*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1795244-Zombie-Survival---Letter-to-Undead-World
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1795244
The Prologue. Surviving a world filled with the undead, Proxy fights on.
Prologue - A letter to the undead world

         My name is Proxy.
         I live in a post-apocalyptic world, brought along by a plague, a disease that wiped out most of the population. Or rather, turned them into mindless cannibalistic eating machines with rotting flesh. As far as we know, it was created by some really stupid scientists somewhere. But it's not like we can exact justice on them with half of the population the way they are. That said, I live in a crumbling civilization filled with zombies. I knew hundreds of people from my life before this disease, who had turned into zombies. My friends and family, and the people that went to my church. I know that there are millions more in the world, hell even billions more people that I didn't know that had become part of the undead legion. I was thankful for that.
         It meant that I didn't have to feel bad when I killed them.
         Before this happened, I used to be the kind of girl that had a lot of friends backing her up. I would host good clean parties, no alcohol, and if they wanted to smoke, they had do go down the street, not only because I didn't want my parents to see my friends like that, but because I wasn't very happy with their choice either. I didn't condemn them for it, but I didn't really condone their actions. I would always get good grades, never get in fights. I was a naturally charismatic person, drawing people over to my side, even if they might have hated me at first. I actually had my first physical fight with my sister when she was trying to eat my brains.
         I used to be the kind of girl who would sit back and go with the flow, letting my own presence be known and march to the beat of my own drum, while still letting life go on in a peaceful manner. Semi-hippie you might say. I wasn't really one for violence. Now, I'd gladly shoot a zombie in the head and I wouldn't think twice about who it was and what they used to be. They used to be people with families and jobs, now they were simply things that threatened my survival. I owed it to myself to make sure that that particular threat was eliminated so I could survive a little longer.
         I used to live in the big city of Houston, TX with my mom, dad, and big sister. We used to go to the movies every Tuesday for family night, we went to our favorite restaurants for food, mine being Pei Wei. My sister and I usually argued a lot, but I didn't really hear of many siblings that didn't fight, so I wasn't too worried about it. I just thought of it as another sign of affection when I wasn't thinking about strangling her to death. I used to have a boyfriend, the tall, dark, and handsome kind. The kind that if I ever did get into any trouble, he'd be right there to help me. The kind that a lot of girls wanted for themselves. He was a great boyfriend. I used to have a lot of friends, but now they're just shambling horrors or blood splatters on the ground, courtesy of yours truly.
         I am still a 5'4 3/4" female with long black hair and chocolate brown eyes. I am a gamer, or would be if I could play World of Warcraft again without worrying about zombies sneaking up on me. I like anime, what I can find of it now at least. It seems that nerds and gamer geeks had some sense of what was happening and stocked up on what they thought was essential (Mt. Dew and Hentai) and they happened to take some of the actual good anime with them when they holed themselves up even further in their parents' basement.
         I didn't have to hide when this hit. I could take the offensive or defensive, whatever I chose because fortunately, I was born into a family that just happened to love guns. Lots of guns. And usually big guns. We ranged from the smaller .45s to the awesome .22s and 12 gauge shotguns. We also had AK-47s and the like in our basement. Both my mom and dad were part of the Texas Militia and took my sister and I to the range on more than one occasion. It was inevitable that I would become at least adept with guns. That kind of experience helps when you're trying to shoot a zombie in the head. Not only that, but I got to have my own armory because of my family.
         When the apocalypse hit, I was at home leveling up my Tauren Druid. (I was a pretty good healer if I do say so myself) and my parents had gone out together for some quality time together at the Devil's Pool restaurant. Naturally, my sister felt that, because our parents were out, she could now sneak over to see her boyfriend without any worries and have fun at the party that he was holding. I know for a fact that my sister wasn't one of the people who thought that staying away from alcohol was a good thing, especially since you usually ended up puking it back up the next morning.
         A couple of hours later she came back and I had just gotten out of Blackrock Depths. It made me laugh how quickly I could queue because of being a healer, and how easy it was to keep everyone alive unless the Tank was fail. Even then I would usually pull up their slack and keep everyone alive long enough to see the battle through and rez whoever went down. I could hear my sister coming up the stairs and stomping down the hall to my room. She slammed open my door and glared at me , telling me she wasn't feeling good and she was going to lie down. It didn't bother me one bit. At least it meant that she would leave me to pwn Allies with my warrior boyfriend in peace, instead of having to listen to her insistent chatter in my ear about how Geeks were so stupid and that they should get a life. At least my way to communicate with my boyfriend promoted abstinence. I'm not so sure about her little meetings.
         After I got to 52, I heard her pounding on my door. She sounded more than a little pissed, but that could have just been the buzz that she got from drinking too much. She did that often. But it turns out that she felt good enough to bother me for the munchies or making fun of my geekiness. I just shook my head and went to open the door, glad I was only bidding in the auction house instead of raiding an Alliance town or being Healz for an instance. But with 2 hours and 50 gold till buyout, I could take on whatever my sister threw at me and still be back in time to win.
         As soon as I touched the doorknob, I could tell that something was wrong. A small surge of fear went through me as I twisted the knob. Realizing that my hair was standing on end, I tried to stop myself from turning it any further. It was too late though, the latch had already removed from the latch, and she was still pounding on the door, forcing it open. As soon as she could, she jumped through the door and pounced on me. Freaked out, I lost my balance and fell back and we were grappling on the ground. I had wondered if she was drunk because her breath stank, her eyes were bloodshot, ad the fact that she was going crazy. But something told me otherwise, maybe it was the fact that her hair and skin was starting to come away in my hands.
         I freaked and kicked her off of me, running to the other side of the room and grabbing my samurai sword. It was only for show, but I knew it could cut through a lot. I threatened her with it, but the wild look never left her eyes. She kept growling and moving closer. I didn’t know of any alcohol that made her like this. She at least had a sense of self-preservation. Maybe she knew that I really wouldn’t use it on her.
         Seeing that threatening her didn't work, I looked towards the door. I was certainly closer to it than she was. I knew she wasn't coherent enough to unlock it, she could open it in the first place. I just had to get out, away from the crazy older sister who seemed to have a new fetish about human flesh. But first...
         I kicked her into my closet and closed the doors, preventing them from opening by placing the chair under the knobs. I stopped moving and leaned against my wall, catching my breath. When did she get so strong? I heard something coming from outside my window and ran to it. The sound of car alarms and screaming people penetrated the night and reached my ears, making my heart race for a moment.
         People were running around like chickens with their heads cut off and cars were swerving in the road trying to avoid them. There were more people that acted like my sister, going crazy and attacking other people. I cringed when I saw someone get caught and dragged down by one of the crazy people. More crazy people crouched over them and, get this, started biting them.
         I just shook my head and went around my room grabbing my weapons. I only had a few moments before she'd get to me and I needed supplies. I had to get mom and dad and they had to figure out what to do. They were parents, they always knew what to do, even if it took them a while. Since they were pretty much on the other side of the city, I knew it would be a while before I could find them, but at the same time, I didn't have a choice either way. I just hoped my sister would be a good girl and stay put until we got back (yeah right).
         I grabbed my favorite backpack and started flinging every weapon I had inside, if it needed ammo, I dumped what I had in there too. I grabbed my survival pack and started for the door when I saw my character go AFK. I panicked. What if my boyfriend didn't know what was going on?
         I ran to the keyboard and started yelling, all caps that there was an apocalypse outside and that everyone should get to cover. Most of them brushed me off, but my warrior came to find out what was up.
         I told him what was wrong and that he should find shelter. He typed "I love you" and I froze. There was something about those three words that shut me down. I had never really said them to him, I’d always shown him that I loved him and cared for him, did things with him that I wouldn’t do with anyone else, have good clean fun. I had to go, my sister was breaking out of my closet. I grabbed my packs and ran, twisting the lock on my door so it would catch when I closed it.
         She hurled herself after me and I had to laugh when she hit the door behind me, successfully getting it closed. I ran through the house and into the garage, thankful we had locks there too, with all of the crazy people in the streets. I opened the door to my Volkswagen bug and threw my things inside on the passenger seat. I was hoping that I wouldn't get pulled over and caught with all of my weapons, but with all of the other people in the street, I wasn't so worried about myself.
         I took one look back to the door leading back into the house and hoped that my sister would be alright until I got back with mom and dad. I felt for the keys in my pocket and nodded, getting in my car and driving out to the road, heading out into the night for the Devil's Pool.
         That's how I began living in this place. This was how I had to first deal with the zombie kind that now threatened the world’s last survivors. I have met a few survivors, we even made a guild in real life. Turns out we all were gamer geeks and played WoW, so it was only fitting that we started a anti-zombie guild. Ever heard of Midnight? Yeah, I was, in a way, the Guild Master, even though Cowboy brought it up and Chaotic gave the idea. I just gave the name, with help from Osiris, Grim, and Meyers. Sol and Pandamona were just glad to take part. We made up a small group that saved a lot of people and we keep them safe and train them to use firearms and scavenge for food. One of the survivors turned out to be the love of my life, whom I would die for. And probably will. Now in fact.
         I'm going to save him and I might get bitten in the process. If you're reading this, it's likely that I tried to eat you a few minutes ago, and for that, I'm sorry. I want to tell you my story, and I wish that one day I could have, but if you are reading this, then I am done.
         Oh! You're probably wondering who I am. I was an 18 year old girl who went to high school, but now, I'm a fighter. A zombie killer for hire or fun. I loot old stores to outfit myself with things I need/want. I am a survivor in this world, despite what this man-made virus has done to us.
         My name? I abandoned my name a long time ago, figuring that it died with my past life. I only go by what I'm called, not really a name, but something to go by.
         They call me Proxy, and I am a zombicidal maniac.
         Welcome to hell.
© Copyright 2011 Nami Kisaragi (namixkisaragi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1795244-Zombie-Survival---Letter-to-Undead-World