*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1803261-Watching-You
Rated: E · Other · Horror/Scary · #1803261
A woman receives a deadly scare. Flash fiction.
Flash Fiction

"Watching You," By Jonni M. Hayes

Samantha tripped over a plastic toy truck as she rushed to the phone, struggling to silence the noise before it woke Aiden. Instead she nearly toppled into the coffee table, stubbing her toe on its wooden leg.

Breathless and irritable, she snagged the receiver as it rang for a final time.

"Hello?" She asked, distracted, listening for the soft cries of a waking child.

"Hello," a voice replied. Male, deep, plaintive and unfamiliar.

"I've been watching you. Now I want a closer look."

Samantha frowned, fear slicing through her body, turning her leggs to rubber, pulling her tongue into knots.

"Is this-" she swallowed dryly, licked her lips."Is this some kind of sick joke?"

"Am I laughing?"

Click. The line went dead.

Dismayed and more than a little frightened she set the receiver on its cradle and crossed the living room to check that the door was locked. It was.

The window in the kitchen was open wide to let in some fresh air, and she snapped it closed and flipped the latch down. Perhaps the phone call had been nothing short of a cruel prank, but she wouldn't take any chances.

As she drew the curtains closed, a voice whispered softly in her ear, "I'm still watching."


© Copyright 2011 jonnimichelle (jonnimichelle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1803261-Watching-You