*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1849213-A-Watchful-Prayer
Rated: E · Fiction · Death · #1849213
A flash fiction story of love, loss and despair
A Watchful Prayer


Jeanie’s flame red hair glowed in the candlelight, her eyes bright with fear.

It had been six days since we'd set out. None of us had expected to get lost. Least of all Jeanie, who had dreamed of us getting to this place, only to find that dream turned on its head. Now here we were, stuck in some god-forsaken place. A cave was my guess. But who knew.

We'd been taking pictures and got left behind. Then in the rush to catch up, Jeanie fell and the ground just swallowed us both. The screaming and crying was the worst part.

We had food - enough to last a few days. We tried to climb, to find a way out, but had reached a point where all our ideas had turned to despair.

“Erik.” said Jeanie. “Why am I here? I wanted to do so much, to build my life. I was just starting again and this was supposed to be a break - but a break from what? From life! We said we’d be together and I guess we will soon… But I’m so scared! I don’t want this to be my tomb!”

The tears flowed, and I tried to comfort her as best I could. But fighting the fear was beyond me. The situation was untenable and soon she would be joining me. I never wanted it to be like this. I love her so much and could never leave her. But to see her like this was unbearable.

If I could only hold her again, find a way out and make her safe. But none of that is possible. I am a ghost and all I can do is watch and pray.

END


291 words
© Copyright 2012 soulriff (jerrymauss at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1849213-A-Watchful-Prayer