*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1864175-Cabin-By-The-Pond
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Dean
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Personal · #1864175
The Escape For A Soul Thief.
As I sit here, just looking at the cabin across the pond, I am entranced by the serenity of the mirror-like surface of the water, which is a striking contrast from the jagged mountains in the distance, their peaks already gently touched by the early snows.

The wisp of smoke from the fireplace in the cabin drifts through the crisp fall air. The warm glow of lights in the window invites me to come back in and unwind after a long day. Soon... but for now I only wish to take in the beauty all around me.

The stream flowing from the mountains, cascading over a few small waterfalls feed the pond, but will soon be frozen over. The trees are beginning to put on their autumn clothing, fiery reds, oranges and gold colors fill the landscape. The amber fields, once green meadows, filled with wildflowers, now preparing for a season of snow covered rest. A few evergreens dot the forest as a reminder that life goes on despite the changes all around.

I always enjoy coming back to this place, so why did it take me so long this time? It has been far too long. Caught up in the daily grind. Trapped by the machine and its shiny baubles that keep people enslaved; its promises of safety, comfort and security. Yeah, right!

I was a soul thief for the monster. My job was to persuade the unsuspecting masses into thinking that the happiness they were looking for was just in the next bright new package. And with only a little bondage to the machine, they would have the bright promise of a fulfilled life.
So, they sell their souls to the beast for some trinkets and false promises, and find out that they didn't buy happiness at all, but don't worry, you can find it in the next purchase, and with easy financing, what could possibly stop you from finding the joy that you so rightfully deserve?

The monster can never be appeased without more souls! It feeds on the life-force of the slaves. The more slaves that it possesses, the more insatiable its appetite becomes. The creature passes this passion to the slaves who become a mirror image of their master; a ferocious drive for more, crushing all that oppose them, or slow their maniacal consumption.
Life means nothing if it gets in the way of the slaves crazed pursuit of new shiny things that will finally give them the peace and happiness they seek.

It was hard making a break from the beast of consumerism. Capitalism is a good thing. Organized capital can be a benefit to all mankind, bringing things to people that enhance life. But when capitalism becomes defiled by greed, and devolves into brash consumerism, it steals that very life through the lies that it tells the hapless victims that it enslaves with promises of a better, happier life, that comes with just a few more payments. And don't forget, zero down delivers!

This freedom does have a price that must be paid, but it is worth the cost. Many are unwilling to pay the price of freedom, and make the necessary sacrifice... You must learn to think for yourself! You cannot let the machine make your decisions for you, because it will always choose to keep you in bondage through fear.

But I came here to leave that all behind. The cabin is my special place to get away from it all, and not have to think about the past, the pressures, and the problems. I come here to be me, the real me that doesn't hide behind a label, job description, title or degree. this is where I go to just be.
Now is the time to rest, and as the sun sets over the mountains, the warm glow of the lights in the cabin windows is more welcome than ever.

If a shot rings out in the woods, and no one is around to hear it, you're jet as dead.

© Copyright 2012 Dean (dsmastern at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1864175-Cabin-By-The-Pond