*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1776462-Keeping-Hope-Alive
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Dark · #1776462
Bree is perfect. Right? Here's a peek below the surface...
Chapter One

I glared silently at my best friend, Morgan. She was holding up an outfit I hadn't worn in six months, and gazing pleadingly at me with her irresistible brown eyes. The skinny jeans with one black leg and one white leg, white tank top, black bustier and red heels waved in my face. Morgan wanted to go to a party tonight, in an attempt to 'break me out of my funk.' I had refused time and time again over the past few weeks, but tonight... Tonight Morgan had her long chestnut hair swept up to frame her face, which didn't need makeup to look good. She was wearing a form-fitting purple dress that showed off her legs in their nude stilettos, and it was distracting.
"Bree, please please please come to the party tonight? There won't be any alcohol, and I'll drive, and you can stay with me the whole time, I swear," promised Morgan. I swept my chin-length blond hair out of my eyes and sighed.
"Morgan, I really don't want to go. Tonight's just-" I began.
"Not a good night. I know. You say that every weekend! You need to get out of the house, Bree! Maybe meet some girls," she winked flirtatiously. I cocked my eyebrows and crossed my arms. "Come on, Bree-Bree, all you have to do is bat those baby blues and you'll have everything that walks falling all over you!" She wheedled stubbornly.
I took a long look at the clothes in her hands and sighed again. "Fine. I'll come. But I am NOT picking up girls." I grumbled. Morgan smiled and tossed the outfit at me, then flounced out of the room to go start the car. I changed quickly and ran some gel through my hair in an attempt to make it look styled. Two swipes of black eyeliner, a quick application of lip gloss, and I was ready to leave. I sat beside Morgan in the car and half-listened to her incessant chatter about how this was going to be awesome for me.
We pulled up, and stepped out of the car. Within seconds we were offered beers, which I declined and Morgan accepted. I glowered accusingly at her and she giggled and wandered off to go find her boyfriend Travis. I groaned and went inside to sit on the steps and wait until midnight, when Morgan would stumble drunkenly by and I would grab her and drag her home. We never really came to these parties to hang out; this was our time apart. The music pumped and people were laughing, dancing, talking, and occasionally pointing me out, shocked to see me after six months of isolation.
I felt someone's eyes on me, and looked across the room. My eyes met his green eyes, obscured partially by his sandy hair. I stared at his tight red shirt and jeans, which clung to his muscles from football. When I looked back at his face, he smiled. And I went back to the night six months ago, when I had last seen that smile...

"Morgan? Come on, it's time to go home!" I called, peeking inside the bedrooms upstairs. Everyone I had asked said they had last seen Morgan coming up here looking for me. One bedroom's door was closed, and I knocked politely. "Morgan? Are you in there?" I asked through the door. When nobody answered, I slowly opened the door and peered in. I didn't hear anything, but I thought I saw someone. I stepped inside and flicked on the light. The door closed behind me, and when I turned around I was met with grass-green eyes and a mischievous smile.
I smiled back. "Hey, Alex, do you know where Morgan is?" I asked. Alex shrugged and shook his head. "Sorry, Bree, I've been here for half an hour." I tilted my head and asked, "Why? Taking a nap?" Alex laughed and shook his head again. "Nah, actually..." he stopped and walked toward the bed. I crossed my arms and shifted my weight to my right leg. "Actually, what? Were you with a girl?" I pressed impatiently. I really had to find Morgan and get home before twelve-thirty.
Alex beckoned me to sit beside him, and I sighed and plopped down. Even though we had only been friends for three years, we were closer than even Morgan and I. Alex hesitantly reached over and grabbed my hand. I squeezed it back, assuming what he had to say was important. I smiled and waited for a moment. Alex pulled me closer, and I tensed slightly. He knew how much I hated when people invaded my personal space.
"Actually, I was waiting for you," admitted Alex. Before I could ask what he meant, Alex pressed a hand over my mouth and leaned even closer. I squirmed uncomfortably, suddenly nervous. Very few people could touch me without triggering a panic attack; Alex was one of these people, but right now he was just too close and personal. "Briana..." he took a breath. I jumped at the use of my full name. Nobody but my family called me Brianna.
"Brianna, I'm in love with you!" blurted Alex finally. I stopped squirming and stared openly. Then, behind his hand, I giggled. Alex pulled his hand away, hurt flashing in his eyes. I stopped giggling when I realized he was serious. Then I shook my head and grabbed his hands. I sighed and pulled away.
"Honey, you know why this won't work..." I trailed off as Alex wrapped his arms around my waist. Panic flashed through my body and I froze, staring. 'Why not? We've been best friends since we were thirteen, we're so perfect for each other! God, Bree, I've been in love with you since the first day you hung out with me! Give me a chance," he stroked my face, "I'll never hurt you-"
I'd heard enough. I tried to pull away, but Alex tightened his grip. "Alex, I'm a lesbian! You know that, you were there with me when I came out two years ago! You've met my girlfriends! I've never even had a boyfriend," I protested feebly. Alex was starting to scare me. "Exactly, I'd be your first. I'd be so perfect, and I swear I would always be there for you. I've waited three years to tell you how in love I am with you!" He grabbed my wrists and kissed me.
I yanked away and yelled, "Alex! What the hell! What are you-" He pressed one hand over my mouth and held both my wrists with one hand. 'Shh, sweetie, don't be so loud," he whispered calmly. I bit his hand, and he swore angrily. Alex's hand tightened around my wrist and I gasped in pain. "Alex, you're hurting me! Stop!" I screamed, suddenly very, very afraid. He wasn't acting like himself, and he was close enough to start a panic attack. Alex put his hand over my mouth again and pinned me to the bed underneath him. I started crying and hyperventilated, growing dizzy. Alex kissed my forehead and murmured, "It's alright, I promise I won't hurt you..." I blacked out.

Those green eyes seemed to be seeing the same things I was seeing, because Alex's smile grew wider. I stood up from my step and scanned the crowd frantically for Morgan. When I didn't see her, I started down the steps, but Alex suddenly blocked the way. I shook uncontrollably and backed up. I bumped into someone, who held my elbow to steady me. I yanked away and raced down the stairs, dodging past Alex and sprinting outside and across the street into the park. I kicked off my heels and kept running.
After about a hundred meters, I heard someone chasing after me. I stumbled in fear, then ran twice as fast. He was following me! He was going to catch me, pin me down, and- suddenly, I felt someone slam me to the ground and land on top of me. I screamed at the top of my lungs and rolled over to claw his eyes out, this time I swore I would! I felt a hand cover my mouth, and a voice yell, "Hey, calm down! I'm not going to hurt you!"
"I promise I won't hurt you..."
I struggled harder and lashed out with my nails, catching the person in the cheek. "Ow! What the hell?" demanded a voice too high to be Alex's. I froze and stared. Laying on top of me was a very small girl, no taller than five foot four. She couldn't have weighed more than a hundred pounds! Her auburn hair was just the right mix of curls and waves, framing her pixie-like face and huge green eyes. Her skin was the exact color of cream, except for two long scratches on her left cheek.
'I-I'm sorry," I stuttered. Then I burst into tears. The girl crawled off of me and stood, bouncing on the heels of her purple sneakers and looking uncomfortable. 'Hey, don't worry... I'm okay..." she trailed off as I fought to control my roiling emotions. I had been so scared, so sure it was Alex who had come after me. I pulled my knees up to my chest and hugged them as slowly the sobs subsided into hiccups, then silent tears. I looked up at the girl. Her black t-shirt was slashed all across the front, and layered over a neon green shirt. Both shirts, and her low-rise jeans, were snug and hugged her subtle curves.
"Are you okay?" asked the girl. I looked away and nodded. She plopped down next to me and extended her hand, timidly saying, "My name's Tessa. What's yours?" I took a deep breath and shook her hand. "Brianna. Bree, for short," I replied. Tessa smiled, and I admit I stared for a minute. She had the prettiest smile. Morgan had been my friend for ten years, and while we both knew I found her attractive, Tessa seemed to glow from the inside out.
"Bree. That's a nice name. What happened back there, Bree?" asked Tessa, seemingly truly concerned. I looked away again and mumbled, "That guy I was avoiding..." i couldn't bring myself to say it. After a moment of silence, I looked back at Tessa. She seemed confused and a bit disappointed. "Is he... an ex of yours?" She asked. I laughed once, hard and short. "No. I don't even date boys. I'm a lesbian," i explained, peering at her to gauge her reaction.
I was rewarded with another dazzling smile. "That's what I was told. Same here," she admitted happily. I smiled back.

© Copyright 2011 Angela Chastity (saraangelify at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1776462-Keeping-Hope-Alive