*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1841535-A-little-help
by Ciaran
Rated: 13+ · Other · Contest Entry · #1841535
A woman in a car accident is helped to safety by a stranger


‘Just a bit farther’, Charlie thought, fingers burning as they clung on to the precipice. All Charlie had to do was focus on ledge above, and that each pull was closer to safety and farther away from the smoking wreck of the car. Charlie had driven on this road so many times before and had become so used to the avalanche warning signs. No rocks ever fell, except for today.  Charlie had swerved to avoid the pile of boulders, but couldn’t avoid breaking through the crash barrier and rolling down the ravine.

‘Made it!’, Charlie said in a low, strained; the sort of triumphant cry that could only be given by someone in such an isolation, where exhaustion is temporarily overcome by relief. Looking down on the crash scene, trying to get back some breath and to gain enough composure to call the police; Charlie was so relieved that a nasty situation was resolved.  It was then the cries came into focus.

When people are very focused on their own problems, they often don’t notice their surroundings.  Charlie knew this, but was still surprised a mind could fail to register the jeep just ahead of the wrecked car, even if it was obscured by trees.  Charlie could see no-one else around, and was reluctant to climb down the bank that had been so hard to ascend. But, as the cries persisted, Charlie knew the only way was down.

Charlie approached the jeep, still not able to believe that it had gone un-noticed for so long. Sure enough, there in the driving seat was a middle-aged woman who seemed to have injuries quite a bit more serious than just a few cuts and bruises. Charlie immediately phoned an ambulance, a felt glad her plight had been noticed (eventully).



© Copyright 2012 Ciaran (ciaranj123 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1841535-A-little-help