*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1830543-For-The-Defense
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Satire · #1830543
Sometimes the best defense.

"If found guilty the sentence is 10 days," stated the Judge.

What was the accusation against me?

I laughed when the Mayor made another stupid pronouncement.  Not that I didn't know the rules.

"Honor the town's officials." on TV.  "The MAYOR is our LEADER," on billboards, along with his overfed face.  The city went to extremes to pound the messages into my thick skull.

I was just one of those people who couldn't hide anything.  Never was any good at poker.

The court would have preferred to impose a fine.  After all, that's what the rules were for.  But when the victim, I mean criminal, was broke, what else could they do.

The town constables had assembled us at a cliff overlooking the town.  The scene of the crime.  It had been 'Lover's Leap' forever.  A great place for watching the submarine races.

"There have been reports of illicit behavior here.  No more of that.  This park, with it's view, will be known as the 'Mayor Harold Lewiston Vista', with regular patrols to maintain decorum." the Mayor said.

Could you have kept a straight face?

"How do you plead?" asked the Judge.

"Not guilty your honor," I answered.

The prosecution simply played a video of me listening to the Mayor's address.  No one would have mistaken my look for anything but a laugh.

"Your defense?" the Judge said.

"The rules say honor the Mayor.  He told a great joke.  I laughed.  All of those others in the video should be tried.  Many would be able to, I mean have to, pay a fine," I pointed out.

"Mr. Mayor, was your statement a joke?" asked the Judge.

"Hmmm.  As I do the math, I mean as I think back, it certainly was," answered the Mayor.

"Not guilty," said the Judge.
© Copyright 2011 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1830543-For-The-Defense