*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1801171-KZZZ-TV-and-Al
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1801171
One day in the life of Al, KZZZ TV and his friend Darla.
“Good morning, Al. How are you this morning?” Jennifer was always chirpy at 5:45 in the morning and Al was on his fifth cup of coffee.

Her sound was enough to wear the horns off a Billy goat and Al’s horns were wearing thin. He’d been called down to the station three hours earlier because the Internet was down. Her voice pierced his ears like a knife cutting through butter. There was something about her television voice that he just didn’t like, but Walter loved it and that was the last word.

KZZZ was an independent non-commercial educational public television station. Houston and the surrounding area had over seventeen television stations and they were just over a year old. Al was paid to manage all Internet problems and there had been plenty since the day this little station opened.

Jennifer plunked herself down in the chair next to Al. “Jen that perfume is strong this morning,” Al bent away from her as if it could get on him like rain…sour rain.

“Good morning team,” big as daybreak there was Walter grinning from ear to ear carrying two cups of Starbucks coffee. He leaned toward Jennifer and placed the coffee in front of her, “Just like you like it.”

Al mumbled “Good morning” and excused himself with the excuse, “Need to check on the Internet once more and make sure the problem is fixed.” Walter just waved and let him go without a word as he pulled a chair next to Jennifer.

“I’ve got less than ten minutes to air time, “Jennifer was fussing with her makeup because Walter refused to hire a make-up artist and she needed more foundation applied quickly.
With her pinky finger up she tried to drink the hot coffee leaning way over the table so it would not spill on her blouse and went immediately back to looking in her large table mirror.

“Walter, we need dressing rooms with make-up mirrors.” She was using those big brown eyes to persuade him.

“I know. I’ll get all that we need in due time.” Walter grabbed his coffee and was out the door.

Houston’s largest television station was airing and Al heard “13,000 miles per hour. The rocket carried the glider to the edge of space where it separated from the rocket to plunge through the atmosphere at that speed. And next Charlie will bring you the New Acid Rain.”

The commercial was long enough for a nap, but up popped Charlie’s face. “The acid rain scourge of the ‘70s and ‘80s killed trees, fish and even dissolved parts of statues on Washington, D.C.’s National Mall. Well, it’s back. But unlike the first round, in which sulfur emissions from power plants mixed with rain to make sulfuric acid, the current problem stems from nitrogen emissions mixed with rain to create nitric acid rain. Acid rain can remove soil nutrients and injure plants.”

“Turn to Channel 86,” Walter was standing at the door demanding that Al change to another station.

“They just said a local tv station with internet problems.” Al could see the concern on Walter’s face, but they were not talking about KZZZ.

“Walter, calm down. You think every competing TV station knows all about our problems.” Al was rubbing his head and his thick black hair was pulled back like a man wearing a ponytail.

“You’ve got me as uptight as a cat on a hot roof. Five cups of coffee since three this morning doesn’t help me either.” Al slumped down in his chair.

“Go home. Get some rest and call back around three this afternoon and I’ll let you know if we need you.” Walter was trying to cover his mistake to make him feel better, but Al grabbed at the chance to get some rest.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The alarm was blaring when Al finally pushed the off button. After washing his face, he called Walter and he was off for the rest of the evening. Al was wide awake. It was Friday afternoon and he was hungry. He was thinking Darla should be home or on her way home from school by now. Al met Darla at the Station’s Picnic which was held every July at the Lone Star Ranch. She is the camera operator’s sister and a teacher at the local elementary school. Jennifer had introduced them.

Darla picked up her cell phone to hear, “Hi! I’m hungry. How about Mexican food early?”

“I’m fine. How was your day?” She laughed. “Yes, I’m hungry too. I’m in the driveway now. I’ll be ready in 5 minutes.”

“Make it 30 minutes. I need a quick shower and I’ll be there.” Al felt pleased that Darla agreed so quickly.

Al was out of the house in 15 minutes and it was 5 minutes to Darla’s house so he was early. Approaching the back door he saw three shiny silver dimes on the doorstep. Swooping them up he took them into the house to Darla. “I found these at the back door,” and he placed the coins in her hand.

“They aren’t mine. I wonder who put them there.” Darla looked really puzzled.

To lighten her thoughts, Al started singing, “three dimes on a doorstep” to the tune of “Three Coins in a Fountain.”

At the restaurant entrance, the classical finial water fountain was surrounded by brick where the customers could sit and wait for their table. The area made Al think of a garden oasis with huge ferns swaying in the wind. This area was partially air conditioned with the ceiling fan bringing the air down to anyone waiting for a table.

It was 4:30 pm and no one was waiting in line. Al grabbed Darla’s hand before she reached the door. “Get your coins, say a wish and toss them into the fountain for good luck.”

Darla smiled. “You make a wish also and we’ll wish together,” and she tossed in the coins.

Words: 989
© Copyright 2011 M.Harris (mharris at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1801171-KZZZ-TV-and-Al