*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1826074-Danger
Rated: E · Draft · Young Adult · #1826074
A start to a story I will probably never finish.
Splash! My feet hit the puddles at a run, and my sweatshirt was already soaked down to the bone. It has been almost an hour of running and I was about to collapse. If they caught me then they would figure out who I was, and they would kill me. Some people call me Danger, or Evil, but I like to think of myself as Justice. That's probably why I chose the name Justin for myself. Either way I am not human. Running is one of my only weaknesses, and I am not sure why.

I took a sharp turn into an alley and jumped up onto a dumpster for a better view. It was a blind alley with only one 'humanly' exit. I looked at the wall behind me. It was at a perfect 90 degree angle, and was made of bricks. I ran my hand along the worn out mortar as my chest rose and fell at an alarmingly fast rate. The wall felt as if it had been sanded down, and seemed impossible to climb. I smiled. 'Impossible'. It seems like such a ridiculous word. Then, the sound of Motors came towards the alley.

"Justin. What are you doing?" James' soft voice came from a motorcycle. I turned around and saw that he looked so sad, and small on his brother's old bike. His brother Jack was on the first bike, and pulling out a gun. I had pretended to be James' friend to cause trouble for Jack. I took a second look at James and frowned. He looked hurt. Could i be feeling sorry for him? I had never had feelings before. I shook my head. I couldn't think about it now.

"No?" Jack asked referring to my head shake. "What a pity. I wanted to use my new gun." I must have blanked out for part of the conversation because he was smiling at me evilly like he had just said the funniest joke on Earth. "Don't mess with me DEVIL."

I laughed at that. Devil?!? 'Just another name to add to my long list' I thought. It was their turn to frown. I don't think they like being laughed at. Jack loaded his gun, and pointed. BANG!

'Miss' I thought as I turned and bolted up the brick wall. I reached the 10 story roof in 7 seconds flat. A new record. I turned around for a second to look at their faces. Their eyes were wide, and their chins dropped to the floor. 'Another typical day' I thought.

I started the walk along the roof and shivered. My adrenaline was starting to die down. The term 'high on life' comes to me quite often. It's the only feeling I have ever had. 'Time to find the next one' my mind told me. I am a spirit, and my job is to find the people who have caused pain in others lives, and make them feel the same way. Jack had beaten up a 12 year old girl last week for her money so, I was going to return the favor by breaking Jack's collarbone. It's sort of like the saying 'what goes around comes around'. I'll get him next time.

It had stopped raining and I wanted to relax. I went to the edge of the roof I was on and looked down. No one was around so I jumped. I landed like a cat and kept walking. I was perfectly dry, and ready to get something to drink. Not that a spirit needs to eat or drink, but it has become a habit.

I stepped into the closest bar and saw my reflection in the nearest window as I sat down. I looked every bit a 'bad boy'. I looked like I was 18 with deep brown, dangerous eyes, and long black hair. The thing about spirits is that they always look good, and they don't age. I could tell the truth and say that I was thousands of years old, but no one would believe me.

"Shouldn't you be wet kid?" the bar tender asked.

"I must have just missed the rain." I say with a dazzling smile.

"Hey. Are you old enough to be here?" He wondered. I got this a lot.

"See for yourself." I said sliding him my fake I.d. That said that I was 22 years old.

"Alright kid. What do you want?" he mumbled as he cleaned the rest of his shot glasses.

"I'm too tired to care." I said slumping in my chair. I was aware that most of the girls in the bar were staring at me, and I didn't want to look perfect. It is always weird being on a strangers radar no matter how you look at it.

"Okay. How 'bout some hard liquor?" the bar tender said grabbing me a glass. Then, he leaned over and whispered in my ear. "You're lucky. With your looks you could pick up every girl in the place."

"Not interested." I said back as I took a drink. The bar tender frowned and went back to work. I turned in my chair to look at my surroundings. It was a small bar, but it was packed. Around seven women and ten men. I knew that if I didn't get out soon that I would be the center of attention. It's not easy being different. I placed my money on the table then walked out.

I was starting to get that sensation in mind that comes whenever the 'spirit leader' calls. I decided to head back to my car. Well, it isn't exactly my car, but it is a car that is now in my possession. To Texas I mumbled. I don't know how but when I got that feeling I would always know where to go.

The feeling always started with a tickle at the back of my brain. Then, it would slowly grow and work it's way to the back of my eyes until it grew into a picture of the place I needed to go, and the person I needed to look for.
© Copyright 2011 Mystic memories (funchissy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1826074-Danger