*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1829126-Early-Lessons-from-the-Past
Rated: E · Essay · Philosophy · #1829126
Where we are now depends on how we see the past.
It was more than a decade ago when I left the Seminary. Probably the hardest of all decisions I have to make. I was very popular at school and looking back at the old days I couldn’t even imagine how I manage to do all those works in such a short time. I’ve been the president of more than 10 clubs and later on elected to be the Supreme Student Council President. Taking up work for the Brotherhood I was also doing apostolate for the students. And yes, I’m in the pilot section.

We had the most memorable Rosary Rally that the School ever had. The principal was full of Joy for it that she pledged to be one of my sponsors together with the Rotary Club. It was indeed the best years of my life.

Compared to new found life I can consider my life before as enlightened. I was so thin 13 years ago. Hardly rest because there is always something to do but, never gets tired. I can still remember one Superior told me, “Kung magmamahal ka na din lang lubos lubosin mo na!” (When you love give it your everything). That’s how they put it when you do something less than your best.

“If I gave everything I had to the poor, and even give up my body to be burned, if I am without love, it would be of no value.”

- Corinthians 13:3

When you enter the Seminary on your right there is a tree and a sign hangs “I want to be a Saint!” So we toil and sweat like a Saint. We sleep around 10 to 11pm and wake up 3:00 in the morning to pray and hear the mass. We start working in the field and going to school. A life well ordained, you wouldn’t have to stop and think about what you are doing. By the grace of God through your superiors you just have to follow. There are no worries. Each time we needed something it will be there. The brothers wouldn’t tell you that you might miss another semester because of the budgetary constraint but on the exact moment before one brother is to be told there comes the financial support from nowhere. You could just see from their faces how happy they are.

Could you imagine having yourself at the turning point of your life and feel no doubts or worries? When surmountable problems in life troubles you, and there seem to be no way out? Have you ever entrusted everything you have including your breath and your life to God? It is probably the most difficult thing to do. Faith is far from what Webster could ever comprehend or explain.

Faith is knowing for sure and by fact that everything will be alright. That in the midst of crisis you laugh. I got the chance to experience it again two days ago during the Pedring onslaught.

We were on our to my officemate’s boarding house when we suddenly noticed that the road we are going towards to are already flooded to intersection in San Fernando Pampanga. Only trucks and busses could easily pass. So, instead of taking the risks we decided to go back find a place to park the car and ride in jeep so braised ourselves to swim if we had to get to his place. Fortunately we got there safe but wet. Ate dinner and reviewed what happened for the day and I was on my way back to my car to find a place to sleep.

The flood subsided so it was easy travelling back. It was when I got down of the Jeepney I was just less than a 50 meters away that the strong winds hit me. Mu umbrella turned up-side down and the rain hits me from the side. Then I felt something strange. I heard myself laughing saying, ”Lord, why do have to soak me all wet when I’m so close.”

When I got to my car I was relieved and happy. I guess that’s the fruit of the spirit, it gives you a joyful heart amidst the troubles of life.

Love excuses everything, believes all things, hopes all things, and endures all things.

- Corinthians 13:7
© Copyright 2011 paulruiz (paulruiz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1829126-Early-Lessons-from-the-Past