*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1863832-The-Girl-with-the-Black-Umbrella
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1863832
What was supposed to be a vacation for Tate Harman, may turn out to be his demise.
The first thing I noticed was it was quiet. No beeping horns, no sirens, no angry pedestrians cursing. The second thing I noticed was that there was nothing but trees.

In all my nineteen years of existence, I've never left the city. To say I was anxious would be an understatement.

"Tate, have you ever been fishing before?" My older cousin Blake asked turning back to look at me.

"No." I said from my spot in the backseat of the black Jeep Commander.

"What about hiking?" My oldest cousin David asked as he was turning the blinkers on.

"Nope." I turned away from his blue eyes. They both have the same blue eyes and brown hair like my Dad and Uncle Dave. It's the Harman gene. But, unlike them, I take after my Mother with my Black hair and green eyes.

"That's okay, we'll do all the fun stuff while we're here, like make S'mores." Blake smiled turning back around.

After another two miles of nothing but trees, we turned down a dirt drive that leads to our summer home.

It was a big two story cabin like house, with a wraparound porch. It was faded blue, the shutters a dark blue like the roof, with a chimney perched on top.

"So, Tate, what do you think about this place?" David asked as we climbed out of the Jeep.

"There're a lot of trees." I said.

"Be careful, your body's not used to fresh air. You might go into shock." Blake grinned.

"Shut up." Not one of my best comebacks, but I was still taking in my surroundings. Grabbing my duffel bag, I followed my cousins into the cabin.

It was just as nice on the inside as it was outside. I went up the stairs and all the way down the hall to the last room left. I didn't mind, it had a great view of the woods.

Throwing my heavy bag down, I ran down the stairs two at a time, heading for the door. I was curious.

Just as I had my hand on the doorknob I heard David from what I assume was the kitchen area. "What's the rush?"

"Just want to go for a walk." I yelled back shutting the door before he could reply.

It was hot out, the sun beating down. I could hear birds, crickets and frogs. It was very different from the city.

My eyes widened as I noticed the summer house next door. It was a Gothic Victorian. I had never seen one before, only read about them in books.

It looked like a dark castle. Wrought-iron fence and old shutters that were barely hanging on. Vines crawled up the side. It looked abandoned.

My eyes trailed up the windows. One was open, the curtains fluttering in the breeze to reveal a girl with blond hair looking right at me. When the curtains flapped again she was gone.

I blinked. Was I seeing things? Or, was there really someone living in that house? With these questions reverberating in my mind, I went back inside to see what David was making for dinner.

******************************

The next day, Blake and David woke me at 5:30 to go fishing. Apparently, not being a morning person isn't a plausible excuse. So we sat in a boat in the middle of the lake for hours. We just sat there, in the quiet. There was no talking, except for Blake's occasional dirty joke.

They caught four trout; I didn't have as much luck. Finally, after they realized that it was literally impossible for me to catch a fish, we went back to the cabin. It was afternoon and I was tired.

"So, did you have fun Tate?" David asked looking over his shoulder.

"Yes." I lied.

"Now let's go gut these." Blake said smiling at his catch.

"Actually, I'm just going to go lay down in my room." I lied again. Guess I'm pretty good.

"Aren't you hungry?" Blake asked.

"No."

"Are you feeling all right?" David asked.

"Yeah, I'm just tired." That wasn't a lie.

"Okay, more for me." Blake said.

I went upstairs to my room and went through my duffel bag, taking out the books that I brought. I never go anywhere without bringing something to read. I was going to be here for two weeks so I brought my favorites.

Going over to the window seat, I got comfortable and began to read. Only getting through two paragraphs, I looked out the window.

That's when I saw her, the girl from the old house. She was walking under a black umbrella. She was real,and not just a figment of my uncontrollable imagination. So I'm not crazy!

Setting the book down I ran down stairs.

"I thought you were taking a nap!" Blake yelled.

"I changed my mind!" I replied leaving the house. Jumping off the porch, I jogged down the walk, hurrying to meet her before she passed our house. But she wasn't there.I had missed her. No!

"Excuse me, could you help me?"

I turned to see her trying to reach her umbrella that was hung on a low branch.

"I'm sorry to bother you, but I can't seem to reach." She had a hint of a British accent.

"Sure, no problem." reaching up, I easily plucked the umbrella from the tree and handed it to her. "Here you go."

"Thank you very much, my name is Arianna." She said holding her small pale hand out.

"You're welcome, I'm Tate." I replied shaking her hand.

"Well Tate, I was just going for a walk, would you care to join me?"

"Yes, that sounds fun."

She was beautiful. She had long blond hair that ran down her back like a waterfall. She had dark mysterious eyes that looked like they held many secrets, and her skin porcelain pale.

She was wearing a black sun dress to go with her umbrella. She really did look like a porcelain doll.

"So you live in that Victorian house?" I asked nonchalantly.

"I thought that was you who I saw yesterday," she smiled, "and to answer your question, yes, I live there year round."

"Year round?"

"Yes, my Aunt knows the owner of this place."

"That must be nice."

"You would think." At my look of confusion, she continued. "You see, my Aunt is sickly and wants to spend her last days here, so I take care of her."

"Wow, you're a great niece." I said.

"Well, she raised me, so it's the least I could do." She gave me a sad smile.

"So, are those two you came with your brothers?" She changed the subject.

I went along. "No, they're my cousins."

"Oh, how nice?" Her smile brightened.

"The tall quiet one is David and the crazy one is Blake."

She giggled. Her giggle was sweet. It was almost melodic.

"Well then, if David is quiet and Blake is crazy, which one are you?"

"The smart one."

That had her laughing.

She led me down a trail that took us to a part of the lake I hadn't seen while fishing. It was amazing. There were families roasting marshmallows over a fire, their kids feeding the ducks on the bank.

Arianna sat on a bench below a weeping willow. I sat down beside her and watched a man play Frisbee with his lab.

"This is my favorite spot. I like to watch people have fun." She said folding up her umbrella.

"Can I ask you something?" I said.

"Of course Tate."

"Why the umbrella? It's not raining?" I asked.

"I'm allergic to the sun." She answered.

"Oh, I'm sorry." I started.

"No, it's quite all right." She smiled. "Can I ask you something?"

I nodded yes.

"I don't get to leave this place often, as you can imagine, it gets quite boring. So would you tell me what your life is like back home?"

"Sure, but I warn you, I'm not that interesting." I said. "Okay, where to begin, well I live in the city. Never been anywhere else, so this has been a new experience for me."

"So, you're a city boy?" She raised a blond eyebrow.

"Anyways, I grinned at her, "my cousins brought me here because this is where our Grandfather used to bring my Dad and Uncle Dave when they were young."

"My Dad always promised he would take me one day, but he was always too busy with work." I continued even though I told myself to stop. I never talk about my Dad with anyone. "He died a year ago. My mother died when I was two."

"I'm so sorry." She looked down at her lap. "I know what it's like to lose your parents at a young age, it's hard. I was lucky to have my Aunt."

"Yes, I suppose I'm lucky for my family too," I said, "But, I still get lonely at collage. If it wasn't for books, I don't know what I'd do."

"Oh, books are what make living here bearable. What are your favorites?" She asked anxiously.

"Well....where should I begin?" I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

***********************************

The next three days went by fast. Between me trying to survive the crazy activities my cousins seem to think are fun: hiking, canoeing, etc. and spending every afternoon talking to Arianna about anything and everything.

Which, is where I was at the moment.

"You did not almost tip over the canoe?" Arianna laughed in disbelief.

"Yes I did!" I said. "I bet that's the last time they try to take me canoeing."

We were sitting on our bench under the weeping willow as I recounted the day's events with my cousins. She enjoyed all of my stories. Laughing and smiling with every word I said.

"Excuse me; have you seen my dog, Max?" A man said walking up to us. "He is a yellow lab."

"Why yes, I saw a cute yellow lab around my house earlier," Arianna said, "I could show you where, if you like?"

"Yes, thank you so much, my name is Hank." The man smiled in relief.

"My name is Arianna, just follow me." She said motioning for me to come too.

Just as I was about to follow I heard Blake call, "Tate! Come on!"

Before I could yell at Blake to go home, Arianna said. "Tate, go ahead, I've got this."

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"I'm positive, now go." She assured me.

Walking over to Blake I said irritably, "What?"

"It's dinner time, jeez, you know, even the lovesick have to eat." Blake said.

"I am not lovesick!"

"Sure thing lover boy." Blake took off at a run. I was right behind him.

*************************************

The next day I went to our spot looking for Arianna, but she wasn't there. Setting down on the bench, I looked around at all of the people running and playing. I noticed Hank and his dog, Max, was nowhere to be found. Huh.

Come to think of it, there seemed to be less people out here today than there normally are. They must be hiking or something. Good luck to them.

A red ball came rolling to my feet. I stood and kicked it back to the group of kids playing.

"Thank you!" One kid yelled.

I waved as I was walking away. I was going to see if Arianna was at home.

As I was walking, I saw Arianna talking to a guy a little older than me, and tried to pretend that that wasn't jealousy I felt.

"Ari, there you are." I said coming to stand beside her.

"Oh, hi Tate, this is James, James this is Tate." She introduced. "I was just telling James that I saw his girlfriend walking that way looking for him." She pointed to the old abandoned community center down past our houses.

"Thank you Miss." James said heading that way.

"Ari, I'm glad I found you," I began, "I was wondering if you would like to..."

She cut me off. "Actually Tate, my Aunt isn't doing well today. So I need a rain check, is that okay?"

"Yeah, sure." I said as I watched her and her black umbrella walk away. Well, there's always tomorrow.

*********************************

Tomorrow came, and with it came Blake barging into my room at six in the morning.

"Rise 'n' shine Tate," Blake pulled the blanket away, "time to get up!"

"Mer." I mumbled pulling the pillow over my head.

"Come on Tate, we're going hiking!"

He was way to happy in the mornings. This just goes to prove my ever growing theory that Blake was not human. Because any human would know, it's too early for this crap.

Despite my efforts, I ended up hiking. And despite my foul mood and laziness, I ended up loving it.

Moss covered trees and rocky, steep cliffs. Bridges over flowing creeks, and deer grazing in an open field. Fallen trees and hollow caverns. Also, there were rocks and wild tree roots along the trail. I learned to watch where I stepped.

Five miles and six hours later, we were heading back to the cabin. All of us were happy, tired and hungry.

We were getting close to the house when we noticed a bunch of people freaking out.

Walking over to them David said. "What's going on?"

To my surprise, Arianna emerged from the crowd to answer. "Their children are missing. I was just telling them how I saw a group of kids go into the woods over there." She pointed to the woods just behind our houses.

"We were about to go search as a group." A man said from the group.

"All right, follow me everyone." Arianna said.

Just as I was about to follow David pulled me back. "We will go look that way."

Arianna turned to look at us. "Oh?"

"It will be better if we split up." Blake said. "Cover more ground."

"Good thinking." She turned and led the parents into the woods.

"Look that way? But she said they went in the other direction?" I asked confused.

"I know, but something isn't right." David said.

"What?" I demanded.

"I don't know, I just don't trust her."

"Why?" I was starting to get mad.

"Tate, why don't we save this argument for after we find the kids." Blake intervened.

"Yeah, all right." I let it go.

We searched for hours. It was starting to get dark by the time we made it back.

We were tired, no; we were more like the walking dead. My legs ached and I couldn't keep my eyes open. the worst part was, we saw no sign of the children.

"Tate! There you are!" Arianna came to meet us. "We found the children about thirty minutes ago. The parents took them home."

"That's great." I said.

"So, do you think I could cash in my rain check tomorrow?" She smiled.

I returned it. "Of course, maybe we could..."

"Actually, we have plans for tomorrow, maybe another day." David cut me off as Blake dragged me into the house.

I was too tired to get angry, so I let it go, for now. I barely made it to my bed before I was dead to the world.

*******************************

when I woke I was sure I had slept more than twelve hours and didn't move once during the night. My joints creaking in protest from over use and then none.

I took a hot shower and got dressed. The hot water helped my joints.

Then I went to the kitchen for breakfast. Blake and David were already digging into a huge stack of pancakes when I got there.

"We were beginning to wonder if you were ever going to wake up." Blake teased.

"Good morning." David said.

"Meh." I mumbled.

"Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed." Blake said. "Want some pancakes?"

"Coffee." I said setting down with a cup.

Once I had two cups of coffee in me, I asked. "So, what are we doing today?"

"Don't know yet." David said.

"But you said we had plans." I said.

"Tate, listen, I don't think you should be spending so much time with that girl. " David said.

What's wrong with Arianna?" I asked.

"Well, she's a little weird." Blake said.

"So, I'm weird too!" I shot back.

"Tate, I just don't trust her." That was the second time David had said that.

"Why? Has she said something to you?"

"No, I just have a bad feeling about her."

"You don't even know her!"

"And you do? You just met her last week." Blake said.

"I know her. She's my friend!" I said in a dangerous voice.

"Look Tate, I know you like her, but there are lots of girls at your collage." David said.

"What are you saying?" I asked.

"I'm saying I forbid you from seeing her again." David stated.

"Who do you think you are?" I said incredulously. "You can't tell me what to do!"

"Tate..."

"No!" I cut Blake off. "I don't have to listen to this." I stood and started for the door.

"Where are you going?" David asked.

To find Arianna!" I slammed the door and took off running to our spot under the weeping willow.

When I got there I found she wasn't. What was I thinking? It is still early; she's still at her house. I guess everyone else is too. The recreational area was completely abandoned, save for the ducks.

I sat down on the bench, trying to calm down. How could they say that about Arianna? She is the nicest person I've ever met.

She's always helping to find lost puppies and children. She's not weird, just observant. Though I could see how they think she is a little different. That's what I like about her. I'm sure if I explain they will understand.

With this new resolve, I stood and started back to the cabin. I decided to apologize.

I ran back and up the porch, through the door and to the kitchen, but they weren't there. I checked every room in the house, they were gone.

I went outside to find the Jeep empty and parked exactly where David left it.

Starting to really worry, I decided to go and see Arianna had seen them.

As I got closer to her house, I noticed her black umbrella lay open on her walk way.

Picking it up as I went I knocked on her door and it barely creaked open. I peeked in, but it was too dark to see.

"Ari!" I called into the darkness.

Not getting a reply, I stepped inside and tried again. "Ari, are you there?"

Silence. I was beginning to wonder if the rapture had happened, and I was the only one left.

Walking farther into the house, I went into the living room that was lit by candles. Looking around in the dim light, my eyes landed on a red ball at the base of the stairs. It looked familiar, but I couldn't place it.

Going up the stairs I looked in all the rooms. There wasn't anyone in this house. Strange, I thought she had a sick Aunt in here somewhere.

As I was about to leave, I heard a rustling noise from above. Looking up, I saw a small attic door with a string for a handle.

Pulling on the handle, the door opened and unfolded into a latter. I started climbing them slowly, telling myself it was probably just a squirrel.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

What I saw when I reached the top of the latter wasn't a cute little furry critter, but the worst of nightmares.

"Oh, hello Tate, would you like to join me for some tea?" Arianna said sitting at a little table with a china cup of red liquid too thick to be tea. but, that wasn't what had me frozen in fear.

Arianna wasn't alone at her tea party. she was surrounded by dead bodies propped up in chairs with tea cups in their frozen, stiff hands.

The smell of decay was thick in the air, doubled with the sight before me. I got sick.

"Tate, sweetheart, are you all right?" She started for me.

"Stay away from me!" I hacked out.

Before I could blink she grabbed me and, knocking a corpse carelessly to the floor, sat me in a chair. "Now, why would I do that?"

"Arianna, w-what have y-you done?" I stammered.

"I told you Tate," she smiled, "it gets dreadfully boring out here. I just wanted some friends to play with." She said innocently.

"What are you?"

Taking a sip from her tea cup, she smiled and two little fangs slid into sight. "Why Tate, I believe you've read enough books to know what I am, love."

"A Vampire?"

"Yes love."

"Don't call me that!"

"But I love you Tate, you're not like anyone I've met before. You make me smile and laugh."

I stood on shaky legs and looked at the bodies of former campers. The man and his dog, the guy and his girlfriend, even the children. They were all dressed in nice cloths, the women in make-up.

I shook my head in disgust. "No, anyone who kills can't possibly be capable of love. Monsters can't love."

"I love you Tate," she stood, "I don't want to be alone anymore."

"What about your sick Aunt?"

"What Aunt?"

"What about the owner of this place?"

She smiled wickedly. "You're looking at her."

She took a step towards me and I stepped back, tripping over the corpse she knocked off the chair earlier. I landed across two lifeless bodies setting on a couch.

Tears formed in my eyes when I recognized the bodies. David and Blake, they must have come looking for me.

"How could you!" I yelled running for the exit.

Before I could reach, she grabbed and pinned me to the floor. "No you don't, you're not going anywhere."

"Are you going to kill me now?" I asked.

"No love, you are going to stay here with me forever. I won't kill you." She smiled like a predator. "Just don't ever make me mad."



















© Copyright 2012 Hollowmelody (hollowmelody at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1863832-The-Girl-with-the-Black-Umbrella