*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1799715-The-National-Debt---Part-2
by blov8
Rated: E · Article · Political · #1799715
An Opinion article The National Debt - Part 2. I may also post on my blog site blov8.com.
The National Debt - Part 2


  In my first article "The National Debt, I discussed the quality of the news media and our politicians, the lack of wisdom in raising the debt limit, the federal government's thirst for power and control, and the individual states need to reclaim their position in our Republic. This part 2 article will present some of my thoughts on ways to correct our ailing government.

  Our founding fathers were, as you know, revolutionaries. They were determined to establish a government that would remain responsive to the people.  I believe that this single attribute is the most endearing quality and the quality most in jeopardy of being lost in the ongoing drift toward liberalism.  The federal government should concern itself primarily with it’s obligations defined in the United States Constitution and allow all others matters to be accomplished at the logical local levels; state, county, city, etc. When governing is kept as close as practical to the people, the risk of a runaway power grab is minimized.  I suspect that it would be a good idea to repeal the seventeenth amendment, which would give appointment of the two federal senators back to the state legislatures. The one hundred senators in the United States Senate have become the one hundred most powerful men in the United States and are totally unchecked by the States they represent.  This collective one hundred may be the most powerful entity on the globe and that is an unwarranted collection of power.

  The United States House of Representatives is the federal legislative body designed to be closest and most responsive to the people.  Each state receives representation in the House in proportion to its population but is entitled to at least one representative.  This body has the responsibility of the purse and the people should hold them accountable at election time.

  The Free Enterprise System is an economic system that serves our nation well provided that the government at all levels plays a responsible and limited role.  Redistribution of wealth will destroy free enterprise and it brings to mind that old saying "Biting the hand that feeds you".  There is a subtle and orchestrated effort afoot in our country to undermine The Free Enterprise System and replace it with a government driven society.  There is ample room in the American Experiment for compassion and assistance for those in need without destroying the most equitable economic system in the world.  The sad thing about this direction towards a government driven life is that the model being pursued has been tested before and history indicates that it is doomed to fail!

In closing for now:

  The federal government should serve in a supporting role where the states were given constitutional preference.

  The topic of this article is "The National Debt", I took the high road in part 2.  Part 3 will discuss nuts and bolts.

  For Now, We Need to Start Informing the American People.

  There is no valid reason why The United States of America should have any substantial debt!



© Copyright 2011 blov8 (blov8 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1799715-The-National-Debt---Part-2