*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1857800-Agent-Ace-Origin
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1857800
Sequel to Ace Maverick- is Ace's job right for him?
TOP SECRET DATABANK ENTRY

SUBJECT: AGENT ACE


         I never should have opened that door.  That was the moment when my life turned south.  Then again, if I hadn’t opened that door, many folks would have fallen victim to the same fate that made me open the door.

         Let me back up, I’ve gotten ahead of myself; I haven’t even introduced myself to whoever is reading this data file.  My name is Agent Ace; I have never known that I possess any other form of a name.  As far as I can remember, I have been trained to be the best of a Special Ops team; then again ‘team’ is a loose term, seeing as we have hardly seen each other face to face.  I was trained to handle any situation, generally on my own.  I was taught by, and soon surpassed the best trainers and Agents that the Government had available. 

         My task was usually to capture and bring in renegade and rogue ‘Supers’.  Supers are people who have inhuman abilities.  I believe that they used to be called superheroes and supervillians; but nowadays no one wants supers of any kind, unless they are registered and are employed by the government.

         I was injected with nanobots that repaired my body, allowing me to heal from almost any injury.  The only side affect was that I require more food to sustain my appetite. 

         I continued my work for many years.  Then I made a revelation when I was about forty, though I appeared to only be about twenty.  I was dropping off a recently captured super, when I decided to see what happened to the supers.  I merely told the guards that I would be needed if he tried to break loose and they calmly agreed. 

         What I found was horrifying!  I had been told that the supers were being held as forced guests rather than as prisoners; but in the cell I found that the numerous unwilling supers were being locked up, tortured, and experimented on like animals.  No it was worse than how we treat animals.

         Immediately after my revelation, I went to my superior’s office.  As I reached for the door, I realized that the guard duty had been stepped up.  More people patrolled the halls, and the sentries actually paid attention to the identification I presented.  I knew that something was amiss.

         I opened the door and stepped into the office.  The far wall was a large window that opened up to the skyline of the city.  My superior turned in his chair and asked what I was here for.  I threw down the files of the facility and told him what was going on under his nose and that we had to stop it.  He merely sighed and told me that I shouldn’t stick my nose into things and that he couldn’t afford to let me roam free with this information.  With a snap of his fingers, guards burst through the door and through servant entrances.

         Luckily I had a contingency plan in place.  First of all, I scrambled the code to my nanobots so that they were un-hackable and secondly I had backup in place.  I chuckled and said,”Pretty good, old man.  But you made one mistake.  You trained me far too good to be stopped,” as I pressed a button hidden in my hand.

         Just then an Apache XIII attack copter swooped down behind the window without the guard’s notice.  I counted to three and lunged two steps, placed one foot on the desk and propelled myself into the air just as a rocket shot through the glass shattering the window into millions to pieces and passing just a few inches under me, hitting the far wall.  The explosion carried me the rest of the way to the helicopter where Katana and Trigger were waiting.  “Thank you for choosing Just Plain Awesome Airlines.  We assure you that this flight will rock your world!”

         “Whatever Trigger, Just fly the chopper and stop with the wisecracks,” Katana replied.

         “So what’s the feedback from Techno?” I asked.

         “Not good, not good at all.  The government found The Crystal; it’s headed toward San Diego.  It should touchdown in a few moments.  We would be there to retrieve it, but the side effects of being near are too risky.  If it falls into government hands, they would be unstoppable.”

         Let me back up.  The Crystal is a gem of untold power that is the main cause for superhuman powers.  It is usually mistaken for a comet when it passes by our planet.  Every year, its orbit has come closer and closer to Earth.  But today it was supposed to land on Earth for the first time in recorded history.  Legend has it that the first form of intelligent life that touches it after it descends will gain the power of The Crystal for his or herself.  Just being near The Crystal can make you a Super. 

         “Oh well, we will just have to hope that Eon can stop the Government agent from reaching it.  We need to get to that guy who is making the Super Serum before the Government does.”  It was previously my assignment, so we had a few more hours on our hands before they decided the next operative.  “Just drop me off at these coordinates, and I’ll take it from there.”

         When I reached the laboratory; I leaped out of the chopper and grabbed a power cable, let it slow my decent and used the recoil to spring myself onto the roof.  I looked into the skylight and used a laser pen to cut a hole in the glass.  I quickly grabbed the glass before it could fall, and descended down using my jetpack/supercomputer, I then sealed the glass back in place with some epoxy. 

         As I descended down I realized that someone was still in the building.  Switching to stealth mode, I dropped to the floor silently before he could register me with his infrared goggles.  “Hey! Um, who’s there?” So much for stealth.

         Not wanting to harm him, I walked forward and introduced myself.  “Look, I’ve got to get you, your serum, and all copies of your notes out of here before the Agents arrive.”

Realizing the danger, the scientist showed me the room where the amarillo vials of serum were being held.  “The slightest dose, oral or injected, and you will become a Super.”  I started grabbing and securing the vials in my backpack.

         “I can’t take it all; we will have to destroy the lab.”

         “Too late, they’re here.” The scientist replied as troops burst into the room, guns blazing.  He grabbed a vial and gulped down the contents, quickly growing larger and more muscular.  He then charged at the troops in a berserker rage.

         Time seemed to slow down.  I watched in slow motion as a bullet passed just by my head and shattered a vial.  The contents flew in every direction but one shard of glass in particular imbedded itself halfway into my arm.  This wouldn’t be a problem, the nanobots would heal that, but there was a drop of Serum on the glass that slid into my bloodstream.  Suddenly I felt a tingling sensation and found that I could access all my equipment telepathically rather than manually.  Tossing a grenade at the mini nuclear reactor about ten yards away, I fired the engines to the jetpack and grabbed the scientist as the building blew up behind me.

         Just then my telecommunicator watch lit up as Trigger’s face came into view.  “Ya’ ain’t gonna believe it, but The Crystal landed!”

         “I knew that it was going to already! Why did you report when I told you that I would contact you?!?”

         Then Katana shoved Trigger out of the webcam, “Eon just reported in, some kid absorbed The Crystal while Eon and the agent were fighting.  It caused The Crystal to send out a giant shockwave of energy, killing almost everyone nearby.  Government troops just arrived and have taken the few survivors to a secret base near Groom Lake.”

         “That’s Area 51.  How long ago did the explosion occur?”

         “About three hours ago.”

         I cut off the transmission. “Well, Mr. Scientist, we got us a new assignment!”

***

© Copyright 2012 Corran J. Holmes (tbivens at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1857800-Agent-Ace-Origin