*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1864834-Runaway
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Drama · #1864834
A short start to a chapter book... Who knows what it will turn into.
I sprinted across the street dodging cars as they flew by. What did I get myself into? I thought. I jumped down two flights of steps and ran into the park's public restroom as I slammed the door behind me. A boy won't follow me into the girl's room will he? I locked the door and looked around. The grimy toilet was on the opposite side of the room with a stained glass window above it. The concrete floor was cold, and smooth under my feet. The only other thing in the room was a sink to my right. It looked like it hadn't been used in a while, and the mirror looked about the same.
I pulled the sleeves of my Abby Dawn sweatshirt further down my arms to protect against the chill. Then, I shuffled over to the toilet and stood up on it carefully to lock the window. I didn't want to take any chances. After I looked around the room and listened for other sounds I went to the mirror and used my sleeve to wipe it off. My deep blue eyes were red from crying, and my lips were dry, and cracked. I pulled my purple hood down to examine the damage. My straight blonde hair ran down to my armpits and was tangled up with leaves and sticks. My face was caked with mud, and I had just noticed a cut from my left eye to my ear. I touched it and flinched. He gave this to me. I turned on the faucet and let the water flow at a steady pace. I had to clean up.
After I fixed up my hair and cleaned my wounds I looked myself over. My jeans were tattered, and my flip flops were on the edge of breaking, but I would have to live with that. I shuttered. Live. I might not live at all. I stood at the door wondering if he were out there. Will he jump me? Will I walk into a trap? I had to take a chance.
I turned the handle and heard the click of the lock. Then, I took a deep breath, opened the door, and ran. I kept running along the street, and ducked behind buildings every once in a while to stay hidden. This is too easy. I thought. He could have killed me by now. I took a turn and headed toward the nearest shoe store. I had some money still left in my pocket. I needed new shoes anyway.
Once I got inside I went to the tennis shoe isle, and grabbed the cheapest pair in my size. There wasn't a line at the check out counter, so I bought the shoes with a pair of socks, and hurried on out.
He is playing cat and mouse, I thought. That's why I am still alive.
© Copyright 2012 Mystic memories (funchissy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1864834-Runaway