*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1849960-The-Red-Flannel-Shirt
Rated: E · Essay · Biographical · #1849960
Class assignment depicting a event in my life.
The Red Flannel Shirt
Feb. 1, 2012



As she caresses the soft red flannel shirt with her fingers they outline each button and seam she allows her thoughts to wander to a place that is much easier to forget than visit. Her eyes are heavy, struggling to keep the sight of that shirt in focus. As her lids slowly close despite her objection it doesn’t take long to lose the battle, as they close to shut out the day.

She enters the hallway reluctantly knowing they were already late. She lets her thoughts slip from her lips, “Damn Mike, you better be ready because we are already late.” Not hearing a response she goes straight to the stairs but something stops her from taking the first step upwards. The frightening thought that something was amiss. Even when Mike was running late because he was too fatigued to get dressed early, he was always waiting for her in the kitchen. Most days he would yell out; “Deb I’m in the kitchen so get my coat for me.” There was none of that this time. The house was eerily quiet, only the fan from the wood stove could be heard; the sound that often helped her fall asleep on the couch those nights when Mike slept in the hospital bed in the next room. 

Instead of then running up the stairs, she turned quickly heading down the hall. Her gait was unsteady and she stumbled then grabbed the railing to steady herself. She glanced into the living room and saw Mike sitting upright on his favorite corner of the couch, the corner closest to the stove. Dad’s spot as the boys often called it. He looked as he always did, fast asleep with the TV selector in one hand and his coffee cup cradled against his leg. As she placed her hand on his shoulder she could feel the softness of the flannel. For a short moment her thoughts wandered to the Christmas that she bought that shirt for him. She smiled but quickly realized he had not responded to her touch. The following minutes become frantic as she feels his cold skin and sees the blue shading around his lips but all she can really see is Mike in his favorite, red flannel shirt.
© Copyright 2012 DKlepper (sparky10855 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1849960-The-Red-Flannel-Shirt