*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1795994-Mauvais-Endroit-Mauvais-Moment
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Ocean
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Dark · #1795994
Another chapter, Steve Corgan finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Another evening spent wasting away in front of the computer trying to think up a good intro for my new book. I knew what to write for the middle and I had a great ending worked out, but I didn't know how to get it all to flow together. Giving up once again after hours of attempts, I decided to go out to the pub. A few of my friends from work had gone out tonight, and I told them I was going to try making some progress on my book rather than head out.
I had a quick shower, fried some bacon and sausages for dinner, spiked my hair with some gel, put on a pair of jeans and a shirt, and grabbed a pair of shades, despite the fact it was night time. Washing my dinner down with a quick beer, I grabbed my keys and headed out.

just as I was locking the door to my apartment, the landlord passed by. She was a dark skinned girl and extremely pretty. She had grown up in england and still had the accent. Unfortunately, I had been skiving off on my payments for the rent, and she wasn't too happy about that.
"There you are, Steve. Where is my money? I've given you an extra week, and still no dosh?" She said loudly.
I winced. "Ehm...look, I've got like..." I fumbled in my pockets for some notes, and produced a couple, which she grabbed hungrily.
"Look, Steve, I like you, and you're cute, and I know you've taken me out on a few dates, but I can't have you living here for free."
I smiled charmingly at her. "What if I said you were the prettiest and fairest landlord in the city?"
"Oh stop that, lover boy!" She giggled. "Just try to be more on time, yeah?"
"Sure thing, Janey." I kissed her cheek as I left, causing her to groan and laugh. Before she could ay anything back I was gone out the door.

As I was walking down the street to the pub, a loud bang echoed around the streets. I knew by the intensity of the noise that it had to be a gunshot. I reached into my pocket, palming the flick-up knife I had there.I opened it up and let my sleeve fall over the blade, shielding it from view. I heard footsteps, and braced myself. A figure came running around the corner, straight towards me. I could see the gun in his hand as he ran. He slipped it into a pocket in his large overcoat as he ran, not even registering that I was there. He stopped in front of me and stood perfectly still. Then the gun was in his hand he started walking towards me. He raised it, but before he could fire, I threw the knife at him in desperation. By sheer luck, the blade sliced his arm on it's way and I was able to run down the nearest side alley. I took as many turns as I could, and tried to move towards the source of the gunshot. He'd have to be mad to return to where he had just done the deed. I could hear no pursuit but I ran on anyway. When I emerged from the network of alleys and gulleys, I was greeted by the scene of the crime. A blonde woman was lying on the cracked pavement, blood pooling around her. Two teenage girls were hugging each other in front of the corpse, and a man was standing over her, examining the body. I could hear sirens now, and I walked across the road to the body. A second man ran over to me. "Hey, what are you doing? Who are you?"
I told him what had just happened, and he brought me to the station. So much for a fun night out.
© Copyright 2011 Ocean (drust79 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1795994-Mauvais-Endroit-Mauvais-Moment