*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1840976-A-new-year-a-new-beginning
Rated: E · Essay · Biographical · #1840976
An introspective piece about turning the page and starting over by changing my attitude.
A great man once said: "Change your thoughts and you change your world." – (Dr. Norman Vincent Peale) – With the start of this new year, I am determined to follow his advice.
Last year came and went, and left me with the realization that I let it slip by without much done –nothing for me to be proud of. Last year, I did nothing but mope around cursing my luck, depressing over things I don't have, and hating my life. On December 31, I looked around me and considered my situation. I'm not going anywhere with this attitude, I knew.
Something needs to be done. So I took out a blank paper and wrote down all the things that I thought were going wrong in my life. At the bottom of the paper I wrote the words: "deal with it." On another piece of paper I jotted down a list of goals that I want done by the end of the coming year. I was determined not to let another year of my life go in vain. I took the paper with the list of things gone wrong, folded it, and wrote on top with big bold letters: "THE LORD NEVER GIVES US MORE THAN WE CAN HANDLE." I know I've got things to deal with, but I also realize I am blessed; God has given me talents, and it's about time I put them to use. I then attached the list of goals to it face up, and placed the papers in the top drawer of my desk at the office. That way, I figured, everytime I open the drawer, I would get a glimpse of my resolutions and maybe that will remind me to keep going all through the year.
Today is January the 5th of the new year–so far, so good. Granted, it's been hard to keep my spirits up at all times; they say you have to give a new activity–attitude, in this case– at least a month for it to kick in as a habit, so I'm being patient. I'm not going out of my way to turn my life upside down, but I am looking at the blessings God has given me and being thankful, as opposed to only noticing the problems and making dead-end barriers out of insignificant hinders that cross my path. Small changes are what I am focusing on right now; I think, slowly the big changes will make their way through the small ones. I am taking my time, yes, but I am not wasting it. I have already started working on some of the goals I've put for myself to follow and I hope I will stay motivated and reach the end of the year, all items checked on my list.
© Copyright 2012 The Mockingbird (mockinbird at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1840976-A-new-year-a-new-beginning