*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1778898-The-Bridge-VII
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Dark · #1778898
What's it like to not be able to see?
Colours.

Bright, vivid and alive. The fall brought along with it, the smells and sights of a warm evening and fiery foliage. The warmth, wind and smells, a culmination of all these things put the city in a festive mood. For a few, the woods were fun, joyous and magical even. Yet for some, they brought up feelings of resentment.

The miser was disgruntled at the happiness in the air. He was at home with discord, and felt no remorse in letting anyone and everyone know that he was in a bad mood. He was however by nature, a nature lover. This led him to the park. The epicenter of all the agrarian vivacity.

He walked hurriedly with his hands in his pockets, ignoring the world while immersed in his thoughts. Unaware of his surroundings, he encountered the bridge and began to tread across without a second thought. The minute he came to the middle, he heard a voice, "Excuse me."

         He turned.

It came from a quiet looking young girl, however her voice carried a certain tone to it, that shook him to his core. A sort of...finality.

"Have a happy-"

"Quiet!" he barked. "What's so happy? People think life's all fun and games if the weathers a bit cheery, and theres no rain for a day or two! Its kids like you that don't take life seriously enough and will ruin the world! Now scram!"

After his outburst, he turned around to leave, only to be stiff-armed by the girl who was now standing directly in front of him.

"You're bitter." She sounded hollow, like the echo of a voice that was once there, only now it faded like the breeze. "If the colours bother you, just ignore them."

Bewildered, he tried to make sense of "What? What are-" she saying.
He tried to grab her, but then froze, as his hand slowly began to dissapear from his vision.

"What the hell is go-" a quick blow to the gut stopped anything he was about to say, in its tracks. As he gasped for breath, the edges of his vision began to fade into the darkness and he tried to scream...and heard nothing.

Nothing existed. No light, no sound, no feeling and all he could perceive was the darkness. The emptiness, like her voice made him shiver. Well, what was supposed to be one. He was now outside the realm of all the festivities and hustle and bustle.

         In this solitude, he found solace.


                                                 The next day was the first day of winter.
© Copyright 2011 -Memento Mori- (makegana at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1778898-The-Bridge-VII