*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1830771-A-Brothers-Proposition
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Family · #1830771
Finding time to write.

Kevin's my big brother.  Doesn't fully explain why I was jealous of him, but it's a good starting point.

Kevin was number one in our family, always had something to crow about.  Threw a ball faster then anyone, got high grades without studying, and at UCONN, fought off the girls with a club, as the saying goes.  Can you stand it?

We grew up in one of those brick row houses in Norwich, on the poor side of the tracks.  That's about the only advantage Kevin didn't have.

Me, I was lucky to make it out of Tech, destined to end up down in Montville, watching the traffic go by on I-395 with the rest of the inmates.

So, imagine my shock when Kevin wanted me to join him and his college grad buddies in something.  Sounded a little shady, which is probably why he thought of me.

"Nothing illegal about it," Kevin said.  "The casinos being against it, doesn't make it illegal.  They'll kick you out when they catch you, but that's it."

"You need one more to make the math work?" I asked.

"Right.  We've run the computer simulations.  Working together, the odds are in our favor, not the house's.  We'll put up the seed money, so no risk to you."

So off we went to the Mohegan Sun.  And the next night, week, and month.  Then one night we arrived and were "invited" into a manager's office.

"Boys, it's been fun, but your counting days are over.  No casino here in Connecticut, nor anywhere else in the grand old US of A, will accept your business.  Have a good day."

Kevin and his posse are investing in various businesses.  Me, now I have time to write stories for Writing.com.

© Copyright 2011 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1830771-A-Brothers-Proposition