*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1820834-Arthurs-tail-ch-9
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by tara
Rated: E · Chapter · Drama · #1820834
Arthur goes home and treys to get his life back into some kind of order.
Ch. 9


         It’s a bright worm sunny day and the birds are singing and Arthur being in a good mood decides to walk most of the way. Walking past some houses he smiles at the kids playing in the yards and the few dogs that he hears barking. When he reaches the ranch, he nodes to the guards hidden from all others view and opens the huge iron gate. Walking in he shuts and locks it behind him then stops for a few minuets at the top of the driveway just standing there as he looks out over it all thinking,          
         This place hasn’t changed much since my first visit here, at least this time, I am not wounded.
         The place is huge; there are fields of green grass with over a dozen of the finest Elvin horses you have ever seen.  He walks down the long driveway there are beautiful shade trees lining both sides of it. The huge house is an old ranch house that has been restored back to its original glamor. There are 4 rocking chairs all white with matching stands between them set around the huge wrap around porch. The guest house is a three bedroom, one story house with a nice front porch that has a swing. Alice and Billy are there waiting for Arthur, as he approaches, they run to him with Billy shouting.
         “Daddy!”
         They all meet half way as they embrace each other in a huge family hug. That night they celebrate Arthur coming home. The next day Arthur goes to see Lanis.
         Arriving at the house Arthur knocks on the door and Lanis opens it wide saying, “hi brother, it is so good to see you again”
         They shake hands and Arthur answers. “it is good to see you to brother.”
         Lanis looking Arthur up and down, “Wow you do look pale; maybe some sun will do you some good.”
         “I am afraid no amount of sun will help me.” Arthur answers and they both chuckle.
         Lanis smiling and gesturing for Arthur to come in says, “Yeah, I guise your right,  come on in, how is life as a vamp going?”
         Arthur does so and they walk through the mud room and into the huge living room where they both take a seat in their reclining chairs facing each other. There are 4 of these chairs. Two are forest green and two are tan and there’s a huge L shaped couch that is multicolored making it all come together nicely. The house is all decorated with many dragon pictures and statues along with some of Lanis’s medals that he had earned from their travels and quests. Arthur seeing all of this is only reminded of all the things him and his men have been through together. Not all of them were bad and not all of them were good but with them gone it all seems painful and so he answers, “I have been fine. If you would not mind I would like to walk around a bit, I have been stuck in to long.” 
         “Not a problem.” Lanis answers as they both stand up and head out the back door.
         Walking toward the barn Arthur says “I still feel like myself and have not changed that much, my powers and talents are stronger. I can be out in the sun, eat food with blood in it, and do not get cravings for people blood. Technically I am braking a decree, that is what vampires call their laws. As I was saying, technically I am breaking a big one by telling you all of this, so try to keep this between you and me as much as possible.”
         They walk through the stables petting the horses there and giving them each an apple. Arthur continues, “There are a few mind readers amongst us and I suspect some vampires are keeping their eyes on all of us. They know a lot about us and have been watching me for a long time before this happened.”
         Walking out of the barn they head to the field of yearlings as Arthur says, “Though I do not think they know about our brothers or sisters. Now how have you been doing?”
         Lanis smiling answers, “Do not worry I will not tell anyone and will guard my thoughts. I am doing well too. I have been working around the ranch and recovering. We have six new yearlings I am braking in. You know nothing to big; I am also working as a lead scientist for the Science of the magical world.”
         As they lean against the wooden fence, petting the horses, Lanis says “They are an organization of humans that study magical things.”
         Arthur a bit curious about this information asks. “How did you manage that one?”
         Heading to the next field of horses Lanis answers,          “You know that I was the head of my class in college where I studded science of magic.”
         Arthur smiling at the memory of the first time he met Lanis and seen his award answers, “Yes, I remember seeing your degree and you telling me.” 
         “After I recovered, I went to them and applied for a job. They knew who I was and eagerly gave me one. They are letting me set up my own team of scientists. Would you like to join us?”
         “I would love nothing better, as long as I am not the only genie pig.”
         They both laugh and Lanis answers, “Do not worry, we will use you only as a side genie pig, there are many other things we are investigating right now one of them may involve your people.”
         Arthur now on the alert answers, “What do you mean?”
         “I have requested a reservation for you all, this is what we have been talking about for years, this will be a place where your people can be free. You all will run it as you see fit without any interference as long as there are no slaves of any kind. You will also be able to come and go as you see fit. No one will be trapped there, You all would be in complete control of it. You can even get electricity and anything else you all want. The only thing is we need to find out how many want to do this so we will know how much land you will need.”
         Arthur excited by all of this answers, “That is great when can we begin all of this?”
         Lanis smiling now answers, “First thing tomorrow meet me here at the house and we will talk more about it all.”
         “OK I will be here, I have a lot of things to catch up on and I am going to discus some things that may be of interest to you with Brother Adolfo.”
         “Alright, we can take the truck.” Lanis replies and with that they go. 
         When they arrive at Adolfo’s forest, he is waiting for them at the edge of the tree line with his typical guards which are two powerfully built men flanking either side of him. not that he needs back up. I know this old wolf will he is more than capable of holding his own. Arthur thinks as he sees them, Adolfo looks exactly as you would expect a werewolf to look, very buff, with light brown eyes that almost appear golden at times, and black hair, but where most have dark skin, he has white. Arthur opens the door to get out and a strong odor hits him and over whelms him for a few minutes.
         Lanes just as shocked as Arthur asks, “What is wrong? Are you alright?”
         Adolfo finding this very funny can’t help but chuckle, saying through the laughter. “Give him a moment to adjust to his new senses.”
         After a short time Arthur gives a nod to Lanis and they get out. As they start to walk toward him Adolfo says, “I see you’re still breaking rules, young one. Do your new friends know you’re here?”
         Smiling, Arthur answers, “they will soon enough. I am not going to change my ways just because of what I have become.”
         They stop in front of Adolfo, who shakes his head thinking He is to much like his old man. with a chuckle answers, “That is what I thought.”
         They all shack hands saying, “It is nice to see you brother.”
         They head to the covered bridge and sit on the wooden benches that line both sides of it and Adolfo asks. “Arthur, Why did you request this meeting?”
         “As you can see I am now a vampire to make a long story short this happened after I killed Alberto.”
         “Yes, I have heard that and that his clan has a new leader.”
         “Yes and soon that will be me as I plan to take my rightful place among them however I need your help in locating them.”
         “You are aware that there are some humans missing from the next town over are you not?”
         “Yes, that is why we must hurry.”
         “We will help, my son Troy is already looking into it for us. Come let me walk you back to the truck.” placing an arm around Arthur’s shoulders he adds, “There is one good thing that came from this: I do not have to be so gentle on you now.”
         Arthur ducking under his arm trying to get him in a headlock instead answers, “Oh no you don’t.”
         Adolfo easily avoids Arthur’s attack flipping Arthur to the ground where they struggle through some friendly play before Adolfo manages to get Arthur in a headlock with that twist trick Arthur has yet to learn. Though this time he could see the move more clearly instead of in a bluer, Adolfo still won.
         “Now you smell good to me.”  Adolfo says with a smile as he ruffles Arthur’s hear,
         “Yah and to me I smell like wet dog,”          Arthur informs him with a smile.
         Adolfo having accomplished his goal of getting a read on all Arthur’s feelings and getting him to relax lets Arthur go. Adolfo then smiles saying, “Go see your friends but remember to come back to play some time.”
         Arthur easily slipping back into their old way of talking to each other answers, “I will show you how to play you old wolf.”
         Everyone chuckles and Lanis smiling says, “Come on young one we best be off, before your friends get too worried about you.”
         Arthur also smiling answers, “Yes child we best be going.”
         “you may want to wash a little before going back to them” 
         Adolfo adds more seriously and Arthur slyly answers, “I think I will wait for after I see them, this is better than I was hoping for. They will know for sure I was here.”
         chuckling and shaking his head Adolfo says, “OK young one it is your head, I know most vampires do not agree with your way of thinking but good luck and if this Carlo man agrees let him know I am willing too.”
         Arthur using a spill to remove the grace stands from his jeans and cloak, answers. “Yes, I will and just so you know this is a private affair.”
         Adolfo thinking, if you only know how true that was answers, “That is fine, we are glade to help.”
         “I will see you soon,”
         They all say as Lanis and Arthur leave.
         “I will need to go and talk to Carlo,” Arthur informs Lanis as they are driving back to the ranch.
         Lanis answers, “Do you want me to drop you off there?”
         “No that is fine. I will see you at six tonight for diner.”
         “Bye,” They both say and everything goes as planed from then on.                     
         Carlo agrees to have a treaty with Adolfo and does not have a problem with Arthur’s new job. They set up a time to meet at the ranch for the changes to the other treaties that will have to be made and for Carlo to meet Adolfo. With all done Arthur goes home. Once home he explains the days events to his wife Alice. The rest of that night goes as planned.

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

         Back at Erick’s he has received the news that Arthur has been spotted. He is alive and well. Alice is back at work and off limits as is her family so Erick’s superiors told him. Seems how Arthur is no longer a Gray, he and his family are no longer any concern of Erick’s. This upsets him for that means he can no longer knowingly send out people to bring any of them in and it ties his hands in many ways.
         Keenan who just got back from a board meeting that did not go exactly as he hoped. Sits at his desk wondering just what is going to happen and thinks, I remember when I first met Arthur; he was no more than 10 years old at the time. All 6 of the kids were half starved and were being trained and looked after by 4 humans. I was only a commander and we had been given the mission to rescue the children.
         I will never forget when that arrow with the note on it just showed up on the door to our governor’s house explaining about the kids that needed rescuing. We were thought to be one of the best troops so we were chosen for the mission. We were fully papered for a battle and planed on attacking the cabin where the humans were holding the kids. We were all shocked when we were mid way there, marching through the woods and spotted the kids. They stopped and looked at us and they all seemed papered to fight us. One of them stepped in front of the others with the only girl, a little red head right behind him. He looked at us razed his hand and a fire ball appeared in it. In a voice of total authority he said “if you wish to die then come closer other wise stay put.” We were all shocked as this boy held his ground against our group of over 20 soldiers’ with not a lick of fear in his cat like eyes or voice. I looked at him, not really sure what to say or do, I signaled my men to back off and got down on my knees saying “you all will be safe with us we will not hurt any of you.” After looking into my eye’s for a moment he let the spell go and looking at the others said “you will be safe with them.” The others headed toward us and suddenly the humans came running out of the woods behind the kids. Again the boy turned to face the new threat once again putting the others behind him. Looking at them he said “leave us now or face your death.” The humans looked in shock at the boy saying “It is alright Arthur we are not mad at you. We are your friends.” The boy sent a fire ball at them and they lift the same way they came. Then the boy turned to the little girl kissing her on the cheek he said “I will find you again Alice, you must go with them. They will not hurt you. I must go back.” The little girl clung to him saying “do not leave me Arthur, I am scared of them. You can’t do it alone and they can help, please stay with me.” At this I calmly said “We will all go back and save them but first we must plan. Come with us and we will help all of you.” Hand in hand they walked to me and Arthur with strong authority said “I will come back with or with out help.” I told him I understood and that we would prepare for the fight, that there was much to be done. With that they came with us. None of them wanted us to close to them and they stayed as close to each other as they could. After that it was near imposable to keep Arthur and Alice apart even with them at different places. Even at that age he was stubborn and determined to do things his own way. Soon I learned how to get Arthur to cooperate by using Alice as an award. I got permission to offer the wizards a piece treaty and we set it up. Then I set up visits for Arthur to see Alice at the orphanage were she had been sent, as she was a witch. We did go back and rescue all the children from the White Coats. Yes, I remember while when we decided to call all the kids Grays and how hard I had worked with Arthur. Others worked on all the other boys and girls turning them into the perfect warriors for our government. It wasn’t like we did that to them, but why not take advantage of the situation. I had worked hard on gaining Arthur’s trust and making him into the perfect soldier. Yes, Arthur is the perfect warrior in all ways, never showing fear and always accomplishing his tasks. I had convinced Arthur it was in everyone’s best interest for them not to have the same freedoms everyone else has. They were designed to be true killing machines Yes, I had convinced the boy that this was all in his best interest and for everyone’s own safety. None of this is Arthur’s fault, he is no more then a victim of circumstance in this case anyways. I had at least been able to convince the other leaders of that and we had come up with some simple plans. I want Arthur back under our control or dead for I know how dangerous Arthur can be if the vampires want to use him against us. Arthur is very easy to manipulate if you know how to do it. A simple hint here and there and Arthur would do anything to protect his family. It isn’t Arthur’s fault but this is the way it has to be. I had done what I could, and now it will be up to Arthur to make the next move and see where that leaves us.

         By this time Dominique also gets word that Arthur is out working in the community again and not being watched as closely. Once again he starts making plans.
© Copyright 2011 tara (tara-a at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1820834-Arthurs-tail-ch-9