*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1777702-A-day-at-the-museum
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1777702
This is like a night at the museum... only worse.
'Yeah, they are an hour,' he stated.
'How are the planetarium shows here? Are they good?': words spoken after a slight pause...
'It depends on what show you see,' he took in a breath. ' The shows we have on right now are good ones,' he pointed at the white board displaying the shows in front of them: three shows advertised in a top-to-down fashion. 'They are kiddie shows, though, the first two, so you gotta be careful about that. But the two top ones are good-- for being what they are. They both inspire a pursuit of the scientific spirit in the young one; and not some prejudiced, old fashioned "science is the the only way, so if you don't agree, you don't exist" view-- but one that has exploration and discovery embedded into it, while still having the required "science changes over time due to the hopeful, reduction of general ignorance, and, therefore improvement, so don't judge too harshly upon our skepticism and "floaty" attitudes; and, two-fold, adds the safeguard where keeping ideas in a rock solid foundation for too long is a bad thing" view'.
After another slight pause, longer this time, the response was one to be expected: 'Okay.'
'The last show, the bottom one-- the one that is not considered a kid's show, is about the search for water in the solar system.' He added after the previous monosyllabic response. 'You know though, it still is not all it could be... We could have a much more intellectual show in this place if we tried. They only go over some planets, and mostly moons, in our solar system alone. We know so much more, and could explain even more!'
There was another pause, although, shorter this time.
'Okay' the asker responded. 'So we can know more than we do? Am I this public you are referring to in your speech there?' the asker asked.
'Yes and no: do you know more about space and the universe science tells us we live in? If you do, which I think you do, then the answer is no, but my comment and criticism still stands; for if you don't, then our group here that puts on these shows can create one in which they educate the public more thoroughly then what we are used to and not just the popular slice, in which most of these shows are attuned to.' A longer breath was to be taken in, and the barrage continued: 'It shows a problem, I say, with how people are educated, what they remember from that education, and what people want to learn and want to retain regardless of their education: in other words what opinions people have about the whole idea of 'learning something slightly difficult' in life after school or during.'
There was another pause... Then:
'Okay, I see what you mean. I think. So you're saying that people in general don't have a great view upon learning? Is that it? And that, say, if I didn't know what the sun was or did (besides making light, and heat for us-- if I didn't know how it did that, or what else it did) and taking into consideration my previous, or current, education based upon the contemporary education practices, I would be initially and, almost, prejudicedly be turned away from learning something new? And that is the reason, or could be, why there are no shows that go beyond a grade 9, we could say, level in content? And that is the problem that you have with society then? The one you were saying?' The asker shot back, unexpectedly.
'Heh, yes, you are right there. I would say then why is that so? Why do people have this view of education being hard/difficult therefore bad. That is what I am seeing in people that come to these shows, and in general outside of work. What are they learning in school that makes them this way? That would have to be the reason no? Or is everyone born to hate learning new things? New, possibly, hard things?' He spoke in return.
'I don't know about that. It has been a bit since I've been in school: but I do remember not liking to go to class so much.'
'Yeah, me too'
'But! I do remember-- do you remember the whole 'cool' attitude or way you were supposed to be in school? There existed this pressure for you to conform into a certain type of thinker: do you remember that? Or see that now?'
'Umm... I don't know. I myself was in many sports during school, so what people did and thought, the pressures that were seemingly upon most students, weren't upon me because, for some reason I was either shielded or immune to them. But I do remember noticing that pressure there. The was in TV a lot, and kids just seemed to speak it and act it and ooze the idea that you are to be like us. It was weird.' The asker replied at length, slightly shaken up. 'I've never thought about school this way before, it is weird.'
'Yeah. But that ideal of a person that was pushed upon us, subtly, I'm guessing, and probably blatantly too (we just didn't notice, or care)-- You know what, I think that is it. I think we just didn't care back then, and we went with the easiest way of thought that was out there. The one that also gave the most fun to us too.'

TO BE CONTINUED!!!!!!
© Copyright 2011 Josh Jones-Horrock (demurzga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1777702-A-day-at-the-museum