*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1783659-Sanctuary-chapter-II--Broken-Defense
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Other · #1783659
You are broken. Where to go, where to go?
Renata's POV


After what happened to Chris, I'm more determined to catch the killer.

Chief said that I should be watched, and said that he'd send cops to watch my apartment.

I don't need that. No.

I'll stay here in the precinct where I can get as much information as I want.

Yes. I don't my apartment. I don't need anyone. I don't need a new partner. I don't need a pet and I don't need money anymore.


Nothing would stop me. Not even myself and my limits.


___


Renata sat behind her desk, doing paperwork on a case she closed a few moments back. She finally signed it and closed the file.


She stood up and looked around. There was something missing.

It was Seth.


How could Seth send her that note? It's just isn't possible.
He's dead! For three long years.

Someone tapped Renata's shoulders. She looked back and found out that it was the chief.

"Yes sir?"
"I want you to come with me, Ren. There's an... Important matter"


Renata followed the chief from behind, as she usually did on her trainee years.

The chief had nice build, and messy blonde hair. He looked like he's in his twenties, while the fact is he's a good 46 years old. He was like a brother for Renata.

Renata entered the chief's office after him. There was another man inside the room.

That man was looking at Renata in a way she could never explain. He was smiling but something about him made Renata feel insecure.

He had ruffled black hair, semi-tanned skin, hazel coloured eyes. He was wearing a green shirt and jeans, and carrying a black jacket. Near his elbow there's a scar that seemed very similar to the wounds Renata made last night.

He held out his hand to Renata.

"I'm Bastien Ardrofill. Call me Bastien," he said with a sweet smile. Renata didn't want to trust him but there was something... something about him.

Renata shook his hand, and forced out a smile.

"I'm Renata Redfield. Renata or Ren for short. Chief?"

The chief jerked a bit.

"Ah yes. Ren, Bastien will be your new partner in solving your case. Is that clear?"

"I don't need a new partner Sir and I'm not trying to be rude. Just stating the fact. I'm good alone"

Bastien chuckled.

"This is an order Ren. Now let me ask you again, is that clear?"

Renata snorted. "Crystal"


The chief clapped once and smiled contently.


"Off you go now," said the chief, waving his hand. Both Bastien and Renata left the room.


Renata went back to her desk, followed by Bastien.

"So Ren. How's life without your husband?" asked Bastien

"What do you do for a living Bastien?"

Bastien sat down on Renata's chair, leaving Renata to stand.

"I save people. People like YOU"

"What do you mean by that? I don't need saving"

Bastien laughed and stood up. He pulled Renata and kissed her forehead, then hugged her. She was trying to break free but Bastien's arms were too strong for her, she thought. Reality was she was secretly melting inside his arms, melting because of his scent and body warmth. Her legs went numb, and her arms were useless.

"Of course you do. I'm here especially for you. I'm always here"

Renata gathered her strength and pushed Bastien away. She was blushing,

What is this man thinking? And why did my body react to him?

Suddenly Bastien pulled Renata's wounded arm and took a deep breath. Her wounds were bleeding again.

"This wound... what happened?"

"Self -inflicted" Renata covered her mouth with her hand.

How can I say that to this stranger? Gosh what's happening?

"Why did you do this?" Bastien looked at Renata seriously, his eyes seemed as if they were piercing her soul.

"I... am hurt. I was tired" Renata covered her mouth again

Shut up dammit!!



Bastien smirked.


"Seems like your defenses are finally broken"
© Copyright 2011 Caravelle (caravelle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1783659-Sanctuary-chapter-II--Broken-Defense