*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1812199-Home-Again
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1812199
Mark and Julia were friends in high school, but now she's engaged and he's jealous...
Home Again

By Olga AllyAnn Gridin


Word Count: 5859

Julia rarely set foot in a church…until recent events caused a change of heart. She was supposed to be getting married to a successful businessman and instead she wasin church confessing her issues. She tried to solve it on her own but ended up in St. Peter’s, New York. Fate was a funny thing. Who would have thought that Julia Clark, a small town girl, would mess up her life so curtly at the age of 25?

  Julia has never been the one to cause drama, and she’s never been in trouble until a blast from the past began messing up her carefully organized life. Her scheduled everyday life became a spontaneous list of unexpected actions.

  Reverend father John, who was in the confession chamber, was listening to Julia’s story.

  “...caught me completely off-guard. I haven’t seen him or heard from him for 13 years, and suddenly he appears in my office and dares to ask me out to dinner in Mystique restaurant. He knew I was engaged! He ruined my engagement with Paul Nickson, that blockhead – he makes me so mad I can’t even find him the proper name for him! How dare he, tell my fiancé behind my back that I was no longer interested in getting married! And then he asks me out to dinner. Without asking me he ruined my engagement.”

  Father John said, “Very often love comes disguised as hate.”

  Shaking Julia said, “Who said I love him?”

  “Julia, you are very confused at the moment. You need to figure out your feelings before you take further actions.”

  “Father, are you saying I don’t know what I feel? It’s absurd!”

  “No, it’s not absurd. It happens to many people. Take some time off to think everything over and come back for another confession when you are ready.”

  “I will never return,” she threatened hating herself for sinking so low.

  Father John smiled at her pig-headedness. How many times he has heard it before…He said confidently, “You will be back.”

  That’s why Julia preferred to stay away from church, even in Sundays: despite their calm tones the reverend fathers always spoke with too much self-confidence. She repeated her no, picked up her handbag and strode out of the church. Once she was outside she wrapped her scarf tighter and put on her white hat, stepped to the snowing streets of January and headed home. Living on the fourth floor of an elevator-free building didn’t bother her in the least.

  Waiting for her on her glass coffee table was a pile of letters. Julia took off her cashmere coat and engaged herself with the letters. One letter was from her former fiancé, Paul, where he politely asked her to keep distance from him. She shook her head in regret – Paul was a real gentleman and knew how to treat a woman. It was a shame that he would never be back with her. The one other letter was from her mother, who lived in her hometown south of New York – she invited Julia to come over to the father’s 50th birthday. Julia didn’t feel like going anywhere but couldn’t deny that it was an opportunity to clear her head. Well, at least Mark won’t be there…She got up and went to her clean kitchen to make a cup of hot tea. After so many years living in New York she was going to see Vanderbilt again.
*


Mrs. Emily Clark listened attentively at the window, looking outside at the snowy street from time to time. Her reflection at the window told her she succeeded in keeping her face wrinkle-free, although she had a feeling it wasn’t for long. Her hair was still brown and curly at the ends, and she felt younger than ever. Her children were finally coming home. She returned her attention to the blue sweater she was knitting for her husband. She was almost finished now, only a few stitches away. At that moment the sound of car wheels on gravel in the garage made her put down her work. Her husband’s black Toyota was out. She put on a brown shawl her daughter had given her last Christmas on her warm dress and went out on the porch to greet her daughter. She barely recognized Julia. Perhaps because her daughter was now dying her hair blond now or the fact that Julia looked younger in an elegant dress from Castro and not casual jeans…But it didn’t matter now. The important thing was that Julia was back now.

  Unable to contain her joy Mrs. Clark ran down the stairs and hugged her daughter without a warning. “Oh, my baby is at home!”

  “Yes, mama,” Julia said.

  “Emily, where is Bill?” Mr. Clark said.

  “In the barn, feeding Skylark.” Skylark was their horse, brown with a magnificent black mane.

  “I’ll call him. Meanwhile you two go make hot tea. And don’t forget the famous homemade Clark butter cookies.”

  “Yes, darlin’,” Emily said. The Clark women sent into the house where a fire was keeping the place warm.

  Moments later a tall young man with a mane of brown hair and brown eyes strode into the old-fashioned living room, directing the women’s attention to him. “Look who’s here,” he said meaning Julia. “Long time no see.” He intended to come hug his younger sister, but then his mother noticed his dirty boots.

  Mrs. Clark went ballistic if somebody spread dirt in her impeccably clean living room. “Bill, not with the boots.”

  “Sorry, mama.” He completely forgot his mother’s attitude towards dirty boots in the house. He left the boots near the door and went to give Julia a hug.

  Douglass Clark, the head of the family, went to join his family, united after a long time that the children were busy working and leading their own lives.

  “Doug, do you want black or green tea?” his wife asked heading to the kitchen.

  “Doesn’t matter as long as you make it,” he teased. He didn’t need to see her to know that she was smiling.

  When the family was seated in the cozy living room Douglass Clark turned to Julia. “So, darlin’, how are the preparations for the wedding going?”

  Julia didn’t know how to break the news to her family. She said on the telephonr that the wedding had been postponed in order to buy time, but how long could she keep it a secret? “Daddy, not now.”

  “What’s the matter, problems?”

  “Just a misunderstanding, that’s all.”

  “You’ll be back together in no time, don’t worry. He’s insane about you.”

  Julia smiled reluctantly. She didn’t want to ruin her father’s day by telling him she and Paul would never be together again.

  Bill said, “Julia, you will never guess whom I saw yesterday.”

  “Whom?” she said absentmindedly.

  “Mark Spencer. Do you remember him? You were in the same grade, different classes.”

  Julia’s heart sank. Her mother’s cheerful voice was far from helpful.

  Emily Clark said, “Oh, he’s such a nice young man! We invited him to the birthday party, too.”

  “You did?” Julia said, hardly able to keep her voice from shaking.

  “Honey, are you alright?”

  ‘To tell or not to tell,’ she thought. ‘No, better wait.’ She forced a smile that looked a little painful. “Yes, I’m fine. By the way, how is he?” She pretended to care for the sake of her parents.

  “He’s a lawyer now. I was so proud when I heard this. He lives in New York, too, you know?”

  “Really?” Of course she knew it! She’ll have to talk him into her game of deceit, best before tomorrow night. Still thinking how she would do it, she inclined Bill’s offer of a poker match, like the ones they used to have when they were teenagers. She gave up heels and elegant dresses and put on her blue jeans, flat boots and a sweater and went for a walk.

  In a small town like Vanderbilt everybody knew everybody. Despite the fact that Julia hasn’t set foot here for almost a year the few people that were brave enough to face the snow waved at her and called her over to talk. Elderly Mrs. Rodgers was still carrying around the red handbag her husband had bought for her 30 years ago. She waved merrily at Julia, and the latter approached her.

  “How nice to see you, my dear!” Mrs. Rodgers pulled snow out of the mass of her curly short grey hair. “You have become a beautiful woman. I remember when you were 16 – you had so many freckles you were afraid you wouldn’t get a date for the school dance.”

  “Mrs. Rodgers, it’s all in the past. I’m engaged to be married.”

  Before Mrs. Rodgers could say anything somebody said behind their backs, “No, you’re not. Paul broke the engagement.”

  ‘God, haven’t I suffered enough,’ Julia thought. She turned around to face Mark’s smirking face. “No, Mark, we are back together,” she lied hoping he’d believe her.

  “Hello again, Mrs. Rodgers,” Mark said briskly. “What brings you out this glorious day?”

  “I’m out of milk, and Paws is hungry.” Paws was Mrs. Rodgers’ black cat – which was a very bad thing, because the Rodgers’ neighbors were very superstitious.

  “Well, you’d better hurry to the store,” said Julia.

  “Yes, Paws always cradles near the door whenever I’m late,” Mrs. Rodgers said. “I suppose I will see you tomorrow at your father’s party.”

  “I hope so,” Mark said, “I was invited, too. Save me a dance, Mrs. Rodgers.”

  “You always were a perfect gentleman,” the elderly woman said touching his cleanly shaved cheek. “I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a little lady with you. Well, I’ll be off. Good day, angels.”

  When Julia and Mark were alone again she turned all her rage on him. “How could you? First you break my engagement and now you chase me?”

  “You look so beautiful when you are angry,” he said. “Your eyes turn blue and you blush.”

  She composed herself. The snow began falling again, making his golden hair seem white. “Mark, what do you want from me?”

  “Can’t you guess?”

  Julia thought she saw lust sneak into his eyes.

  “Good day, Mr. Spencer,” she said walking away.
*


The darkness was upon the town when Julia set foot at Sizzle at Wizzle’s, the pub that was crowded almost every night. The owner of the pub was known as Wizzle, and his homemade beer was the most famous in the county. Although he was constantly drinking with the customers, he was a very thin man. He always claimed he was blessed with the genes of his father.

  Entering the pub she felt like a graduate again. It seemed like only yesterday she was coming here every other night to have beer with her friends, most of them boys from the baseball team. The counter was lined with high chairs, most of them occupied at the moment. The stage was empty tonight, the musical instruments in the backstage room except a set of drums and a keyboard. Most of the plastic chairs were lined against the walls except the ones the customers dragged around while waiting for their turn at the pool tables. The song that sounded through the speakers above the alcoholic drinks’ stand was Led Zeppelin’s Black Dog. All the billiard tables were occupied at the moment. It looked like the pub has gained more popularity than before: there were ten more pool tables than there were ten years ago. 

  Julia immediately recognized the owner, Chris Atkins, Wizzle. Wearing an apron bearing the words Beer is Man’s Best Friend, he was filling cups with homemade foaming cold beer at the counter. Julia approached the counter and ordered a cup, hoping it would help her forget her troubles with Mark. 

  Wizzle filled her a cup, taking a closer look at her. Noticing this, she said, “Is there something wrong?”

  “I didn’t mean to stare, I’m sorry,” he said, lines of strain on his forehead, “But there is something familiar about you. Have I seen you before?”

  Julia smiled, recalling all the good times she had had here. Since then Wizzle has gone almost entirely bold, but he was still good-looking with smiling black eyes. “I grew up here. Randell High-School, Miss Mitsy’s class.”

  “Can you give me another clue? I’m sure I’ve seen this smile before.”

  “Charming as always. I’ll save you the trouble. I’m Julia, remember?”

  “Julia Hudson or Julia Clark?” he inquired.

  “Julia Clark.”

  He raised one brow. “You changed.”

  “Yes, I live in New York now.”

  A couple that sat to her left turned their attention to Julia and Wizzle. The woman was a brunette with curly, shoulder-length hair and black eyes. The man also had black hair but his was straight and short.

  “Memories…” Wizzle explained to the couple. He turned back to Julia, “So what brings you to town?”

  “My father’s anniversary.”

  “Ah, of course. The whole town knows. By the way, there are rumors that you and Mark Spencer are–”

  Towns…Julia sighed. Rumors in a town spread faster than lightning. But that’s not what made Julia mad, it was the fact that Mark had already spread false rumors about them being involved. Even when she wanted to forget him for a moment she had no chance.

  “It’s not true. Mark was just fooling around.” She reminded herself to kill Mark.

  At that moment there was a loud screech at the door. Julia turned to see what was going on there: two young men with Giants caps were greeting everybody. They looked vaguely familiar, but her memory seemed to be dozing off at the moment. Shaking it off, she turned her attention to her beer, when she felt somebody standing behind her back.

  “Wizzle, would you mind wetting two thirsty mouths?” a deep male voice said behind her. ‘Oh my God, it’s Tom,’ Julia suddenly remembered. It had been his and Ray’s usual way to greet Wizzle when they were in high-school in Bill’s class.

  “What light breaks through yonder window?” Tom whispered in Julia’s ear. “It’s the east, and Juliet is the sun.”

  “Tom, don’t start with me,” she warned. He had a crush on her during his 12th grade when she was in 11th grade. She remembered only too well how he walked through the rain one Friday night with a dozen red roses to ask her out.

  “And I will finish it,” the other young man said.

  Julia finally recognized the other man – Ray Johnson, Bill’s best friend from high school. Ray still had a mop of light brown hair, only it didn’t pass the neckline. Tom, on the other hand, was barely recognizable: the freckles were gone as well the thick glasses that hid his honey colored eyes, and his brown hair was thrown back away from his face with tons of gel. The boy has definitely turned from a geek to a hunk.

  Julia stared at Tom. “You look great! What happened to your freckles?”

  “Gone,” he said proudly.

  “And the glasses?”

  “I got lenses.”

  “Wow! Have I mentioned that you look great?”

  “Twice.” He raised his cup. “A toast to this meeting.”

  He, Ray and Julia drank half of their beer in one gulp.

  “Guys, how did you know I was here?” Julia said.

  “Bill said you might be here,” Tom explained. “And while we’re here, let’s play pool.”

  “I think I remember how to do it,” she said.

  “Julia, we play men’s pool, not chicks’ pool,” teased Ray.

  “Oh, really? Let’s make it interesting, then: the loser buys the winner a beer.”

  “You’re on.”

  Laughing, they mingled in the crowd of pool players. Julia and Tom played against Ray Johnson.
*


“Cheers!” The guests in Douglass Clark’s birthday party drank the champagne from crystal glasses.

  “Happy birthday, honey,” said his wife Emily, giving him a little wrapped box. He opened it to find a fine silver watch. He kissed his wife.

  “It’s not Rolex, is it?” Mr. Rodgers said.

  “No, but it was expensive,” Emily said.

  Doug clicked his glass with a fork. “I'd like to propose a toast. When a man nears his 60s he starts thinking about his life, the ups and downs. And the more thinking I’ve done the more I realized that I was very lucky indeed to have been loved for 20 years by a wonderful woman like my Emily.”

  The crowded, bright living room went Ohhhhh.

  Doug inserted a George Michael CD into the system, put on Careless Whispers and led his wife, who was wearing a green cocktail dress with puffed sleeves, to the little space that was left for dancing. Douglass’ eyes shone with all the love and respect he had for Emily. Mrs. Rodgers and a few more elderly neighbors dabbed their eyes with handkerchiefs.

  “This is so romantic,” Mrs. Spencer, wearing her auburn hair high and a pink dress with a belt embracing her thin waist, said between sobs. “I’m so happy for your parents,” she turned to Bill and Julia.

  “Thank you,” Julia said. ‘Will I have such a marriage, too,’ she thought jealously.

  From the corner of her eye she saw Mark return. He looked so handsome with his golden hair and in a tuxedo, and she was a woman. ‘And a single one, too,’ she thought miserably.

  At that moment Tom approached her with a smooth cat’s stride. He offered a rose and smiling heartbreakingly said, “May I have this dance?”

  “Yes, you may,” she said glancing at Mark. He looked mad, her heart danced triumphantly.

  Tom slid a hand around her waist and moved slowly. His eyes said it all: they were dark with lust. He said, “Julia, you look amazing tonight.”

  “I should. I wasted 20 minutes on my hair and another 20 minutes on my dress,” she joked.

  They laughed.

  “You still make me laugh,” he said. “I love it when you wear red.”

  When the song was over Julia poured herself some more champagne and went out to the porch, just in time to glimpse Bill trying to impress Lisa Croford, the 23-years-old blonde neighbor. Tom followed her outside, hoping to be alone with her, but there was already somebody else on the porch.

  “Mark, why are you here? It’s cold outside,” Julia said.

  “I love the snow,” he said.

  Tom saw Mark looking intensely at Julia and knew that he had to make the move now. He grabbed her delicate hand, which was wrapped in fine red silk, and pulled her to him. Julia feared what was going to happen next. “Julia, I’ve never stopped loving you. I’ve been working on my moves while you were gone, and I think we are right for each other. I know you’re not engaged, and if you give me a second chance I’ll be the happiest man on earth.” And without a warning he pressed his lips against hers.

  Julia was so astonished she couldn’t speak. “But I thought you were over me, Tom.”

  “Obviously not,” Mark put in. He pulled Julia away from his opponent. “Julia doesn’t want you back. She’s mine.”

  “Boys, stop it!” Julia said. “You’re making fools of yourselves.”

  “Julia, go out to dinner with me tomorrow night,” Tom said.

  “She doesn’t want to,” Mark said.

  “Who are you to answer in my name?” Julia turned angrily to Mark.

  “You’re going out with me tomorrow night,” Mark said firmly.

  “And why should I do it?” she said reproachfully.

  “Because I’m right for you, not this country boy.” And he kissed her on the lips, too. At first the kiss was hard, but then he moved his lips gently, slowly, making her melt in his arms. It didn’t escape Tom’s attention. The latter grabbed Julia.

  Tom said, “Julia, I just want one chance to prove you that I’m going to treat you right.”

  “Julia, you don’t believe his lying lips, do you?” Mark said.

  Looking from one to the other she said, “You know what, Tom, I think it’s a great idea. Pick me up at seven.”

  Tom smiled triumphantly and holding his date tight around the shoulders, led her back to the house, leaving Mark angrier than ever.
*


Tom couldn’t believe his luck: he was sitting at the Mystery Manor restaurant on Bleeker Street looking into the eyes of the most beautiful woman in the world.

  Tom raised his glass of red wine. “Here’s to us.”

  Julia clicked her glass against his but didn’t drink.

  “Julia, is everything alright? You look like your head is somewhere else.”

  Julia heard him through a thick fog of confusion. She raised her eyes. “I’m sorry. Where were we?”

  “I was telling you about my degree.”

  “Oh, right. You said you were a lawyer, didn’t you?”

  “No, I’m an engineer. Julia, what is with you today?”

  Julia realized that she’d been holding her full wine glass. She put down the glass, avoiding Tom’s eyes. Once again she disappointed him. “Tom, I’m so sorry. I don’t know what’s gotten into me lately. You don’t deserve to be treated this way.”

  Tom pulled her chin up forcing her to look into his eyes. “You know, I’ve been waiting so long for you to finally notice me, but I guess I’m just not the man for you. Why don’t we call it a night and I will drive you home?”

  Julia stared. “Tom, you’re letting me off the hook so easily? I would understand if you scream or drink yourself to unconsciousness, but this?”

  Tom explained, “Julia, I’m not the guy I was, and tonight I realized that we will never be together. But I’d like you to be my friend – if that’s alright with you.”

  She smiled weakly. “Thank you. I’ll always be your friend whenever you need me.”

  Tom helped her put on her white cashmere coat and drove her home, not noticing a man’s silhouette behind them.

  When Tom pulled up in front of the Clarks’ cottage it was only ten p.m. The lights in the living room were still on. Tom and Julia entered the house together. Bill and his parents were watching the late night news.

  “Hey, why are you so early?” Bill said.

  Tom dropped into the empty armchair. “We decided to call it a night.”

  “Guys,” Julia began hesitantly, “I don’t know if you know it but I’m not engaged to be married.”

  “We know,” Mr. Clark said. “And we also know about Mark.”

  “How did you find out?”

  “Remember the other night when we saw Mark? It was at Sizzle at Wizzle’s, and he was drunk. We went to scold at him for drinking so much, and he said very interesting things about your recent adventures.”

  Julia tried to hide her annoyance. “What did he tell you?”

  Mrs. Clark said, “I don’t think he even remembers that night – he was very drunk. He told us about the project he was doing with your boss and about seeing you work there. He asked you out to dinner and you turned him down, so he drove over to your fiance’s place and told him that you two were dating while being engaged to be married–”

  “So that’s what he told Paul? I’ll kill him!” Julia interrupted.

  “Julia, let me finish. Then he let slip the fact that seeing you again made him realize that he loved you.”

  “If he truly loved, he would have just told me.”

  “Sweetheart, have I told you how I met your daddy?”

  Bill and Julia shook their heads.

  Emily said, “I met your father in high school – he was the lead player in the school baseball team. Every other week he had a different date. I was one of those geeks that spent hours studying. On Valentine’s Day in 11th grade your father took me to the school dance and then we continued dating for a month. It was perfect…until I found out that he was dared to date me and then dump me. I started a rumor at school that your father was a virgin–” Everybody except Emily and Doug stared open mouthed. “–and thought it would make him leave me alone, as I couldn’t break up with him. I didn’t know why but I just couldn’t leave him myself. I treated him coldly, even after he came back every Friday to make up for what he did. He asked for a second chance, but I refused him. And the rumor didn’t even bother him.

  “One Friday night he gave up and didn’t come over to ask me out. It was the biggest disappointment of my life, and I was furious at myself for wanting him back at my doorstep. That night I called my best friend, Mrs. Smith from up the hill, and we went out to Snaz Club that night. I needed to do something to stop being angry at him. And there he was in that club kissing Angie Warshot that was a cheerleader at the time. I began a hysterical fight that night. We screamed at each other, and while I was pouring all my venom at him he kissed me.” Emily and her husband joined hands. “It was the sweetest thing I’ve ever felt. We were girlfriend and boyfriend again, but what I fully understood that night was the fact that I was in love with your father. And look where it got me.”

  Changing the subject reluctantly Julia said, “What are you trying to say about my life?”

  “Julia, you’re angry at Mark because you love him and you don’t want to be. I know what it feels like.”

  “Can you just leave me alone?” She stormed up to her room.

  Mr. Clark said, “I bet 5 bucks that she and Mark will end up together in a week.”

  “I call your 5 bucks and raise 5 that Julia will call Mark first,” Bill said.

  “I call.”
*


The telephone in Anna Ridley’s flat rang. Reluctantly she got up from the sofa where she and John were cuddling.

  “Hi, Anna,” said a woman’s voice on the other end.

  Anna recognized her best friend’s voice. “Hey, Julia, how are you? Are you back in New York?”

  “Yes, I am. Anna, the most terrible thing happened: Mark was in Vanderbilt.”

  Anna completely forgot about her boyfriend. “Tell me all about it.”

  “Okay, but I’m warning you: not a word about it in the office.” Anna and Julia worked in the same company.

  “I swear,” Anna said burning to hear the details. “I’m all ears.”

  “Can you come down to Coffee Magic now?” Coffee Magic was a café down the street from Anna’s building.

  “No, John’s here. But I can talk; he’s gone to make himself coffee.”

  “Alright. So I got to my folks’ place and we had tea and cookies…” Julia talked for half an hour before she finished her story. She waited anxiously for her friend’s reaction.

  “Julia, this is so romantic,” Anna said. “Have you told him that you love him?”

  “No, and I’m not intending to in the near future.”

  “You’re going to let him go free? Don’t waste your chance. What if this relationship works?”

  “I don’t know. You think I should give him a chance?”

  “Jul, you never know until you try. Look at me and John – we’re so different, but it works.” John had just snuck behind Anna and began drawing a trail from her brown hair to her back in massage movements. “John, stop it. I can’t concentrate on anything when you do it.” She turned her attention to the telephone. “Jul, the guy is in love with you. You should at least go on a date with him.”

  There was silence on the other end, although the connection was not broken. Finally Julia said, “I’ll sleep on it. I’ll see you at the office tomorrow. Thanks.”

  “Your welcome. Until tomorrow.” Anna hung up and closed her eyes enjoying John’s special backrub.

  On the following morning at eight o’clock Anna barged into Mr. Harold Goodman’s secretary’s office on the sixth floor, where Julia Clark has been working for the last 6 years.

  “Good morning, Jul,” she said, parading the shiny floors with her new cream colored boots.

  “Hey, Anna,” said Julia coming out of the fax machine corner room. She eyed the knee-long caramel dress with the long sleeves and whistled teasingly. “That dress is amazing.”

  “Thank you. It was a gift from John. And guess where the dress comes from.” Not waiting for an answer she said, “Italy.”

  “Very nice. So he’s serious about you.”

  “Alright, enough about me. What did you decide to do with–” At that moment her object of interest walked into the office with Harold Goodman. Mark was especially handsome in a black suit that morning.

  “Good morning, ladies,” Mr. Goodman said, looking a little grumpy.

  “Good morning, sir,” Julia said briskly. “I’ve already sent the fax to Mr. Mason as you requested.”

  “Thank you. I must have a word with Mr. Spencer here, and then I will call you in.” The men disappeared in the Mr. Goodman’s office.

  “Julia,” Anna said, “Did you see the expression on Mark’s face?”

  “I saw it,” Julia said gloomily. “I slept on it last night.”

  “And?”

  “I’ll tell you all about it no sooner than Sunday.”

  “So now it’s a secret? Jul, I’m your best friend, you can trust me.”

  “I know I can, but there’s something I have to do before I tell you about my plans.” She hugged Anna. “Now go to your office.”

  Laughing out loud Anna left Julia to her daily chores.

  At five thirty Julia’s day at work was over. Instead of heading home to her apartment she followed the direction her instinct was telling her. She could hear Father John’s words before he even said them when he saw her enter the empty church: I knew you’d be back.

  Julia said, “Father, I came to tell you one thing.” Father John already knew what she was going to say before she said it. “You were right.”

  “Thank you. I usually am, but I must not say it: I am a humble person.”

  “You priests all are. Good evening, Father.” And she went home.
*

A man’s fate is in his hands, as Mark Spencer always said. But lately he seriously doubted his theory. He thought he could have a future with Julia, but apparently she wasn’t as interested as he was. And he didn’t think meeting her that Sunday morning in the central park was a good idea either. Exactly why she had asked him to meet her there was a great mystery to him and also a tempting offer. He was furious at himself for wishing that Sunday could come faster, but he couldn’t help it. When the alarm clock on his bedside table finally rang at eight o’clock Sunday morning he knew that today he’d finally find out whether he and Julia had any future together. He wasn’t intending to go that meeting but found himself putting on his jeans, green sweater, coat and loafers. Well, if he was going to that meeting anyway he’d better make it look like he didn’t really care what she had to say to him. He combed his hair hastily and hurried to central park where Julia would be waiting for him at nine o’clock. In truth he needed only half an hour to get there, but he felt he needed to calm his pounding heart before he saw her.

  Julia reached the park only at five minutes to nine. She walked back and forth in the snow-swept trail between white trees and frozen benches counting down the minutes, wondering if Mark was going to show up…She looked for a sign of him everywhere, but the minutes ticked away, and when her watch showed it was nine there was still no sign of Mark. Her heart skipped a beat. What if he wasn’t coming? She wouldn’t be surprised if he stood up: she screwed up what he was trying to build with her.

  Julia waited anxiously five more minutes, but he didn’t come. Abandoning all hope for seeing his handsome face she turned on her heels and was about to leave, when she saw a figure walking towards her down the trail. She unconsciously smiled. How come she’s never realized that she loved this man? She began making her way towards him on her heels among the soft snow resting on the ground, his figure closer with each second. Finally they stood an inch from each other.

  “You came,” Julia said peering into his eyes. Either Mark’s ears were misleading him or she was glad to see him.

  “Julia, what do you want?” he said coldly. She hated the frost in his tone.

  “I just want to say that it wouldn’t have worked out between Paul and me anyway.”

  “Of course it would’ve. You’re the perfect couple,” he said sarcastically. He couldn’t help noticing that she looked extremely elegant today. Her perfume made him remember his dream of making love to her to the sound of rain. He wondered what her skin would feel like against his. 

  “You’re wrong.” She tried to find the right words to make him understand how she really felt about him, when he glanced at his watch.

  “You know what, I’m late,” he said, “I have a date.”

  Julia knew that it now or never. She must do it. “Mark, wait. I know I shouldn’t have treated you the way I did. I’m sorry. And I know why I treated you the way I did: I was afraid of caring about you. I mean, I was engaged and everything was alright, and then you came…and I wasn’t planning on falling in love with you. I tried to ignore it by pushing you away, and when it didn’t work I gave up. The truth is: I didn’t like being in love with you while I was going to get married with Paul.” Mark didn’t see it coming. He was waiting for anything but this confession. There must be a trap behind it.

  “Now I feel foolish. Please, say something,” Julia pleaded.

  “Where is the trick?” he said.

  “There is no trick. I know you love me: my parents heard you at Wizzle’s pub when you were drinking to death.”

  Now he knew he wasn’t dreaming. His heart was pounding in his chest, and he had trouble breathing evenly. He thought he’d die of joy.

  “There is only one way to find out what to do with it,” he said.

  Mark held her chin while lowering his face to hers. The moment his lips touched hers an electric sensation paralyzed his entire body. Her lips were warm and soft, just like he imagined it.

  Julia’s eyes saw only him despite the passing people hurrying to their warm flats. She was craving to taste his lips again.

  “Well?” she said.

  “Why don’t we discuss it over dinner tonight? We have a lot to talk about.”

  “It’s a date.” She laid a long slow kiss on him, while he joined the dance. 

- The End -







 

 
 
 


     
© Copyright 2011 Allyann (allyann at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1812199-Home-Again