*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1797403-The-Rant
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Other · Other · #1797403
see keywords.
There are those that toss poems, essays, statements, stories, etc. of writers who have classified their own work as poetry, fiction, essays, etc. into a literary garbage bin known as “the rant.” You will find that when people sense passion in something someone is saying these days, somehow, if it has an angry tone, one of discontent, they are dismissed, apparently, because no one who is angry also has the finesse to spell their own name, much less form a complete sentence in the eyes of said individuals. This classification brings with it negative stereotypes and gives the work in question something of a lesser status. One pictures a group of old miserable men sitting in a room yelling at each other and never putting the pen to the paper for any of it. The fact remains, if your work has been thrown in the wastebasket in such a way, you should not let this affect you in the least.



Humans in the 21st century are an opinionated species. Even the biggest doorknob with the slowest pulse in the bucket has an opinion about some piece of frivolous pop cultural trash like Lady Gaga or the next Justin Timberlake movie. When you voice your opinion, you are taking a step in the direction of being more alive than you once were. You and I are here for less than a breath in the greater scheme of things---this is not a practice run & contrary to the beliefs of some, you do not get brownie points from anyone for being polite, quiet & good little submissive followers.



Speak out! Speak at the highest rooftops! Climb a mountain & scream! If you are a human being, the rest of us want to here from you---if only to assert to others that you existed. You have no time like the present! Do not be discouraged by those that continue to toss our work in the round file, labeling us something other than what we decide ourselves to be, for together we are pushing that envelope and staying interesting amidst the bland mainstream sludge that the tossers perpetuate. Keep writing! Keep yelling! Keep spitting! Keep screaming! We need to hear from you.
© Copyright 2011 delapruch (delapruch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1797403-The-Rant