*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1836974-Character
Rated: E · Fiction · Experience · #1836974
Some simple moments are memorable.
My body was frigid in this black pea coat and my breath graced the daylight with a misty film. The scarcity of my mind was becoming a foreshadowing on the onslaught of hard years ahead. Over and over we tumbled in frailty and crackpot wisdom deluding ourselves with hope and reason.  As though these things could really be the answer to all our questions. The mutterings of a madman down on Quarry Lane they all said.

Her smile was a life-fulfilling cusp to my brooding day. All this worry can be shed, molted as it were, anew to rekindle the spirits. The lustful bodies aren’t as old anymore, lying thick with dread and remorse for the things we say and do in the name of neighbor and friend.

I calm my nerves and our hands clasp and fingers entwine. Let’s just be here as who we are. But know that this is never all we will ever be. The wind began to pick up coming in from the east to flutter our hair. It was a tangled mess and in this chaos we forgot again all that we wished to know. We became the sultry humans in the cloth gowns. Our smiles faltered and we dashed to the safety of our warm old Buick. The memories had worn these leather seats ragged. We can hear the faded crackle of Morrissey faintly drifting through the speakers as the wind rushes through this car, causing the smoke from our cigarettes to swirl and flow in a sporadic state.

Each moment passed as the one before swaying our dread for death to overcome us. Our invincibility was our strength and in this came the hope like a shot of adrenaline we screamed and cried and laughed. Oh the sweet bitter laughter of a life well played soothed our adventurous hearts. The stars gasped their dying breaths upon the surfaces of our faces as we gazed in reminiscent awe, not for the stars themselves, but for the grand scheme they inspired. For the images left in our head of a place somehow right and real.
© Copyright 2011 Davetheapple (davetheapple at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1836974-Character