*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1840750-011512-Daily-Flash-Fiction-Entry
Rated: 13+ · Other · Contest Entry · #1840750
Jealous Rose
Rose
Poison
Ice

Vanya paced in front of the stained table where the witch was carefully combining ingredients. “Don’t make it work too quickly, I want her to suffer.” Vanya spat venomously, “She knew he was mine and stole him away. Sela is going to pay! I will be the Princess of Darthenmoore!”

The witch looked up. She didn’t care what her clients did with her potions, but they always seemed to want to tell her. “Kingdoms rise and kingdoms fall, but all things are ever as they were.” She said cryptically.

The witch picked a large red rose from a plant. She dipped a fine horsetail brush into the poison and coated the thorns. “As you requested: First, she will feel cramps; moments later her bowels will turn to water. Her vision will be as though she is staring into the blazing sun, but she will not be able to close her eyes. She will hear the thunderous roar of a thousand dragons, but not be able to block them out. Finally, her skin will begin to burn until her body is consumed by the flames. In the end, only a pile of ashes will remain.”

Vanya smiled cruelly as she handed the witch a leather pouch. “One thousand gold pieces.”

The witch handed her the rose and placed the pouch in a cupboard.

“Aren’t you going to count it?”

“Have I need to?”

“Suit yourself.” Vanya said dismissively as she turned to leave the hut. When she took the first step down her foot slipped on invisible ice. Vanya reached out to grab the railing with the rose in her hand. She cried out as the thorns dug deeply into her flesh. When the cramps started to come on the full reality had hit her.

“No.” It was only a whimper.

(300 Words)
© Copyright 2012 Fred Marle (dtpreuss at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1840750-011512-Daily-Flash-Fiction-Entry