*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1784538-Blast
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1784538
Flash fiction
I didn’t notice the mosquitoes at first.  My ears were still ringing from the explosion.  I could still move my head, but everything else shrieked with pain when I tried to move it.  To my left I could see my standard army issue general’s hat.  It must have been blown from my head when the force from the explosion knocked me off my feet.  I could feel something under my body.  My back wasn’t quite pressed into the hard pan of the desert floor.  I tried to shift to make myself more comfortable but a pain erupted in my chest forcing me to breathe heavily and remain still. 



I could hear the mosquitoes now as they buzzed around my head.  Instinctively, I waved my arm to swat them away, but nothing happened.  Then the penny dropped – I couldn’t move my arm because it was no longer there.  My shirt felt damp and sticky, my skin felt scorched.  I felt panic and unconsciousness fighting for control of my body. 



The mosquitoes buzzed louder and louder.  I realised that the sound could have been the distant thrum of the engines of a rescue helicopter.  A new emotion – relief, but I really wasn’t sure.  Was it mosquitoes or salvation?  I breathed deeply to slow the rise and fall of my chest, to stop the flow of my life-force from my wounds.  I tried to turn my head in the direction of the noise.  There was immense pain behind my eyes.  I had to know – was help on its way?  The noise increased.  The air moved under the rotors.  I knew help was near.  I started laughing in delirium.  Then a figure stood over me, the image swimming as unconsciousness began to take hold.  I smiled in relief and let the darkness take me.

© Copyright 2011 darrenk (darrenk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1784538-Blast