*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1862227-How-can-you-just-sit-there
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest · #1862227
A major earthquake hits NYC.
"How can you just sit there like nothing happened? We need to take action, tell me what to do."

"I am going to the kitchen and make sure we have enough supplies. You have bottled water? I have to get through this debris. Check your phone and see if you have any reception. Maybe we can reach some people and form a survival group. Why are you just sitting there? You okay?"

"There are bottles of water and some dry goods in the pantry, for a few days. The gas range is not working, cooking is out of the question. You think the electricity will return soon? Can you hear me? You haven't moved or said anything since the earthquake. You need to snap out of it."

"Maybe you are in shock. An earthquake of this size doesn't generally hit the Big Apple, we are not really equipped for this. Take it easy, I'll create a plan for us. Still no phones though, no running water either. This is messed up."

"Are you feeling better? I covered the shattered windows with some sheets, it's not pretty but it will keep the elements and pigeons out. I cleared out some debris so we can move around the apartment a little safer but you are just sitting. What to do?"

"Alright already, this sitting still is freaking me out. I wish you were freaking out or any reaction. This is a big deal dude."

Coming around the overstuffed couch, she noticed the giant chunk of wood. Her friend had been struck, his head, from what can be seen over the sofa, was crushed. Blood pillowed his head on the faux suede fabric.

"I am alone. Scared and all alone." Then the tears rolled silently down her cheeks.

© Copyright 2012 bethie7950 (bethkorch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1862227-How-can-you-just-sit-there