*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1849173-Strength-of-Love
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1849173
At an early age was Jesus already pointing people to the truth? I think so.
Strength of Love
When his father entered James hugged him and kissed him on both cheeks. Taking his father's hand he clasped his elbow and looked directly into his eyes and stated rather than asked, “I trust your day went well my father.”

Jonathon was taken back by his son's behavior. He didn't remember the last time his son greeted him. “Yes it was profitable James.”

James sensed some confusion and decided to press forward. “Father, I ask your forgiveness. Would you again begin teaching me the trade skills of our fathers'? I promise to learn all that I must this time.”

Jonathan's eyes blinked several times. “What...how...who?” His forehead showed several heavy creases as he walked around his son. He examined him, as if by visual inspection he could determine what the lad was up to. “You have never expressed an interest in my work.”

“You are right father. A friend, Jesus, showed me that I must change.”

“And how did Jesus do this?”

James could see he needed to relate the whole story. “Today I was pushing Andrew around at the well.”

“The shepherd boy?”

“Yes. Jesus stepped between us and I shoved him to the ground.”

The lines in Jonathan's forehead grew deeper. His son had apparently become a bully. “Go on then.”

James continued. “After Jesus got up he said many things that made sense. He even knew that … that you are...were mean to mother and I at times.”

Jonathan's face quickly turned red and the mention of his wife. His family life was apparently being discussed in public. This is the height of dishonor.

James didn't look up but quickly continued, “I never told him or anyone else that you deride us father. But somehow he knew. He said that I must be strong. Strong in love and that this alone would...” James stopped. He tried to think of how to say what came next.

“This would what?” Jonathan shouted.

“This would help to change your heart. He reminded me of the scrolls from King David. The palms that speak of God's love and protection for David. And David's love for God. Jesus said this love was also toward me as well.”

Jonathan was speechless for several seconds then replied quietly. “I wonder sometimes if He loves us.”

“Jesus said that God knew my heart. And that God would help me be strong. He has given me the strength to face you in love now.”

There was no anger left in Jonathan as he spoke. “I can see that God has indeed given you strength. Can you pray that He might also give me this strength of love?”

“Yes father. In fact before I left Jesus prayed that you would be strong. He prayed as if he knew God face to face. Even his prayer started with 'My Father'.”

“This boy Jesus. I would like to meet him some day.”

“I'm not sure why, but I know somehow that you will see Jesus father.”
© Copyright 2012 Old Bike (paulh316 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1849173-Strength-of-Love