*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1813126-World-Around-Us
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Thriller/Suspense · #1813126
This is the story of Anna Lee Hunter who's in love with her brother's killer.
The alarm clock rang.
I didn’t bother to turn it off so it kept ringing. An annoying sound filled the room but I still didn’t want to turn it off. I was too tired to move my arm.
“Anna, dear, it’s time to wake up.” My mother, Amanda Hunter, said while entering my room and turning off the alarm clock. I didn’t say a thing. “Anna Lee Hunter, get up!”
“Five more minutes.” I put my head under my pillow trying to go back to sleep but she uncovered me. I felt the cold morning air touch my skin and a chill ran down my spine. “Alright, I’m up!” I got up with an angry look on my face and I went to the bathroom to take a shower. Fifteen minutes later I got out and I got back to my bedroom to get ready. I opened my closet and looked at my clothes. I didn’t know what to wear. It was my first day of school so I just grabbed a pair of grey skinny jeans and a Rolling Stones top. I put on my black Dr Martens and got closer to the mirror to see my reflection. My face was terrible, I seemed like I hadn’t slept for weeks. My pale green eyes showed two big dark circles around them and my skin was too white so I decided to put some make up on to cover my bad look. My dark brown hair was kind of messy so I straightened it and put some hairspray. I was finally ready. I picked up my bag and went downstairs where my family was having breakfast.
“Good morning.” I said sitting down and grabbing a toast. I was particularly hungry that day. I ate the toast with butter and I drank a glass of orange juice.
“Good morning, angel.” Howard Hunter, also known as my dad, look at me above his newspaper with a smile on his face. “Are you excited about today?”
“Yeah, sure.” I wasn’t that excited. I’d rather stay home and sleep the whole day but I couldn’t. My father continued to read. I looked around and saw my mom getting up and starting to clean something the kitchen so she could go to work. “Kenneth, could you give me a ride to school?” I asked my brother.
“Why?”
“I’m tired. Could you please do that for me?” He nodded and got up. “Bye mom, bye dad.” I followed him to the car.
“Rough night, huh?” Kenneth chuckled. I rolled my eyes as I sat in the car. My brother loved to make fun of me when I got drunk. But he was right, the night before had been particularly rough. You see, I caught my boyfriend cheating on me with the biggest slut in school. A bitch called Brittany or something like that. I don’t even remember her name. So my best friend Summer dragged me to her house and invited some friends over. We drank… and drank… and drank… and finally ended the night drunk. I don’t even know how I got home I just have some flashes on my head of Kenneth opening the door and starting to laugh at my ridiculous look. I was completely wasted and half asleep. I suppose he took me to my bedroom and made me put my PJ’s on. “So, what happened for you to get home so drunk?”
“That fucking bastard cheated on me.” His face turned into an angry expression. My brother was very protective and I have to admit I liked that in him. He wasn’t overprotective so I knew when I had a problem I could talk to him about anything. “But you know what? I don’t care. That only made me see what kind of person he is so he deserves to be with that slut. I’m better off without him.”
“I never trusted that guy.” He said with his voice full of contempt. We got to school and I got out of the car telling him goodbye before closing the door. I entered the school and saw Summer looking at me with the biggest smile on her face.
“Anna!” She ran up to me smiling and screaming happy. I put my hands on my ears covering them. I was still affected from last night. “Did you sleep well?” She asked me laughing. I rolled my eyes.
“Shut up.” She laughed even more. “Where are the guys?” I looked around trying to find our friends. Summer shrugged while she tied her curly black hair into a ponytail.
“I think they’re with the new guy, or whatever.” I frowned.
“New guy?”
“Yeah, he was transferred. Apparently he got expelled from his school because he put a guy in the hospital or something. I don’t know. He sure seems dangerous, though.” I got curious about the new guy but I quickly forgot about him when I saw Josh, my ex-boyfriend, coming in my direction.
“Hey, Anna.” He told me smiling. His big blue eyes were staring at me like he was about to eat me or something. He had this playful smile on his face so I automatically knew he wasn’t sorry for cheating on me. Oh well, I wouldn’t forgive him anyway.
“What the fuck do you want, Josh?” I wasn’t in the mood to be kind or anything. I mean, he cheated on me. So I just stand there looking at him with the most annoyed expression ever.
“I miss you, baby.” He got closer to me and gently rubbed my arm. I gave a step back; I didn’t want to be close to him.
“Don’t call me baby, you lost that right the moment you cheated on me with that slut. Oh and by the way, why aren’t you with her? She dumped you? Poor Josh. She dumped you and now you came back to me because your little play toy doesn’t want you anymore, but guess what? I don’t want you either so get lost and don’t ever speak to me again!” I walked away leaving him there surprised with my reaction. I didn’t care about him. I just wanted to live my life without worries.
“Wow that was awesome!” Summer told me clearly excited with what I said to Josh. She laughed and clapped happily. “You should have seen the look on his face when you turned your back at him. Hilarious!” I smiled and kept walking trying to find our friends. They seemed to be gone to a different dimension! And then I saw Ian and the rest of the group at the backyard laughing at something. He ran his and trough his short black hair like he was embarrassed or something.
“Hey, Ian!” I yelled trying to get his attention. He looked at me and waved smiling. By his side were all our friends laughing and talking with a guy I had never seen before.
“What’s up Anna?” Ian hugged me and then looked at the new guy. “This is Nathan, he’s new here.” Nathan was looking at me through is big dark green eyes without smiling. His dark brown hair fell on his forehead in a sexy and mysterious way. He seemed a bit older than us, but maybe it was just my imagination tricking me. He had this arrogant expression on his face that made me dislike him. I didn’t like when people were arrogant even though he hadn’t said a thing.  I told him hello and then jumped to Oliver’s back.
“Hi Oliver!” I yelled at his ear happy. Oliver was my best friend. Well, best guy friend. He had brown hair that almost reached his shoulders. He had beautiful brown eyes that always made me blush when he looked at me analyzing my face. Oli always did that, he said he didn’t want to forget my face if we ever were to separate ways.
“Hey Annie.” He put me down and hugged me. “How’s my girl today?” I sat on recently cut grass and looked at him.
“Awesome as always.” I laughed and pulled him making him sit by my side. “He tried to get back at me today but I didn’t let him. I don’t even know why I was his girlfriend in the first place. He was a complete ass.”
“You’re better off without him.” Oliver said hugging me.
“Yeah, now we can get married.” We laughed. You see, a few years ago Oli and I promised each other to get married if none of us found the true love. Of course we didn’t know what we were saying back then, we were only seven years old but we kept that promise just to remind us that we were always going to be there for each other, no matter what. “And our babies will be so cute!” I yelled the last part excited about the idea of us having kids. What? We were hot so our kids would definitely be hot as well!
“So, Anna how did you get home last night?” Ian asked me laughing. Everyone looked at me with funny expressions.
“Yeah, you were pretty messed up last night!” Alex showed up on my side also laughing. I punched him in the arm. “Hey! I’m sorry, I’m sorry!” He rubbed his arm where I had punched him.
“I don’t want to talk about last night.” I hid my face in Oliver’s neck. “A little help in here?” I begged him with a muffled voice. As I finished the sentence the school bell rang.
“Saved by the bell.” He chuckled. Oli got up and then pulled me making me get up. “Let’s go, chubby.”
“Chubby? How dare you?!” I pretended to be mad at Oliver and walked away he ran up to me and grabbed my arm making me turn around to face him. He smiled showing his perfectly white teeth.”No, no. Don’t make that face! I’m not going to fall for that.” Then he kissed me on the cheek.
“I love you, Anna.” I couldn’t help but smile and hug him. “And you’re not chubby, you know it.”
“I know. I have a supermodel body, hell yeah!” We both laughed and kept walking to our class. Our first class was English and apparently we had a new teacher. We sat at the end of the room on the last seats next to Summer and Alex. Ian and our other two friends, Andrew and Zack had Arts instead.
“I wonder who our new English teacher is.” Alex spoke has he pretended to play drums on the table.
“He’s probably just an old fat dude.” Oli didn’t show much interest in knowing who it would be so he just put his earphones on and started to listen to Slipknot. We waited about ten minutes until the principal walked in.
“Alright people, you all know there’s a new English teacher in our school. I want to you welcome Mr. Winters and to show him our school spirit in the best way you can. Now, behave and have a good class.” He left and seconds later our new teacher walked into the class. I couldn’t believe who it was.
“Good morning class. I’m Mr. Winters and I’m going to be your new English teacher.” Nathan smiled politely as he presented himself to the class. For the first time on that day I noticed he was wearing a black shirt with the sleeves pulled back and a pair of jeans of the same color. He didn’t seem like a teacher at all. I wonder what he was doing with my friends earlier if he knew he was going to teach us.
“Why didn’t you tell me he was our English teacher?” I looked at Oliver who was also in shock. He looked like he didn’t know too.
“I didn’t know.”
“Well, I didn’t see that coming.” Alex chuckled. He had to be the one to laugh at that situation. I shook my head and put my earphones on. I didn’t want to pay attention at all. Nathan was a liar so he didn’t deserve my eyes and ears on him. Besides, I was too tired from the night before. I rested my head on my arms which were folded on the table and fell asleep listening to Ronnie Radke’s sexy voice. I loved that guy.
I woke up with someone poking me.
“Dude, what the hell?!” I yelled annoyed. I hated when people woke up me poking me. I looked up and Oliver was standing in front of my laughing. “Go to hell, Oli.” I must had slept during the whole class because when I looked around the room was almost empty. Only me, Oliver, Alex and Nathan were still in there. I got up and grabbed my bag.
“Let’s go talk to him.” Alex suggested. We all walked in our new teacher’s direction. “Well hello Nathan, or should I say Mr. Winters?” Mr. Winters aka Nathan looked at us serious. “Why didn’t you tell us you were a teacher?”
“Look guys, I’m sorry. Ian noticed I was a bit lost so he helped me. He thought I was a e new student so he showed me around. We were talking about cool stuff and I was enjoying that time so much that I forgot to tell him I was new here as a teacher.” Well, that was a pretty lame excuse, but if he didn’t want to tell the truth who were we to make him do the opposite?
I shrugged and walked away from the class going to meet Summer. I found her in the backyards sitting under the further away from the school building. She was smoking and drinking something from a bottle of juice. For the color I assumed it was everything but juice. Ian, Zack, Andrew and his girlfriend Vicky were next to her. Vicky didn’t use to hang out with us a lot, she was a cheerleader. Surprisingly she was the only cheerleader we liked in that school. She didn’t thought about makeup and boys all the time. Vicky was the complete opposite of a cheerleader. She had black long hair and light blue eyes. Unlike the others she just wanted to have some fun as a normal teenager. I don’t even know why she was on the cheering squad but to be honest I didn’t care. She was alright and it was all that mattered to me.
“Hi guys.” I spoke practically throwing myself to the ground. I was too tired. Everyone looked at me for a few seconds and then they all started to speak random things with each other. I didn’t even bothered trying to know what they were talking about. I just wanted to sleep.
I felt someone lying down next to me and I opened my eyes to see who it was. Oliver.
“Let me guess, you want to skip the next class?” I nodded getting closer to him and resting my head on his chest. “Do you want me to stay with you?”
“Please.” I whispered almost falling asleep as I felt him rubbing my cold arm. We stayed there several minutes until the bell rang. Our friends walked away heading to classes but before Summer left I made sure she left the bottle of vodka she was drinking before.
Oli got up and grabbed the bottle drinking some. Then he gave me the bottle and I took a quick sip. I was still thinking about Nathan. Why had he lied to us and pretended to be a student?
“You know Oli, I don’t trust Nathan.” I stated resting my head on Oliver’s shoulder. We were sitting leaning against the tree.
“Why?”
“I don’t know. I just don’t trust him and I feel like his going to bring trouble into our school.” My best friend looked at me and chuckled.
“You don’t even know the guy and you’re already saying that.”
“Well, he did lie to us, and that makes me not wanting to trust him. Besides he has this mysterious look on his face. I don’t know, I just don’t trust him and don’t like him. And sooner or later you’ll realize I’m right.” I drank more vodka and closed my eyes trying to get my thoughts away from Nathan or as he formally introduced himself to us: Mr. Winters. “Are you coming to my parent’s dinner tonight?” It was my parent’s anniversary so my mother had invited Oliver to have dinner in our house. She liked Oliver a lot and she was always saying we would end up together. We always laughed when she said it because even though we had strong feelings for each other we were only friends. And we cared about each other like brother and sister.
“Yeah, I can’t wait to hear your mother saying she would love me to be your boyfriend.” We laughed. “It will be fun.” We stayed there talking about random things and when the bell rang it was time to lunch. We didn’t want to go the afternoon classes so we just went to my house and spent the day watching movies in my bedroom and throwing popcorn at each other. Yeah, I loved those moments with Oliver. They really made my day. We ended up falling asleep on my bed until my mother came to call us for dinner. Everyone was having a great time and no one suspected that would change our lives forever.
© Copyright 2011 Hailey Porter Wyght (annam at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1813126-World-Around-Us