*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1807087-The-Tale-of-a-Killing
by Alex
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1807087
How a girl proves the killing of her little brother.
“The invitation came!” I shouted upstairs to my mother. “I got invited to Lady Alexandria’s midnight-birthday ball, Sunday!”

I was almost overjoyed. For several years now, I had done good deeds for Lady Alexandria, and had put up with her babbling about her most recent beaux. And, why had I done these things? I did them because five years ago, whenever I was only twelve years in age, she murdered my little brother. Lady Alexandria was a murderess.

“That’s great sweet-heart.” My mom called back. Poor Mom I thought. She used to be so full of life. That is, she was normal before little Sawyer had died. After that, her mind couldn’t grasp reality. She just moved through life as if in a fog. I pitied my mother, and that’s why I had put up with Lady Alexandria’s babbling for the past five years. I had to get her to trust me, and then I would prove that she murdered my little brother and hopefully, save my mother’s mind.

“What will you wear?” my mother asked coming down the stairs. I froze. I had already worn all my fine dresses in front of Lady Alexandria, and she would expect me to wear something new for Sunday.

“Um…”I stalled. If I told Mom what I was doing she might not let me go Sunday, and even though I was practically grown up and seventeen years old, I was still afraid of her.

“I know,” she said, before I could think of an excuse. “You were hoping we could go shopping and buy you something used, and then I could fix the dress so it looked new. When were you planning to tell me?”

Relieved that Mom had thought of an excuse for me, I said, “I had to be invited first, Mother dear. You of all people should know that.”

“Oh, yes. It had simply slipped my mind; I was so excited about making a dress for you I didn’t even think about that.” She paused, “Do you want to go now?” she finally asked as if she had been expecting me to say something.

“Of course I want to go now!” I almost shouted. I didn’t want her to change her mind. “Just let me change my shoes…”

********

“You look beautiful.” My mother whispered as I stood Sunday, minutes before I was to leave for the tea party. And, normally, I don’t stand in front of mirrors, because I don’t like seeing what poverty has done to us, but this time I did and admired my reflection.

I was dressed in a blood red gown with slits along the legs, and sleeves that widened as they came down my arm. It fit my form and was simple and elegant at the same time.

“Thank you, Mom.” I said and leaned over to hug her. At first I had not wanted the dress because it had been much too big for me, but my mom insisted that it was the one, and I had learned a long time ago to accept my mom’s judgment about dresses since she had been a seamstress in her earlier years. Now, people thought that she was mad, and nobody wanted a mad woman to do their sewing and mending. I lied to her and told her that they had lost their senses and didn’t want her fine sewing. What else could I tell her?

“The carriage is here!” my mother cried as I shook past memories from my head. “Don’t forget to give Lady Alexandria her gift!” Mother called after me as I got into the carriage.

“I won’t.” I replied I smiled back at her and waved prettily back to her. I wanted her to be happy. She was my mother after all, and even if she was crazy, it wasn’t her fault. It was that horrible lady Alexandria’s fault for killing my little brother.

I calmed myself down on the way there and tried to think of other things instead. I wondered if Lady Alexandria would like her gift. I made any money we had be designing jewelry, and for Lady Alexandria I had created a beautiful necklace strung with the darkest purple gems I could afford, and the smallest black beads I could find. It would match her gown tonight I knew, because she had told me all the details about it, even before I was invited to her ball.

The carriage stopped, and I looked out the window. I was there.

********

“Kelsey! I’m so glad you could come,” Lady Alexandria gushed. “This is going to be the best ball this year!” Then, as if noticing my dress for the first time tonight she commented “I like your dress, it looks good on you!”

“Thanks,” I smiled politely, not because I liked her or cared about how she thought I looked, but because I needed to play my part. “Oh here,” I said. “I almost forgot about your gift. “ I was acting my part again. I never forgot anything, ever.

She opened the small box I had given her necklace to then and there. Her eyes lit up when she saw it. “It’s beautiful; I don’t know how to thank you!”

Honestly, I was shocked. I had expected her to just brush it off, as if it weren’t important, or to have received tons of something similar. But, acting my part, I didn’t look shocked, I just replied, “You’re welcome, and I’m glad you like it. Perhaps for Christmas I can make you another one…”

I stopped talking because at the mention of Christmas, she turned white. “Lady Alexandria, is something wrong?”
She grabbed my arm tightly and her fingernails drew blood, but I didn’t dare withdraw my arm. I was about to find out something important, I could sense that much.

“I have to show you something,” she whispered looking around nervously. “Come tomorrow dressed as a servant.” Then she relaxed the grip on her arm and laughed as if nothing were wrong. Who here was she hiding from? I could only wonder and wait to find out, tomorrow.

“Miss Kelsey let me show you to my most recent, and probably most successful suitor I’ve had all year.” Lady Alexandria smiled at a certain man as she led me towards him. “His name is…”

“Allow me to introduce myself,” a deep voice said. With no expression at all written on his face, he dipped his head in my direction, and said, “I am Aeron, and plan on marring this beautiful lady a month from today.”

As soon as he finished talking, he pulled Lady Alexandria to him, and kissed her roughly, his gray eyes looking straight into my soul the entire time. After their kiss, he nodded toward me, and merged into the crowd of people.

“Well, he seems nice,” I said. That’s not exactly what I was thinking though…Nice? Yeah right. I would see this guy again for anything in the world!

“Yeah,” Lady Alexandria replied. But, there was a look in her eyes I had seen earlier when I had mentioned Christmas. “I’m lucky to have such a great man like him…”

She trailed off, and I was glad to leave it at that. “If you don’t mind,” I changed the topic,” I’m going to find something to eat now.”

“Go ahead,” she waved me away. “If you need me, I’ll be in my chamber resting, I have a little headache.”

Glad to escape, I left her so she could go rest, and I was going to dance.

********

I stood by the food table and wondered what food to eat. There was so much food, more then I had ever seen. As I stood over the pointlessly tiny sandwiches, I heard someone come up behind me, and turned around and saw Aeron.

“Oh, excuse me, I was just leaving,” I said and turned to walk away, desperately hoping that he would say something.
“Wait,” he called, “Let me come with you.”

I turned and didn’t have to fake a blush to be playing my part. “Wouldn’t it be bad for you reputation if I were saw with you, Aeron?” I barely managed to stammer out his name. I hated when a guy made me feel shy. It meant I liked them.

“I’m too important for anyone to contradict. I’ll worry about my reputation you worry about offending me.”

Motioning for him to come along with me, I thought about what he had just said. I was to worry about offending him? OK, even though he might be the most beautiful guy I had ever seen, and had a wonderful voice to listen to, I would worry about offending whoever I wanted to offend.

“Excuse, me,” Aeron said, “Is something wrong? You look deep in thought…”

“Yeah, fine.” I replied. Something didn’t add up about this guy, and I didn’t like it or him anymore. “Look, I think I’m starting to catch something in this night air. I’ll see you later?”

“As if I wouldn’t see you again; I’ll make sure of it,” he replied in a voice so deep I thought it was a growl. “Goodnight, Kelsey.”

“Goodnight, Aeron.”

That was an experience I didn't want to repeat, I thought to myself as I walked away. "I am never getting between a man and his bride again," I promised aloud.

"What'd you say, Kelsey?" Lady Alexandria appeared out of nowhere.

"Nothing, I was just thinking about my little brother." I said quickly, then realized what I had done. This woman, lady, whatever you called her, had killed him!

"Oh, I wasn't aware that you had a brother. How old is he? I might be able to use him as a page in the palace." she replied with actual interest in her eyes.

"He died five years ago," I could breathe again. She still didn't know that I knew she had killed my little brother; my Sawyer.
© Copyright 2011 Alex (aengel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1807087-The-Tale-of-a-Killing