*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1792492-Mixing-Senses
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1792492
A sick boy goes to the doctor and finds out his sickness is more of a gift.
Mixing Senses
Evir sat up slowly, careful not to do any damage to his head. He was always careful; never to rush otherwise things go wrong. Like when most people sit up to fast they hit their head on something or maybe fall off the bed.
         “You better be in that bed when I get up there mister!” Evir’s mother, Elizabeth, nicknamed Elm, called up the stairs.
         “I’m not!” Evir called back down.
         “I see that, and you should be. We talked about this yesterday. You weren’t to get out of bed till the doctors appointment,” Elm said as she walked into the room with a try full of delicious looking breakfast food.
         “I’m not that sick, just my body is acting a bit weird…” Evir trailed off.
         “Sick,” Elm replied in a matter of fact tone of voice, “Just like I said.”
         “Let’s not argue about something this dumb,” Evir argued.
         “Whatever,” she replied, as she handed him the plate. “Just eat you dinner and take a nap before we go.” Evir didn’t argue. He took the food and carried it over to his bed.
         The food looked amazing, not just the actual food but the smell looked amazing as well. Seeing the smell is much different then actually smelling it. A cloudy aroma of a different color comes from each thing with a different smell and can really impair Evir’s vision sometimes when there are a lot of things around him with different smells. But he can see through it quite easily otherwise.
         Then there was feeling the food. He could feel the food before it even got into his mouth. He could feel more then just the taste of it but the texture and everything about it. He could just feel it.
         Evir ate the food slowly, savoring, yet prolonging his hatred, the doctor. He knew, just knew that some day one would make him go mentally astray. They’d perform some type of surgery and just try and kill him. Maybe lead him down to Hell so that he’d burn in the fires forever. He had an ever growing paranoia of them.
         Once the delectable food was gone he threw his dampening covers back over himself to get ready for another nice rest. He was still very tired from the dream he’d had the night before.
         Evir stood in a huge plain that was completely full, full of darkness. The only other thing besides himself and the darkness was a man, standing just at six foot, only a few inches taller then Evir himself.
         The man had a long black cloak that went down to his ankles and a scythe in one hand made of a black wood that held a perfect metal blade. The hood on the cloak covered most of his face but Evir could see a little up it. The face therein was humanoid, but it was very dark, it was obvious that that face had endured many things, many years of troubles, sorrows, and hardships. It all was very scary, but the scariest thing was his eyes. They were blue, and amazing and brilliant blue but he lacked irises. The entire eye was a solid light blue that shone magnificently, ominously.
         “Confused?” the clocked man questioned.
         “Well I went to sleep and, assuming you’re the Grim Reaper, yes, I’m very confused.” Evir answered honestly. “I really hope this whole ‘mixed up senses’ thing didn’t kill me!” Evir said.
         “No, you could call this a vision,” the Grim Reaper replied. “This may sound cheesy beyond all cheesiness but you’re the only one,” The Grim reaper chuckled. “Sorry, I’ve always wanted to say that.”
         “Now I’m really confused…” Evir trailed off.
         “Well you have your little senses thing that can do countless things, so long as you put your mind to the test. Just think, think long and hard about, Evir. Evir! Get up!”
         “Now I’m super confused.” Evir said to the Grim Reaper.
         Then he did, Evir woke up in his bed holding tight onto his pillow. He opened his eyes to see his mom looming over him just as the Grim Reaper had and just at this moment he realized that her face was also very worn out. She looked tired and beat up; it was also obvious that in her eyes there to were many trials.
         “Yes mother?” Evir said, looking up into his mothers eyes.
         “It’s time to get up honey,” she said sweetly. Evir groaned as any teenager would as he sat up and started to get changed, first throwing on a plain black shirt, then remembering how they always have random crap on them from who knows what, he put on his blue shirt and dark blue Levi shorts and headed out his room and out into the car.
         They loaded into the car and sat in silence the entire time, silence besides the rumble of the car and the hum of the engine.
         Once they reached the clinic they hoped out of the car and walked slowly over.
         “Excited?” his mom asked perfectly aware of his superstitions.
         “Incomparably in fact,” Evir said dryly.
         “I see that,” she said looking at the tired expression and his long brown hair. “You need a hair cut,” she added.
And so he laughed,
         “You bring up the weirdest things so randomly,” Evir said laughing slightly. But his laughing stopped as he entered the clinic waiting room.
         There stood a woman, the receptionist, but her smell was not of a normal person. She had a black aroma around her, but not just a normal black someone might have if they hadn’t taken a shower in a million years, a darker black, the blackest a black could get.
         “You go talk to her,” Evir whispered into his mother’s ear and just as he did the receptionist looked right at him and waved him over kindly. He walked over reluctantly,
         “How may I help you sir?” the woman asked.
         “Well, I need an appointment… Judy” Evir said looking at the name tag.
         “I can arrange that, it will be a bit of a wait though, sorry,” she said with a smile that was a bit to friendly and welcoming.
“You can write me down as Evir.” Evir said trying to smile back.
Evir walked over, with his mom, to the chairs set up circulating the entire room. He sat and twitted his thumbs as she picked up an uninteresting magazine. They sat and waited, and waited, and waited.
         “Mr. Evir,” called a doctor standing, his head poking out a door. This man, he to had the horrid aroma encircling him, the blackest black of all blacks. Evir and Elm stood and walked over to the doctor and followed him into his room.
         The room was a pretty average doctors office, it had the cabinets with the different supplies and he chair that wasn’t quite a chair.
         “What seems to be the problem?” the doctor asked kindly. Evir wanted so badly to say, “You” but he refrained.
         “It’s quite complicated so I’ll explain the best I can,” Evir said staring the doctor in the eye. “It’s, essentially a mix of my senses…” Evir explained, and at that the doctor jumped a bit. Evir, eyed him and continued, “I see things I smell and I feel things I see. I can’t watch horror movies,” Evir laughed to himself at the joke.
         “Well, that is quite unorthodox,” the doctor said. “If you don’t mind ma’am, could you please go out of the room, I will get you when you can come in again,” the doctor said nicely, showing a toothy grin.
         “Yes,” she said blushing and walking out of the room.
         “Follow me,” the doctor commanded as he walked through an old wood door which Evir knew with certainty wasn’t there before. When they entered there was a long, narrow hall way made entirely of stone. It was short and the tall doctor had to crouch slightly as to not his head on the stone ceiling.
         Evir and the doctor walked down that hall way for what seemed to be an eternity, and it may as well have been. When they finally reached the end of it there was an enormous door that totally was out of proportion with the rest of that small passage way.
         The doctor laughed quietly,
         “You are about to enter a living Hell, literally, but the proper name is Dystopia, Hells equal, the real one.” The doctor opened the immense door and instantly Evir felt like he was being burned by the hottest flames on earth, and essentially he was right, only he wasn’t on earth, he was in Dystopia.
         “These are the flames of Dystopia, the one and only thing that can destroy us. Well, it has been told that there is another. That ‘other’ is you.” The doctor said pushing Evir inside the door and following immediately after.
         Evir felt the flames just by looking at them; they were towering pillars that shot higher then Evir could see. He looked away, the flames burned his skin though he was hundreds of feet away, not just by looking at them but their actually heat alone almost was melting his skin away.
         “I am not one that could kill you, I have no powers, I have no weapons or skills. I am just a normal human!” Evir yelled. “You got the wrong guy!”
         “Haha,” The doctor laughed, “even if you are only a human, I still will enjoy crushing you.”
         “You’re only a human as well,” Evir commented and just as he did the doctor began to change. His clothes started to rip as he grew and grew. His skin changed to a red and black color and his back became hunched slightly. He grew horns, just as expected and wings that expanded at least twice his body length.
         “I’m no human, I am a Worgroth,” said the Worgroth. “I am trapped in this Dystopia and only barely did we find a loop hole out. But if we go outside and make ourselves know the Grim Reapers bring us back down here and seal off the unknown exit.”
         “Well… since I have no awesome powers, I’ll just be leaving.” Evir said turning to walk out the door nonchalantly.
         “Oh, no you don’t. I will make this unusually slow and painful for my own pleasure. It sure has been a while since I killed a living human,” the Worgroth said.
         The Worgroth brought down his huge clawed hand on Evir nearly squishing him flat but Evir jumped out of the way just barely. The Worgroth and Evir continued this charade till the Worgroth finally said,
         “This is no fun!” and he grabbed Evir by the leg and pulled him up to eye level. The Worgroth slowly started to stretch the leg out and out as Evir screamed in agony. His leg was being torn slowly, each muscle popping and the bone slowly breaking. Evir could do nothing but scream and yell as he kept pulling. Then “pop!” his leg snapped off and blood came gushing out of the torn muscles and open vessels. Evir yelled louder then he ever had, the sound was deafening and saddening, it rang out through he flames and watching all of this happening made the pain twice as much but he could die from this. He knew that he could die in just a few minutes from the blood loss. He felt hopeless, what could he do? All he had was being able to feel things far away from him and feel even more pain. Just at that thought a light blub went off in his head. Evir ignored the indescribable pain and thought only of the fire, the Dyfire. He stared at it, feeling it he tired something he’d never thought of, he grabbed it. He grabbed the fire with his mind and picked it up, throwing it directly at the Worgroth moving onto the next leg. It hit dead on target and in only a matter of milliseconds the target was in fact dead, disintegrated. Evir fell to the floor and still ignoring the pain got up and hoped out of the room, blood following behind. But even as he jumped he grabbed the stone underneath him with his mind and lifted it up, carrying him into the hospital.
© Copyright 2011 GrimLuckus (grimluckus at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1792492-Mixing-Senses