was Jane's literary agent. Her brother George was considered mentally abnormal. Charles and Frank served in the Navy. Edward was adopted by his cousin Thomas Knight and inherited the Thomas Knight Estates.

Jane was born at Steventon Rectory in December of 1775. Jane was raised by a woman Elizabeth Littlewood until she was eighteen months. Jane and Cassandra left for boarding school in 1785. They both caught typhus and Jane almost died. The girls were only at Boarding School a year.

Jane started out by writing poems. She also wrote an earlier book Lady Susan which was about a sexual predator which is more like a play but wasn't acceptable for that time period.

Jane had a suitor Tom Lefroy but his family decided that marriage was impractical and Tom was sent away to live with his great uncle in Ireland. Jane didn't have a high enough dowry or name and wasn't acceptable to be married to Tom Lefroy.

Jane went on to write Northhanger Abbey. Jane's father announced that they were moving to Bath as he was quitting the rectory. Jane didn't want to move but she never argued with her father.

Harris Bigg-Wither asked Jane to marry him. He was plain, stuttered and had no tact and Jane didn't love him. He had money but she didn't want to enter a loveless marriage so Jane said "No" To his proposal.

Jane's father died and with her brothers living on their own, Jane, her mother and sister Cassandra lived with her brother Edward in the back apartments of Knight Estate at Chawton. This is where Jane had four novels published: Pride and Prejudice, First Impressions, Emma and Sense and Sensibility. Mansfield Park, Northanger Abbey and Lady Susan were published later. These copies sold in six months time. This was done by her brother Henry and Thomas Egerton, a publisher.

Jane became sick in 1816 and died of Addison's Disease and Hodgkin's lymphoma. She was buried in the north aisle of the nave of Winchester Cathederal.

Jane's novels were published anonymously. Her novels taught moral lessons. Jane Austen didn't become famous until the nineteenth century. Jane Austen is more famous in our time then she was in hers. Jane. Someone I love and admire and I would to write like her. She and her novels will always live in our hearts. Thanks for reading.

I researched Jane's life on Google.

** Image ID #1767035 Unavailable **
** Image ID #1718832 Unavailable **
** Image ID #1650000 Unavailable **

© Copyright 2011 Princess Megan Rose (tigger at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1767264-Jane-Austens-Life-and-Why-I-Love-Her