*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1772931-Too-Late-Confessions
Rated: E · Short Story · LGBTQ+ · #1772931
Some people confess when it's too late
t was Keenan’s wedding to Mariah. They’d been dating for 5 years. Keenan’s best friend, Jack, stood for the wedding toast. Those who knew him could tell he’d already drunk too much, but they ignored it. Who doesn’t get a little sloshed at a wedding?
“Hey everyone. Well, it’s the big day. Congrats the Keenan and Mariah.”
He smirked and lifted a glass. Mariah smiled, but Keenan frowned. He didn’t like the mocking tone in Jack’s voice.
“Damn, it’s been a while. Bout time you proposed Kee. Poor girl’s been waiting.”
He staggered back, regaining his balance by clutching the podium.
“Y’know, I never thought I’d be able to say this, but I’m piss drunk, so here goes. You, Keenan Lenerstin, broke my heart.”
He pointed a finger at Keenan, who blinked. Jack laughed, too loud.
“You didn’t know? I, Jack Freyik, have been in love with you for 10 years. Ever since 7th grade. And you never noticed, did you? Never saw how I was there when you needed me, never realized how much I looked at you. Always one step behind, eh?”
The room was silent now, everyone staring at the man gripping the mike.
“I guess Mariah is prettier than me, huh? Even if she wasn’t there when your mom left or when you were cutting yourself. I guess I don’t matter, right KeeKee?”
Jack fell to his knees.
“I never mattered! You never fucking noticed me!”
He began sobbing, the deep gut wrenching kind. As people rushed to lead Jack out, Keenan sat frozen. He didn’t feel his wife stroking his arm, didn’t see the chaos around him. He only saw his best friend, the boy he’d loved for years. As Mariah pulled him closer he looked into her eyes and felt nothing, just as he always had. She wasn’t Jack. But as he caught a glimpse at the nervous look on her delicate face, he knew he couldn’t break her now. Jack loved him. And it was too late. Keenan left, pulling Mariah behind him. The room was empty again, decorations falling off the walls.


© Copyright 2011 thouart (thouart at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1772931-Too-Late-Confessions