*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1795247-Dream-Forest
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1795247
This was written based on a dream I had. I can't remember the dream now, but I love it.
I'm running through the forest of life. The trees are the people I have encountered; the flowers, the beauties I have seen; the thorns and brambles the pain that I have gone through. Throughout my trip through the forest, I have chosen my own path. Of course, there are things that are determined to block my path and hold me back: the large trunk of the trees symbolizing my enemies, stopping me from moving forward and growing, and the entangling vines of the arms of my family, unwilling to let me go, though I've grown in to a fine young woman.
I've kept the pieces of them with me at all times. The memories with them bittersweet, forming themselves into thorny roses in my hands. I always handled them with care, nurturing their beauty and trying to avoid their thorns. Inevitably, I could not avoid all of the thorns, so I took the pain as I took the joy, each one going hand in hand.
Even as I kept running, fear started to build in my heart that I would come to an empty clearing, after all, the forest only goes on for so long. As the thoughts of not being surrounded by trees seeped into my mind, making my heart beat in fear, I passed too close to a deceitful tree, its roots resting high above the ground, but I couldn't see them, blinded as I was by faith.
The root caught onto my foot and dragged me to the ground. I felt stunned and couldn't get up. I had been betrayed by one of the trees that I had trusted so much. Tears started to soak my cheeks. The ground was so cold and I could slowly feel my heart becoming the same way.
I heard a branch from the same tree snap and fall to the ground. My head snapped up. A large black cat was clawing at the fallen limb, ripping the leaves and twigs off with its vicious claws and teeth. As terrifying as it was to watch before my eyes, I found it more beautiful than frightening.
The graceful way the large cat moved, ripping the branch to shreds while avoiding the vicious sting of the branch's hidden thorns. The low growl that it uttered every now and then rumbled my heart and made it pump faster. After the branch was turned to mulch, the panther stood over its fallen victim, unleashing a fierce roar at the parent tree.
I stared in wonder as the tee shuddered in fear. Eventually I felt the cat's eyes fall on me. My gaze traveled to his and my heart stopped. I felt our souls connect. I felt I could see everything about the beautiful beast. Strong heart, fierce determination, and a heart that knew exactly what it wanted.
I stood, suddenly feeling strength come to me from the panther. I wanted to get closer, to see for myself what the cat was like. Again my heart filled with fear. What if the cat would do to me what it did to the branch? I felt my foot slide back. The panther's eyes flashed as its large paw hit the ground in front of it, bringing it closer to me.
I was too afraid to find out what the cat wanted. I turned and ran away; searching for the familiar clump of trees that were my family and friends, but I was going somewhere I had never been before, just to get away from the beautiful black cat.
Just when I thought my lungs would burst, I had to stop. A large cold river ran before me. There was no way to cross and I knew that if I tried to swim, I would be swept away. I turned around, hoping that I could run away before the panther was there, but he was already there, blocking my path and refusing to let me run.
The golden eyes connected with mine again as he sauntered closer. I could only sink to my knees in despair. The memory of the panther's attack flashed through my mind. I groaned and put my head in my hands. This cat will do the same to me. I know that it would happen because I would sit by and let it. There was nothing I could do against such a strong beast like him, but there was such beauty in the cat, that I felt that I didn't want to fight.
I heard the cat coming closer, stopping just before my feet. A gentle mew came from the panther and made me look up. The tears I had been trying to hold back all that time broke free as soon as I saw its beautiful golden eyes again. I could see no hatred or animosity in those eyes. There was no trace that he would ever try to harm me. All I could see was a shimmering form of love and peace that I had never seen, nor felt, before.
I realized that the panther had attacked the tree not out of animalistic fury, but revenge for making me fall, because he loved me. As soon as I realized this, I felt his lips crash down on mine. They weren't the lips of an animal, as they should have been, but rather a human's lips that seemed to fit perfectly against mine.
Rather than seeing the love he felt, I could feel it for myself. We pulled away and the panther's face slowly started to fade into the features of a human. The forest started to fade away into a brightly lit room, the sunlight flowing through the white curtains. I could feel a soft pillow against my cheek, the white fabric catching the light and illuminating my view.
After my scenery change, the only thing that stayed the same was his face before my eyes. He was smiling softly, almost sadly as he rubbed his thumb against my cheek. "Did you have a bad dream?" I started to cry. I looked at his beautiful face and remembered why I had run.
The grace you had displayed before me, it was like nothing I had ever seen before. I had fallen just before you saw me, groveling on the ground after my betrayal. You were strong enough to fight when I could barely lift my head. Your strong muscles rippling beneath your black fur, I was a witness to your strength. I saw your body shift and flit around the forest floor, destroying your enemy with deadly precision.
When your eyes met with mine, I could see the inner beauty that dwelled within your soul. I began to become afraid of the thought that you would see into my soul. I was afraid that you would see the ugliness that dwelled in me. My greed, selfishness, even my outer-ugliness that seemed to be illuminated in your presence, I wanted to hide away, keep you away from me. I didn't deserve someone like you.
"Is my beautiful girl crying?" I could feel him wiping away my tears as they tried to fall. I stared into his eyes, matching the eyes of the panther, the liquid gold that completely captured me every time I looked into them. As I looked into his eyes, I felt hope.
I shook my head. If he thinks that I am beautiful, maybe there is some hope for me after all. I'll try. I'll be someone who deserves him. "No. I'm just getting rid of my weaknesses. I'm going to be stronger. Just for you."
He chuckled to himself, the small rumble in his chest reminding me of the growl of the panther. "Why? When you're perfect the way you are?"
© Copyright 2011 Nami Kisaragi (namixkisaragi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1795247-Dream-Forest