*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1853154-WWIII-Part-1-United-We-Stand-Chapter-2
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · War · #1853154
Getting ready to join the conflict. Rusty and the others are nervous and also excited.
                                                                  Barracks 2nd Level

                                                                        Base 14

                                                                        Baden

                                                                      Chapter 2

    “We did it,” Fix said as he jumped up into the bunk above me.

    “Yep we sure did,” I replied as I dozed off.

    All of a sudden there was a small ping on the door to our barracks room. This was the moment our entire squad had been waiting for the entire time. Sifter jumped from his bunk at the same time as Stitchwork and Blitz did. Fix and I weren’t far behind as we all raced to the door. I reached out and opened the door, stepped out and plucked the papers off of the tack that was stuck into the center of the door. I looked down and realized that it was the assignment sheets. I brought it back inside and got loads of questions so I dug through the A’s and came to the third page. Avenger Squad assigned to 331st infantry and 129th Armored at East front in Northern Pennsylvania. We looked underneath this line and found our objectives. Next to a little number one were the words neutralize enemy guard towers and outposts. Number two said that we were to take the town of Edinboro, PA. The Russians and Germans had dug in there and have worked on cutting off our supply runs to the Erie front. And at last the little number three that was last had obtain and rescue all P.O.W.’s on the way to Edinboro. Prisoners were an extremely hated job throughout the entire Red Team. By this time all of our enemies had built enough strength to completely fortify the positions that had prisoners at them.

    “Ahh… who cares it’s our last night here so let’s get some sleep,” Blitz said as he walked over and jumped up onto his bunk.

    Slowly but surely the rest of us crept back into our bunks and drifted into a deep sleep, one crowded with dreams of the day that awaited us tomorrow.

In the morning we all got up and took turns using the small bathroom area as usual on slow days. I changed into a new under suit and put on my training armor, except for the helmet which I tucked under my arm. We filed out in a straight line as usual. Sifter lead the way, followed by Blitz, then Fix, me, and Stitchwork as we followed the papers instructions and headed up to the 4th level to the briefing room.  We piled onto the lift and it was about to go up when a couple of techs jumped through the door as it sealed shut and took us up.

    “That was a close one,” the one on the left mentioned to the other as he punched him in the arm.

    “Yeah, but it was your fault we are late anyway,” the other tech said as he leaned on the rail next to Blitz.

    “Where are you guys going?” Blitz asked as he eyed them up head to toe.

    “Briefing room, how about you?” said the one on the left.

    “Us to,” Fix cut in as Blitz was about to speak.

    “Cool, what’s your call sign?” the one speaking to Blitz asked

    “I’m Blitz, this is Fix, Sifter, Rusty, and Stitchwork,” he replied pointing to all of us.

    “Nice to meet you, I’m Blazer and this is Carver,” said the tech that was leaning next to Blitz.

    We were about to talk more in depth to each other when the lift doors opened up and we all stepped off. The briefing room was down the hall and past a set of offices and tactical defense rooms. Everyone that was scheduled for this timeframe was already there as we stepped into the room and shut the door behind us.

    “Call signs?” an officer behind a desk in the front with a checklist on a clipboard asked.

    “Avenger Squad full checked, five members accounted for,” another officer said as he stepped away from the closed door and up towards the front.

    Before he made it to the stand he pointed to an empty group of seats and we all filed in and sat down. By the time the commanding officer stood and prepared to speak all of the side conversations and whispering had ended.

    “All right, now, everyone that is sitting in this room, you are now part of the same unit,” the officer at the desk started.

    “To begin, I believe you should know the basics of whom and what we are fighting against. Your particular mission is to aid the battered units of 557th Infantry Division. They have almost pushed the Russians and the North Koreans into full retreat on their way to Edinboro. The only group that isn’t pulling out as fast as we hoped is the Pakistanis.  After you help them clear the resistance out you will then start your main objective and neutralize all of the watch towers and defense posts that the enemy has set up on the way to the main section of town. Any questions?” the instructor finished.

    When nobody had any questions he stood and we all got up.

    “Don’t forget to pick up your armor and weapons at the armory. Optrix gunships leave in 15. Dismissed,” he said as we all filed out of the briefing room and made our way towards the lifts.

    “Are you ready?” Sifter said as he walked up behind me.

    “Doesn’t matter, in 15 we all get a taste of war,” I whispered as we walked on down the last hall and came to the lift that brought us here.

    As everyone filled the lift I leaned over and whispered into the side of Sifter’s training helmet.

    “It’s official; we are now just another few that have been drawn into WWIII,” I said as I stared out into nothing.

    “I know,” was Sifter’s only response.

    As we descended down the lift and into the armory the only sight that was on my mind was the group of red armored soldiers, faceless and quiet, as they all faced an inevitable war and more than likely death in just 15 short minutes.

© Copyright 2012 enyeama1 (enyeama1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1853154-WWIII-Part-1-United-We-Stand-Chapter-2