*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1767710-The-Kinley-Brothers
by Sirius
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #1767710
A story in reverse chronological order about a serial killer...........
The Kinley Brothers


He woke up all exhausted, soaking in blood. He had been in a fight, a fight that led to the death of his opponent. But he was not perturbed by it, he was relieved. He could see the body lying in front of him all mutilated with a knife pierced in it and beaten up paying the price of speaking more than one should, revealing more in front of a wrong person. He looked around him, the bathroom was still stinking, a ring was lying on the ground, he grabbed it and put it in his pocket.A watch lay beside him, broken, showing time as 7:45 pm. Somebody was throbbing on the door, they must have called the cops, he could hear the siren, but it didn’t matter, not anymore, he had done what needed to done.


Marcus stopped the car in front of the gas station. “Why don’t you go to the bathroom, be little fresh, I have to buy some magazines”
“I don’t know, I am ok” replied Gabriel.
“Well, I might take time you see, go, take a break, you look…..scared” and Marcus sneered.
"It's 7 almost, i think we should better be going"
"I would love to but i just need something, hope you understand since you still need a ride, don't you"
Gabriel, half-heartedly, got out of the car, and marched towards the bathroom. He saw Marcus left the car taking out the keys, still smiling at him. As Gabriel closed the door behind him, of the bathroom, Marcus retreated his steps. He looked at the door of the bathroom, his face curled up in a smile, he checked to see his gun and whether it’s loaded or not. He had a suspicion that Gabriel would try to run away, he was scared, Marcus could easily see in his eyes as he stepped out of the car. Marcus looked around him, no one was in sight except the man in the shop busy with his headphones on, he won’t notice anything, he thought. He had done this before, to kill them when they are frightened give him the utmost pleasure. He slowly proceeded towards the door of the bathroom, Gabriel must have locked it from inside, well he had to come out sooner or later. But soon he noticed as he put his hand on the handle that the door was not locked, he again smiled, it had made his work easier. He slowly opened the door.


“Oh we are short on gas; I hope there is a gas station soon somewhere” said Marcus, “Why are you not speaking anything, let me play the radio”
“It's 6:30 pm, time for the latest news. The killing frenzy continued as the surviving Brother of the duo “The Kinley Brothers” who together murdered 11 victims, still roam the area and searching……” the radio announced. Marcus changed the channel hesitantly, “Well we should not be afraid of anything, should we? Well you didn’t tell me how the lunch was”
“It was good, quite well” Gabriel replied.
“I appreciate it that you liked it, I always go to that place whenever I am in this area”
Gabriel looked at Marcus and moved uneasily in his seat. “Oh, you are sweating, no need to worry, soon you’ll be home, home sweet home” said Marcus.


“You are not feeling uneasy are you, because of the story I told you” Marcus said as though expecting praise. They were sitting in a hotel, Marco’s Room.
“No, I think you were very brave to have faced that serial killer, but why didn’t you tell the cops it was you” said Gabriel.
“Oh, I didn’t want any trouble, cops are bad influence and that incident had already left me in a bad condition”
“But aren’t you afraid that the second brother would come after you, I mean…….”
“Well I am not, I take caution, I have gun, you see” Marcus defended him
“But you are going around telling everybody the story, shouldn’t you keep it to yourself, I mean its something you don’t want other people to know or it will spread most probably to the Kinley brother”
“Telling everybody, oh Gabriel, you are like 4th or 5th person I told, I don’t go around telling every stranger”
“I am a stranger” Gabriel replied ironically.
“Well of course you are, but you don’t seem like a man who could kill somebody let alone be a serial killer, they are different, I have seen his eyes, it was evil, pure evil” Marcus said "But let's forget it, we've to get something in our stomach, since we have long journey in front of us"
"No, i am not hungry, i had already eaten, i mean it's 5 pm, it's not........." before he could finish his sentence Marcus cut him "For eating, come on my friend no time is right or wrong for eating, and you have to eat, who knows which one is our last meal"


“Where are you going?” asked Marcus, he was in his car in front of Bason Motel. A man in his twenties was holding a bag, standing, waiting for a ride. He looked at his watch, it was 3 pm, it was about time he got a ride, he can't wait more.
“Just to nearest town” said Gabriel happily
“Well sure, hop on”
As they were driving, Marcus said “Well I didn’t ask your name?”
“Gabriel, it’s really great of you to give me the ride, I mean people don’t trust each other nowadays”
“Well why would they, these murderers roaming around taking rides and then they kill for money, for fun. I’ll tell you, I also don’t take strangers like this”
“Then why did you take me? I mean I could be a killer”
“No, no, no, I know those people, I have met one”
“You’ve met one, what, a killer” Gabriel said, he was shocked
“Yeah, my friend, it was the Kinley brother, you know they are on the news, I gave him the lift one sunny afternoon, I think it was three weeks ago. Oh, he had a look I can’t forget. The moment he sat in my car I knew something was wrong with him. He was talking and talking, but you see I had a gun so I wasn’t scared” Marcus showed Gabriel his gun tucked in his belly “He started about my gun, he knew lots about them. Then he told me about a place to eat, said he always go to that place whenever he is in the area, Marco’s Room. Well the lunch was good, but I was scared. I thought of running but he kept following me. Then he said he wanted to buy some magazines so stop at a gas station. I thought maybe this time I could escape but you see he was evil, as soon as I stopped the car in front of gas station, he kept on talking, when he took my keys I didn’t know. It was all suspicious, He went into the store, I thought not to run but to fight and get rid of this scum. I went into the store, oh my darkest dreams came true, the attendant was dead, he was stabbed, and he attacked me from behind. But I was ready; I shot him, three times. That scum, I left him there, cops found him later. Relieved they were”
“That must be really terrifying experience for you”
“It was dear Gabriel, it was”
“Did they ever find out who did it?”
“No, would they, they are not even trying, I mean they are all thinking that it must be some angel that got rid of him, I didn’t commit any crime, I am the savior, you see”
“Yeah sure you are”



Gabriel was sitting in the motel room, the Bason Motel. He was furious, tightening his grip on his knife. He opened his bag and carefully put the knife inside it. He looked at his ring which he used to wear in his middle finger; the same ring was also wore by his brother. But that ring was missing, whoever killed my brother must have taken the ring, how pathetic. The TV was on, on which a women was reading the 1 pm news:
“After one of the Kinley was shot three times at the gas station three weeks ago, no sign of his brother was found. But his brother is still at large, killing people the same way the brothers used too”
Gabriel’s fist closed “I need to find this man, who is killing in my name while I am hiding, he killed my brother and impersonating me while cops are finding me, not him. I will avenge you, brother, I will”. He took his bag, walked out of the hotel to take a ride.
© Copyright 2011 Sirius (nameless234 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1767710-The-Kinley-Brothers