*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1810059-A-Piece-of-the-Moon
by Tye
Rated: E · Other · Children's · #1810059
A short children's story I've been working on. I originally made it as a picture book
A mother and her son Cody, live in a small house in a small town. They don’t have a lot, but they are happy. Mother is at her desk trying to pay the bills with what little money she has. Cody is walking in the door, coming off the school bus that day. Cody sees his mother in her usual spot at the desk with a worried look on her face. “Hi mom’ Cody says and give his mother a hug. “How was your day at school?” His mother replies as she takes a break to welcome her son home. “Great! Mom, Joey got a new bike! A red one! Can I get one too?” Cody says excitedly. His mother looks at him for a second and gently replies, “What’s wrong with the bike you have?” Cody stares at his mom; clearly his mom doesn’t get it. “Nothing, I just want one like Joey’s”. Cody’s mother just shakes her head at her son, signs and says, “Well honey, we just can’t afford to get you a new bike right now. The bike you have now is perfectly fine.”

The next day after Cody gets off the bus from school; his mother is waiting for him in the driveway. Cody is going to spend the night at his grandma’s house while his mother goes to work at the diner, where they have the best chocolate chip pancakes in the world, according to Cody. They say hello and Cody climbs in the car. On the way he tells his mother how Katie from school got a new video game and asked if he can get it too! “I’m sorry honey, we just can’t right now. You be good at Grandma’s while I’m at work.”

When they arrive at Cody’s Grandma’s house, he runs up to the door where his grandma is waiting. ‘Hi, Grandma” Cody yells. “Hi Cody, I’ve been waiting for some Grandma Time!” she smiles and gives him a big hug like no one else can do.

Once inside, Cody runs over to the kitchen table because he sees that his grandma has made cookies. With a mouth full of cookie, he looks up at his grandma and asks “Grandma, Joey got a new red bike and Katie got a new video game. Can I get those things?” “Well Cody, I could get you a new bike and a new video but wouldn’t you rather have something that neither of them have, something that is all your own.” His grandmother said. Cody’s eyes lit up. He would love to have something that special.

“What is it Grandma?’

His grandma reaches in her pocket and pulls out a small white stone and hands it to her grandson.

“It’s a piece of the moon.

Did you know the moon is magic?” She says in a whisper. Cody holds this rock in his hands; very carefully he turns it over, examining this special gift. “Is it really Grandma?” he returns in a quiet voice like it was a secret only his grandma and him could only know. “Yes, you keep it in your pocket and it brings you good luck.” Cody couldn’t believe it. A piece of the moon in his hands, wait until Joey and Katie see this. His Grandma continued “At night before you fall asleep, look up at the moon and remember it’s the same moon I’m looking at. So when you see the moon you’ll think of me and I’ll be thinking of you.” Cody fell asleep with his new moon stone in his hand.

The End
© Copyright 2011 Tye (tyeslater at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1810059-A-Piece-of-the-Moon