*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1828788-The-Dragon-The-Wolf-and-The-Raven
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1828788
Chapter three. An encounter with Ravens. Draft 1
                              The Dragon, The Wolf, and The Raven

                                                          Chapter 3

    The Fire settled to a warm glow. The wind was not the only thing that lost much of its power. Pwyll ap LLyr, War leader of the tribes of Dyved and the man chosen to be King, stood watch over his new army of three.  He was lost deep in self analysis. Shirking his duty for adventures and pleasures of the flesh, did not fit with any lessons of honor or nobility he could remember.  What had possessed him?  He searched the stars, and moon above him in the night sky but no answer came. He had loathed the idea of wedding the Dragon Queen. But he knew Gwen was not the cause. He was still searching for something, was it love?  Kerry told him he must leave; it was his fate to search awhile longer. He begged, to stay, but she had been insistent. He must first fulfill his destiny. Then maybe they could be together.  Her words as hard a stone still weighed heavily on his heart. 

    His thoughts were disturbed by Shiva as she stood, perking her ears and sniffing the light breeze.  The Near Wolf's tail was not wagging and the hairs on her back were rising like a silver mountain range.  He looked but saw or heard nothing except the other animals. Jackdaw's big brown was standing with teeth bared, a low growl started gurgling deep with in his belly. Jackdaw sat up with his bow in his hand notching an arrow. They both saw Ekel, already reaching for his weapons. Only the child Makeen slept while his black Near Wolf stood over him hackles fully raised, sniffing the night.

Ekel whispered a command to Rain, his grey and white. They watched her slip off into the shadows.  Pwyll picked up his sword, the fire light cast greenish hews along the blade.  Thunder walked quietly out of the darkness.  Pwyll saw the old Elf, raise an eyebrow.  The man whispered, "I told you he was well trained."  He placed the saddle on the horse also hooking on the shield and battleaxe making ready for combat.  Rain, appeared out of the night. The clouds allowed the moon to shine over them.  She stood by the road and froze like a statue. Ekel said, "They are coming down the road." He motioned for Rain to join him.  Jackdaw woke Makeen and told him to gather his gear and stay behind the log. Pwyll mounted the charger with ease. They could hear horses coming down the road fast but still at some distance.  Jackdaw said "We are not in the best defensive position here." Pwyll spoke with a command voice for the first time, "Build the fire up, and use the shadows as cover. The woods behind us for a fighting retreat if required." He tossed another log on the fire. " You are the foot soldiers but bows only; do not close with them, escape and evade."

Jackdaw asked "What will you do sire?"

"I will fill the role of Calvary and take the fight to them, if I can." 

Pwyll moved toward the road but stayed behind the fire. When he looked back there was no sign the Elves had ever been there. Pwyll waited patiently speaking soothing words to the horse and Near Wolf. Time seem crawl.  The first horse became visible in the fading moonlight. It was white as death; the rider was dressed in black form head to foot. He carried a white shield with a black cruel looking raven on it. The next two riders rode on either side of him but slightly behind.  They were also on white horses and dressed in  black livery of the house of Raven, but they were simple fighting men.  The leader called for them to slow.  They walked their mounts into the field. Pwyll, moved out of the shadow with a drawn sword and shield at the ready.

    Thunder moved slowly to be aligned with the side of the fire.  Pwyll had no wish to block his archers. His whispered command to stay down left Shiva hidden. The leader stopped, leaning forward he called out, "Hail Pwyll, once chieftain in Dyved.



Pwyll lowered his shield, "Hail Lord Raff, leader of the Raven Riders."    Pwyll knew the Ravens rode in squadrons modeled after Romans. Raff had copied and improved on that model. Pwyll hoped he didn't have the whole troop with him.



"You appear to be somewhat unprotected Pwyll." Raff jeered.



"I might be better protected than you Raff."  Pwyll's even and confident tone caused the Lord of Ravens to pause, trying to pierce the darkness around Pwyll with a worried gaze.

"There is a great reward for that graying head of yours Pwyll." 



Pwyll had been moving forward very slowly during the conversation. 

Pwyll smiled at Lord Raff, "That makes twice trader, you have called your king by his given name. Do it again and your head will be my first trophy taken upon returning home.

"Brave words my Liege."

Pwyll was not fooled, he prepared for an attack.

Raff yelled, "Take him you fools." The men at arms moved forward.

Each died with a solid green arrow in his left eye, a sign of an Elvin archer's displeasure.

Pwyll knew this must end quickly. The king did not hesitate, but drove his charger straight forward shield up, slamming the Raven shield down as they collided. The greater height given to him by Thunder provided the opening he sought. There was a quick silvery green shimmering flash of the king's blade and the Lord of Ravens head lay at the feet of the great charger. The spurting blood and ferocity of the attack was too much for Raff's horse. He bolted taking the headless lord on his last short ride. 



  Three other Raven troopers rode into the clearing, and charged straight at Pwyll. Two became pin cushions and died by Elvin arrows. The third screamed, as he saw a silver Near Wolf almost as large as his horse. He tried to swing his mount to face the wolf, but the animal was  terrified. With ears back and fangs bared Shiva struck him in the side. He was on the ground with death gripping his throat.



    One lone Raven rider appeared out of the darkness. His shied was held high over his head as he called out "Hold, Have mercy my King" His black mail and robe showed him to be a Raven Rider, but their quality showed him to be somewhat more than a  trooper.

The king called out "You have my peace, lower your shield and come forward."

The rider did as he was bid moving his horse forward. Pwyll could see he was young man. Golden blond hair stuck out from under his black steal helmet.  His cape was black sable draped behind him.  The sword was the only visible weapon and it was sheathed. He side stepped the big white, past the downed rider gurgling out his last breath. The young raven made no move to assist the dying man, but watched the Near Wolf very closely.

Shiva shook her bloody snout as if in disgust and moved back beside her master.



    The youth looked at the head lying in front of Pwyll. "My Uncle looks a bit worse for the ware my King."

"Do you seek blood vengeance, young raven?" Pwyll asked.

"No, not for a traitor who lead the house of Raven into a disgraceful rebellion against his true king."  He moved forward stopping directly in front of the Pwyll.

Shiva started a low growl. Pwyll quickly commanded her to sit and be quiet.

The rider continued "Lord Raff had no sons to follow him in the way of the new tribes. I am his sisters first born, Connell ap Fey." He bowed "Now Lord of Ravens by your leave Sire."

Pwyll was momentarily startled by the rapid turn of events. "That is easily spoken young man" He answered.

"Please allow me to prove it my Lord."

"As you will." Said the King. "But first answer me this, the house of Raven was sworn to neutrality, and protection of our borders only.  When did that change?

"Your brother changed that, with my uncle's help." There was a hint of defiance in the reply. Then the young man gave sheepish grin. "It was not a change for the better."

"I must beg a boon, Please order your archers to hold their arrows."

"Done" said the King.  Speaking over his shoulder Pwyll ordered "Hold your fire archers."

The new Raven Lord called out a name, Pwyll did not catch, and a young rider came into the light. He guided his horse along side Connell's. Connell gave a few quick low voiced commands. The young rider spun his horse around and rode off into the dark.  Connell was forced to side step his horse to avoid the spinning horse colliding with his mount.

Pwyll waited for an explosion of anger form the new leader. The teenager barely had control of his horse. To his surprise, Connell laughed, "Some day he will master his enthusiasm and his horse."

Pwyll wished he had asked Connell, to speak louder. The orders soon became apparent as black clad raven riders filed into the field leading their mounts. Pwyll could see no weapons.

Many passed by the head of Raff, once Lord of Ravens but Pwyll saw no remorse in their expressions.  Connell said to Pwyll "By your leave sire?" Pwyll nodded consent, curious about what the young man had in mind.

Connell removed his helmet, hung it on the saddle and stood tall on his horse. The black cape and blond hair fluttered in a light breeze. He called out "Raven Riders, Lord Raff is dead. I am now The Raven.". He waited a few minutes. "Does anyone dispute this?"  Pwyll watched the men as Connell made his announcement. He was astonished to see they were elbowing each other and grinning. The spontaneous outburst of cheers was deafening.  The young messenger stepped forward shouting "All Hail, Connell ap Fey, The Raven!"

      Connell dismounted and stood in front of him. Connell drew his sword and reversed it. Pwyll accepted it guessing what was coming next.  The young man knelt saying "The raven riders are mine. I am yours and all I have is yours, my king."   



Watching from the trees, Jackdaw was stunned, but his thoughts raced ahead. There are three other troops of raven riders, each with its own leader.

Pwyll observed the riders for a reaction and said. "Rise, Connell ap Fey, Lord of Raven's Croft." Connell rose as Pwyll passed the sword back to him hilt first.



      The youngest ran forward pounding Connell on his back. The rest stepped forward each bowing first to their king and then to Connell.  Pwyll was amused as he observed how they smiled like school boys when facing the new Raven. This amused Pwyll, as many of these men were hardened old campaigners. Pwyll sat watching as the moon bathed the field in soft light. When they finished the troop stood in formation awaiting commands. Pwyll bent down, "Have your troop join our camp." Connell started to relay the order when the King added, "With their arms please."

Connell laughed, "Yes Sire, They may be more useful that way."

Pwyll very much liked what he saw in this young man. He definitely held the trust and respect of this division of raven riders. The king was curious to learn more.

The orders were passed and men rushed back up the road for their weapons.

Connell lead is beautiful white horse over over removing the saddle an gear form it's back. Pwyll dismounted and started to do the same .

Ekel slid out of the shadows, "Allow me sire." As he took the reins leading the great horse away, a grey and white Near Wolf followed.  Many riders stopped and watched, some with open mouths. Every one had heard tales of Near Wolves but few had seen or experienced the graphic lesson provided by the dead rider with the missing throat.  A surprised, Connell looked to Pwyll, "Your army?" Pwyll replied, "A good portion." Turning toward the woods, he called out "Jackdaw, you can bring the rest of my army in."  They watched as two more elves and two near wolves entered the camp.  One was a child. The raven riders thought this to be a great joke. Laughter continued as the seasoned force set up a field camp for the night.  Pwyll saw four sentries sent of to guard the perimeter. All was done to a concise plan "You have well drilled troop."  Pwyll said to Connell as they settled down.

"They are that Sire.

"Why was Raff riding with you? Were you hunting me?"

"No Sire,' he stuttered, "well yes, but not with my uncle." Connell rushed on " The order came, for us to meet him and help find you." Pwyll offered the young man a taste of whine, but he shook hi head and continued. "We were patrolling in the south west But he did not wait, for us, he took six of his trusted house guard and road out the moment he  received word you were seen."  Pwyll thought on this for a moment, something was not right. , "There were only five with him."  That is true sire; the sixth was old Cam, that man over there bedding down he horse. Pwyll looked at the old trooper as Connell went on.  "He is the horse master in my troop; luckily he was not on patrol with us.  He slipped way from my uncle and came to warn us of his intentions. We hurried to find you before he did, but were a little late.  Connell's red face was not form the fire light. The king had not lost his ability to read men.  The king was arranging his pack, taking off his sword, and placed the dragon shield against the log. "How about the rest of the divisions?".

Connell stretched his legs looking for a place to rest. . The king noticed his discomfort.

"Sit next to me, Connell and answer my questions." 

"Thank you, Sire." He said placing his bed roll next to Pwyll's. He draped his saddle over the log and leaned next to the Kings.

    Pwyll noticed his white shield had a painted black raven with wings swept back in a dive, talons out stretched before it. It looked war like, but not evil like Raff's. Pwyll asked, "What of Raff's arms?"  Connell answered immediately, "They are yours, my lord."  He looked at the fire, and then toward Pwyll, "I wish to buy them back if I can."  My uncle may have been a traitor, but he was once a good Lord and leader. Pwyll knew how much that had cost the young man.  Pwyll picked up the wine, took a drink and passed it to Connell, saying "To another man, who went astray."  The young man looked  at Pwyll, thinking what a strange man.  Connell took a drink saying "There were 322 Raven riders. Now there are 500. I will drink to my uncle for that."  He took a second drink and passed the skin back to Pwyll. " To answer your first question, my lord , The commanders of the other troops are my friends, none have any love for your brother. When he faced Pwyll, he was blushing again. "I am sorry Sire. I meant  to say, I mean. He stopped lost for words. Pwyll placed a hand on his shoulder. "Never be afraid to speak the truth to me and we will always be friends."  They were interrupted by the old elf and two wolves settling down to join them. The big silver Near Wolf, sniffed at Connell, and then plopped down at Pwyll's side scooting Connell a little to the left, making room for herself between the two. Connell felt no fear, he was still thinking about the king calling him a friend. He heard the king ask Jackdaw if he would mind joining the conversation, as the huge brown wolf sat beside the fire.  To Connell it was all so informal; he was very surprised, having seen the Dragon court with Gareth red hand in charge. Jackdaw asked Pwyll a question, Connell did not here. The old Elf said, "Gwydion, You should get Connell's opinions now."   

*Hourglass*

© Copyright 2011 jim1184 (jim1184 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1828788-The-Dragon-The-Wolf-and-The-Raven