*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1847725-The-nightly-adventure
by AJ
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1847725
A typical adventure taken most nights.

The room was dark apart from a small flicker of light. When I turned to see what it was, a small blue number was flashing from the dvd player at the point I had pressed pause earlier. I looked around but could not see much at all. I stretched my arms and composed my head to make sure the world was not spinning around me. I slowly manoeuvred my legs off the bed and pushed myself to stand up. One slow foot in front of the other, I made my way partially by memory and partially through feeling my way, towards where I believed the bathroom door was. Each step felt like I was so far away as a mixture of stiffness and tiredness was overriding my thoughts. I made out what was the door frame and fumbled my hand around for the bathroom light. Eventually finding the switch, the bright light attacked me straight on. My eyes retracted as if this was an unknown sense, I staggered in grunting as the light beamed brightly.

I then had to reverse my trip, turning off the light and wondering how I would find my way back in this dark jungle. I was blinded by the bright bathroom light and had to remember how to get back to my bed. I started out cautiously and gained confidence that I could navigate this path which I have hundreds of times before without incident. That was until I cornered slightly early and stubbed my toes on the end of the bed. A small whimper and hop, I made it to the bed. I slowly and quietly lowered myself into the bed, pulling the duvet over me and turning to go back to sleep, at which point my wife turned over and in her sleep threw her arm over me. I would close my eyes and wonder had I disturbed her at all in all my efforts to make a stealth journey to the bathroom and back, or was this a simple nightly turn to maintain comfort in her sleep. Either way, I felt my mission had been accomplished with great effort and accuracy apart from 2 stubbed toes.
© Copyright 2012 AJ (andyhudson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1847725-The-nightly-adventure