*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1865237-My-views-on-felons-and-society
Rated: E · Other · Opinion · #1865237
My opinion about felons and owning guns.
I am writing about my thoughts on felons and how I feel some should be allowed to carry a hunting rifle. Many people say that if you are a felon then you are no good and don't deserve to own a hunting rifle. Well to those who judge felons and people have committed crimes, I must say, look in a mirror and take a look at your past. Many felons made mistakes when they where teenagers and young adults. So lets say between the ages of 16-21. I personally know a lot of good people who got mixed with the wrong crowd, been lied to by others, and now they have felonies on their records for such things as drugs and assault.

I do not think all felons should be banned from owning a hunting rifle. If you commit a felony, and NO weapon was involved, then why should your right to bear arms be taken from you? The government and society says once you commit a crime then you will always be basically no good. That is far from the truth. I know a lot of men and women who have changed their ways and are better people, but it is society who does not give people second chances. For example, say you are a father who went hunting every year with your son. Then at eighteen your son commits a felony that was a mistake, and you know he is truly a good person. Would it not hurt knowing your son could never hunt with you again? All because of a mistake he made at eighteen.

I feel there should be a waiting period. If a felon can stay clean and gets into no more trouble after five years from his release from prison, then his/her felonies should be waived. Now I don't think murderers and violent criminals should ever own guns or ever be relaesed from prison. They have proved that they will use weapons at any cost.

Another thing I see society do, is judge people for being a felon. Like I said earlier, if a eighteen year old kid committed a felony act, you shouldn't hold that against them. Many teenagers make simple mistakes and hang with the wrong crowd. Peer pressure and bullying can make the sweetest, nicest people do the most dispicable things. It is sad when a felon tries to get a job, he or she is trying to start their life over and become a succesful person in society, but yet society judges thems and treats them like they are the devil. Do not judge someone, do not talk about someone, all because of their record. Especially if they have been clean and staying out of trouble years after their crime. I mean, how many of you have done illegal acts in your life? I bet almost all of you, if not all of you. The only difference is they got caught and you didn't. So I say to government and society, before you take everything away from people for making mistakes, think about the things you've done and ask yourself how you would feel if your rights where taken away from you over a simple mistake made when you where young?
© Copyright 2012 Russkie27 (russkie27 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1865237-My-views-on-felons-and-society