*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1830277-Songs-To-Communicate-By
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Melodrama · #1830277
Breaking up is hard to do.
"Let's rake the leaves," I suggested. 

It seemed a good way to spend a mild November day.  When we were growing up, the smell of burning leaves meant late Fall.  The powers that be had put a stop to that.  A "burning permit" was required, and good luck getting one.

"OK," he replied.

No enthusiasm though.  He'd been quiet for several days.  No mystery why.

We each had a rake, and started at opposite sides of the back yard.  We'd meet in the middle and bag up the leaves for transporting to the town dump.  The sun was bright, the air was crisp, I was having a good time.

Occasional glances made it obvious that the other side of the yard wasn't as enjoyable.

"Want to change sides?  Maybe you'll have more fun over here," I suggested.

"Oh for crying out loud.  Can't you just let things be?"

"Let it be, let it be.  That was the Beatles," I said.  Without thinking I confess.

"Just what we need.  A pearl of wisdom from a band that had just broken up," he said.

"Does everything trigger a thought of break up to you?"

He dropped his rake, and came slowly over to me, looking more sad then angry.

"I'm afraid the it does, Hon.  You know that I never expected this to happen, but it has," he said.

He took the rake from my hands, laid it aside, and took my hands in his.

"There's another song from that album, 'I've Got A Feeling'.  That's me right now," he said.  "In a sense I do need to change sides.  I can't get him otta my mind."

That was one song lyric too many.  If I couldn't hold a candle to his new love, it was over between us.

© Copyright 2011 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1830277-Songs-To-Communicate-By