*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1852930-Flesh-and-Bone-Understanding-What-Being
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Inspirational · #1852930
Everybody has dreams of being their optimum version, transcend the limitations of reality
Everybody has dreams of being their optimum version. When you dream you transcend the limitations of reality. If these are prophecies or fantasies is for the individual to decide but a topic I desire to dissect. Through millions of years of evolution creatures of this world have come and gone, while others thrived and evolved. Natural selection, a concept introduced by Charles Darwin, talks about how species produce traits that help them not only survive but become an elite animal in the kingdom of species. A process in nature in which organisms possess characteristics that make them better to survive, reproduce, and dominate, to influence others with charisma and intelligence, Perpetuate their essential qualities to succeeding generations, the alpha gene. To evolve and grow because we are as a species able to grow and we as individuals and as a species need to continually capitalize, break the restraints. Charles Darwin introduced the Origin of Species in 1859(1), A book that promoted the idea of natural selection over theology. This concept helped paint me a picture, introducing the idea of survival tactics and mechanism that are shown in every habitat. “The possibility of attaining old age and accumulating experience, the higher intellectual development, and the further growth of sociable habits, secure the maintenance of the species, and its further progressive evolution.” Is a quote from Peter Kroptkins book, Mutual Aid; a Factor of Evolution. (2)My interpretation of this powerful statement is that the smarter the creature, the more elite and dangerous it is. You need not look further than humans as the greatest example. We are human, therefore we can think analytically, and with an Imagination. Our ability to think outside the box of conformity is mankind’s greatest weapon.

Millions of years ago, when the earth was young, creatures known as dinosaurs ruled the earth. Carnivores and Herbivores lived together, yet not always in harmony. The strings of destiny have pitted the two groups of creatures into two very distinct groups, predators and their prey. The earliest creatures were small and clumsy, unable to grasp the situation that is life, but survived on primal instincts. As time progressed, like the ideas Darwin introduced, these two sets of creatures evolved and adapted to the environment they were living in. some herbivores began to grow long necks to help them reach the treetops like he brachiosaurus (3). Then there were the predators that evolved in turn, gaining the ability of keen eyesight and smell with the instinctual hunter’s prowess to hunt in packs, gaining strength through numbers. As millions of years past there were changes in the creature’s sizes and dominance. The small dinosaurs grew bigger into the enormous behemoths that we know and love depicted in popular culture in forms like the movie Jurassic Park. The most famous of all dinosaurs, being a super predator known by most people across the world the Tyrannosaurus Rex. This is the Elvis Presley of the dinosaur world. The skeptical individuals who wonder why he is the “so-called king” need not look any farther than his physical stature. Towering over most other creatures 42 feet long and up to 13 tall and with a jaw that can make a snack out of modern day bulls and alligators. Legs those are long and powerful, creating a stride to keep up with his prey. (3) Natural Selection would not allow the T-Rex to go unchallenged though. Therefore Rex had enemies, the Triceratops; which is the tank of dinosaurs. An armor plated titan with three horns to help defend and attack his enemies. As fierce and dominant as these creature were, ruling the earth for millions of years, they were not able to escape fate. The natural way that the universe works ended their rule with a bang. Shrouded in darkness, many believe that a meteor had come from space and hit the earth covering the atmosphere with dust. (4)

From the darkness, mammals rose like the phoenix from the ash. At first small mammals, marsupials, rats, other small creatures roamed the lands (5). Just as time has proven, history repeats itself and creatures began to grow larger and larger until they became so massive, we consider them super predators. This is considered to be a form of natural selection and progression of genetics. How we evolve is not only in our blood but it is also decided by nature. This is shown in everyday life with the animals we are used to seeing (6). When you think of birds that soar in the sky hundred of feet above the earth, they are given keen eyesight so they can see the horizon with accuracy. When you think of modern day predators like the lion, king of the Jungle, you must take into account their hearing and reflexes being able to catch prey that can be quicker then they are. When you think of prime apes, the genetics become more intricate. Through genetics and natural selection, the apes were blessed with an opposable thumb and the ability to communicate in a manor with more intelligence than that of previous creatures. The gorillas, chimpanzee’s monkeys, and other apes roam the jungle on all four limbs. Their strength rivals that of a titan, dwarfing the physical capabilities of humans. They are able to feel and analyze situations very much like humans do. Why is it that the great apes do no sit atop the food chain then? They are bigger, more agile, stronger, and quicker than humans are. (6)

The reason that humans sit on top of the throne of natural selection is because of our brain. We have the natural desire to live, and will survive by any means possible. Just like other animals we are able to think and analyze situations, but what separates us from other animals is our ability to think into depth. We see the rules of life and are able to bend the constraints that nature has placed upon us. Our greatest weapon at our disposal is our brain. With a high forehead placed upon us through evolution we are able to challenge the rules. We can imagine and dream of any situation we want. We have the tools to make anything possible through imagination. Our brain produces a chemical called Dimethyltryptomine or DMT, which is a chemical that cause our brain to dream (7). Our dreams propel us to new heights and strive to achieve what was thought to be impossible. Look around and see what our dreams have made possible. There are structures that we have built that tower high in the sky like mountain ranges. We have created technology like cell phones that has made it possible to contact people and talk to them all in the palm of our hands. Starting off with the wheel, we have made giant leaps further as time progressed because we have used our imagination to achieve goals we have set for ourselves. Everybody dreams, just ask Mr. Martin Luther King. By taking the reigns of life to create our own destiny, we have made our own yellow brick road that lead to a destination of our choosing. At times these roads are dangerous, but are made with the best of intentions. This can be bad, as we know, Saint Bernard of Clairvaux said it the best, “The road to hell is paved with the best intentions. (8)” We have created weapons of mass destruction with bombs and biological warfare. Bombs, guns, and missiles constructed that we aim at our own brothers from a distant land. What this means to me, is that we have power. With great power comes responsibility, we must be careful not to abuse our knowledge. We have created, we have built, we have adapted to the wilds that life has presented to us. By taming these wilds and colonizing the land with cities and great structures we have created a skyline that reflects our own excellence and pride. Concrete jungles litter the world, a picture that presents our dreams and aspirations. We dream of peace and build for war! We reshape the world to our own image, building alleyways between the pacific and Atlantic oceans, the Panama Canal. We sit on the throne of natural selection because we have not only watched the throne, but we recognized the symbolism and responsibilities that come with being king and decided to seize it with our hands.

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” Charles Darwin had stated (8). This reminds me of a saying made by Andrew Young, “In a world where change is inevitable and continuous, the need to achieve that change without violence is essential for survival.”(8) A truth that weighs heavy upon our life, because we all know that everything changes, and yet in a mirror it stays the same. We desire to live life to the fullest with the tools that we are given. Aristotle said, “The ultimate value of life depends upon awareness, and the power of contemplation rather than upon mere survival.”(8) These are all sayings to live by, with strong meanings that are impressed on society but personally I want to be the best person I can be. That’s not even true, I want to be better than myself, so I look to the stars for guidance and I don’t look back.

© Copyright 2012 M.B. Sheldon (msheldon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1852930-Flesh-and-Bone-Understanding-What-Being