*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1837804-Mice-New-Year
by Ciaran
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #1837804
A merry New Year enjoyed by one mouse
Mice usually love New Year and Terry was no exception. Humans have so much food and drink that they don’t notice if a little, goes missing. If a mouse can be patient and wait for the inevitable spillage that isn’t cleaned then they can get an easy meal.  These spills are definitely more common at New Year’s, and Terry was about to find out why. It was a New Year to remember, shame the memory was so hazy!
Terry had just eaten some salty peanuts when he had to duck for cover as he heard footprints approach. When he heard someone pour a drink, Terry was happy he might get the chance to quench the thirst that had developed. Sure enough, some careless human had poured a glass of that they thing they called ‘wine’ too eagerly; and the drop that spilled on the floor would be more than enough for any mouse. As the person left the room Terry crept over to drink his fill from the puddle.
Immediately the taste gave Jerry a sharp sensation he didn’t like. He felt sick, but that feeling passed after a few minutes. ‘Why would anyone drink this?’ he thought, resolving never to drink ‘wine’ again. Well, he might drink it again, if he was desperate. A few minutes later, just as he began to think wine and mice don’t mix, he began to feel so much warmer and relaxed. Maybe he would just hang around here and feast on the delicious spread the humans had laid out for him. And drink more of the puddle, of course.
He woke up later that evening, concealed in a bowl of chips. His head hurt, he couldn’t remember anything, but he had a grand time. If only New Year came a little more often!
© Copyright 2012 Ciaran (ciaranj123 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1837804-Mice-New-Year